Bears can be scary...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

Bears can be scary...

Post by fratri »

Bear hunt September 19, 2010

I went up to a new friends camp and did a quick weekend bear hunt and scored with a 225 lb bear. It was a good hunt and only took my 3rd sitting in a remote area only accessabile by ATV before this guys showed this morning around 8:30 am. took him with a .270 at 15 yds. He went about 25 ft, no death moan. Taking my bear wasn't the highlite of the trip the following story is....

BEARS CAN BE UNPREDICTABLE

After our late breakfast Kirk had to go freshen up some baits so me and a non hunter, (non hunter up with his brother hoping to video tape a bear) wanted to tag along. We get to the first bait site and begin to walk in. Kirk has the feed over his shoulder, non hunter is carrying a pale of oil and I am carrying the shotgun incase a bear is at the bait. It has been raining steady now for about an hour. As we get close to the bait site, Kirk lets me take the lead and I walk in and look around no bear in sight. Kirk picks up the barrel, starts banging it around to loosen up the remaining bait in the barrel. I walk around a bit and notice Kirk is having a hard time opening the new bait sack. So I sling my gun over my shoulder and take out my knife, cut open the feed sack. As Kirk is spilling the feed into the barrel and me putting my knife back into its holder I notice non hunter do a quick motion. I look over to see a bear charging in on us, Kirk screams shoot him Frank, shoot him, This bear (not sure where he came from) stopped less than 10 yds from us turned and ran off. I manage to get the gun up and let off two shots in haste just to scare him off. I missed with both shots. I mean they were fired in a quick haste. That was the most fearful thing anyone of us ever experienced. Looking back it is safe to laugh about it but at the time, it was a real scary situation…. The best we can figure is the bear must of heard us hitting the barrel and thought another bear was taking his food and came in to defend his meal. Only when the bear heard shoot him, we think then it realized we were human and turned to run…. We also figured we did not hear the bear on the count of the rain coming down hard at this point…. Fun wow….

Kirk’s brother hunted this bait later on in the evening (sat) and took a 90lb bear. Kirk hunted it Sunday morning and took a 125lb bear…the bear that came into us was roughly 250lbs and still on the loose…

Enjoy the following pics of my bear... Frank

The view

The finish

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
VixChix

Re: Bears can be scary...

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATULATIONS on your bear!!!!!

I'm a little freaked out by bears. I rarely have nightmares, but when I do they involve bears....
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Wife is from Dawson Creek BC. For many years when she moved here she wouldn't go into a bush even if it was a little treestand in the middle of a field. (yes we met on internet 15 years ago.) She would say "I am not going in without a rifle." I assured her there are very few bears here where we live. We have no season for bears. Now I am a little different, I am building a 3D archery coarse and I always take a rifle with me now. To many reports of cougars and yote attacts! hehehehe I am turning a little like she was now. :) :) Maybe we will become the hunted. Bring it on!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer good Bear, good story you told nice pic's thx.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

I live in northern ontario and we do have alot of bears up here..(no spring bear hunt anymore) Two years ago my wife and I saddled up the horses and went for a ride across from our house..we went about 200 yrds. in the bush on a trail and came to a "Y" . I looked to our left and there is a cub , no sow in sight . We turned back towards home at a trot and went about 50 yrds. I looked over my right shoulder and here comes the sow, running at us through the bush..fortunately our horses did not get wind of her. I gave my horse a squeeze and he shifted gears and I didn't look back..I can still see her eyes staring at me..It's very intimidating when your not packing your Remington..two weeks ago I was reloading my deer feeder and decided to sit in my stand for a bit...and look who should up..He wanted his tree back. fortunately I was able to spook him off..most bears will turn the other cheek and run..but you have to be smart in the woods...make noise occasionally or talk to your partner, whistle as long as a bear hears you coming and you don't spook him.. the better off you'll be. I apologize for the quality of the pic.. it was getting dark. congrats on the bear and great story Frank
Attachments
Bear 101 (2).JPG
Bear 101 (2).JPG (79.43 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
Last edited by RAMAMOE on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
catcher

Post by catcher »

Very Nice. :D congrats. I had a bear climb the tree I was hunting in once and scared the crap out of me. And trust me I love to hunt I will hunt everything. But to this day I am in no big hurry to go bear hunting if a buddy calls me up to go with him. It really shook me up. I feel like Goose in top gun. I lost my edge ( only with bears though ) :lol: :lol:
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

A buddy of mine sent me this...Apparently it was taken up in Chapleau Ont. I could see this happening to me..one of my tree stands is in a tree that shows signs a bear has been climbing it :D
Attachments
IMG_44091 (2).jpg
IMG_44091 (2).jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
IMG_44111 (2).jpg
IMG_44111 (2).jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

That Bear is waiting for opening day of hunter season. :lol:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.