Moose hunting Video--Would you Have Taken This Shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Moose hunting Video--Would you Have Taken This Shot?

Post by Hi5 »

"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
vixenmaster

Re: Moose hunting Video--Would you Have Taken This Shot?

Post by vixenmaster »

Hell yeah & kicked the Bull in the butt as he went by! You only live once that was exciting!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

That was a "dumbass" move on all counts. Besides being too close for comfort, the angle was wrong, resulting in the moose being gut shot. It was only by the grace of God that the hunter, and I use that term loosely, came out of that unscathe.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

If I'm not mistaken, the hunter is the editor of Bowhunter Magazine. They
showed the hunt on their TV show. It looked like a terrible angle. I'm
suprised they aired it. Supposedly they did recover the moose. I'd like to
say that I'd never take that shot, but maybe adrenaline would overpower
common sense
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

The bowhunter in that video is Dwight Schuh. He's probably killed more animals with a bow than any 3 of us combined...and I've killed a lot of critters with a stick and string. In fact, if memory serves me correct, he only hunts with a bow. I can remember reading his articles 20 years or more ago.

As for the shot, I went frame by frame when it appeared on TV with my TiVo. I saw that film on Bowhunter TV last year and the online video that was posted on this forum. The arrow went in at the neck, between the shoulders and looks like a pass through. That's why the bull kicked. It's a deadly shot depending on where the arrow enters. It may hit the jugular and if not, it will certainly get the lungs or perhaps even the heart (again, it depends on the shot placement). I've killed more than a few whitetails with a quartering toward me shot as well as a head on shot. You have to know where to place the arrow and have confidence you can put it where it needs to go.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I thought that looked like Dwight Schuh. I used to subscribe to his magazine, that is until they outright turned their backs on the crossbow and crossbow hunter.
I would never take a shot at that angle, that is why Dwight ended up gut shooting that Moose. In the slo-mo at the end of the clip it looks like gut shot, even though at regular speed it looks like neck. I would have expect better. If he was just a little more patient it looks like it would have been broadside. I wonder if he recovered it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

OkXbowHunter wrote:The bowhunter in that video is Dwight Schuh. He's probably killed more animals with a bow than any 3 of us combined...and I've killed a lot of critters with a stick and string. In fact, if memory serves me correct, he only hunts with a bow. I can remember reading his articles 20 years or more ago.

As for the shot, I went frame by frame when it appeared on TV with my TiVo. I saw that film on Bowhunter TV last year and the online video that was posted on this forum. The arrow went in at the neck, between the shoulders and looks like a pass through. That's why the bull kicked. It's a deadly shot depending on where the arrow enters. It may hit the jugular and if not, it will certainly get the lungs or perhaps even the heart (again, it depends on the shot placement). I've killed more than a few whitetails with a quartering toward me shot as well as a head on shot. You have to know where to place the arrow and have confidence you can put it where it needs to go.
You may be right in your analysis. However, when you watch from the 1minute 14 seconds point of the video, it sure looks as though the skin moves just in front of the moose's right hip. That may have been a muscle twitch, I acknowledge. However, I sure suspect it was an arrow impact. I really doubt that the way the moose was presenting that an arrow could have got around the front right shoulder. It certainly wouldn't have busted its way through a moose's shoulder bone.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

What some of you are not taking into account is the angle of the Cameraman in relationship to Dwight. The Camera guy is off to the left. Dwight is more lined up with the Moose.

If you can find the show on TV and you have TiVo or some other type of DVR, check it out at frame per frame.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think I would have waited till it was broadside or quartering away, more than 6' away lol.

I had a bear charge me like that but luckily I had my .30-06 and blew it's head off right infront of me... :lol:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I was on a Elk hunt about the late 80's and Dwight was also on that hunt. I talked quit a bit with him and he appear to me to be a hell of a hunter with great respect for the animal and the sport. I am sure he knew exactly where that arrow point would hit. He is one of the best bowmen I 've ever had the pleasure to share a hunt with. :) 8)
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

No, not me. I just wouldn't have the confidence (courage?) to take that shot.

Bill K.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

If the moose is coming in he's coming in!
If I'm standing that close I'm probably gonna take a whack at him if he goes broadside or passes by and offers a quartering away shot.
I don't think I would have taken the quartering towards me shot.

Either way I would hope I had a change of shorts in my pack!! :shock:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

oxbowhunter is right, i saw the episode on wild tv when they aired it last year or the year before. He shot him in the neck. the bull charged him but at the last minute, right when the camera man dove, the moose spun 180 and ran out the way he came in, they recovered him outside of the thick trees they were in not too fay away. I believe they also talked about it on a later episode as well.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

With creative editing and special effects one can't be sure what is seen is what occurred. What I do know is that if what is seen in the clip is true, it was a BONE -HEAD move. He might have been a proficient hunter in days gone by, but age has caught up to him. He was spared from a tragic ending by the grace of God, not by his professed skill. Next time he might not be so lucky.

You know what they say, "If you play with the bull, sooner or later you get the horns"
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

any animal that close "WILL" present a broadside shot no matter how fast it might turn away from you....so you don't get that 6 foot shot and have to settle on a 8 foot shot :roll: ....my god man wait for the broadside shot with an animal that close, it has to turn right or left or will step on you :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.