no - any deer kill is an accomplishment
89%
yes - bucks are all I hunt
11%

Total votes: 101

wabi

sexist????????

Post by wabi »

Reading posts and thinking this morning and that combination can be dangerous! :lol:

My first thought when reading a member's post about a crossbow kill and the comments posted was that many of us display sexist attitudes!
Congratulation on your DOE, or congratulations on your BUCK is often written. Why not "congratulations on a fine DEER!"????? (I know some members DO say that already, and I commend them for it)

Why do we feel compelled to distinguish between bucks and does when we kill a deer and report our success and tell our stories?

Those of us who hunt/trap small game & furbearers seldom, if ever, point out the sex of the critters we harvest. I'm not going to tell people, "I killed 4 squirrels this morning, one buck and three does.", so why do we feel compelled to announce, "I killed a buck (or doe) when it's a deer?

I know a lot of us remember the day when "bucks only" was the rule for deer hunting, but today few, if any, regions have a rule like that today. Ohio limits the kill to one "antlered" deer a year, but if it's an antlered doe I believe it still counts! :lol:

A lot of people have the attitude that a buck is much more (not sure of the word to use, respectable? - worthy? - important?) than a doe. I even know hunters that are still unwilling to shoot a doe even if they need meat!

Do people not realize that any deer kill is an accomplishment, especially with archery equipment?

This year I hope to be posting pics and stories of the deer I kill, but I think I'll take a new approach.
I'll post the story (and hopefully picture proof) and say I "killed this deer", and let members guess the sex if they feel the need to. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you kill a deer I'm going to congratulate you (unless I miss the post :oops: ) regardless of it's sex, and I hope you do the same for all other forum members!

I know most game departments require we distinguish buck/doe or antlered/antlerless for their data, but why can't we just call 'em DEER here on the forum?
If you're skilled, stealthy, and crafty enough to get close enough to put an arrow in one's vitals you deserve to be congratulated, and you shouldn't feel shamed because it wasn't wearing impressive antlers!

I, personally, think the young (uneducated, but most often no less wary) ones taste the best, so I'm not looking for antlers to fill my freezer. Never could tell the difference between a button buck or young doe when it's fried up and laying on my plate. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Saturday's the big day here, but the deer are in hibernation I think. :shock:
My cam at the feeder is getting 15-20 pics a day instead of 200 now. I figure it's either hibernation or acorns are falling, and I'm going to find the answer very soon. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Re: sexist????????

Post by Pydpiper »

I would guess some people take the whole hunt so serious that no detail in the description is to be overlooked, sex, weight, time of day.. Much in the same way when you go fishing you tell us what breed fish you caught, bluegill, speckled.. instead of just saying "fish". :D
And then there are others who put their sights on a particular deer, like an 8 point that shows up on a camera, they focus so hard on that deer that a form of tunnel vision takes place, again, sparing no details in the description.
To me, a deer is a deer is a deer. I do not have the skills to pursue a particular brute and I have no interest in the technology some use to harvest their animal. I do know that when I do slip an arrow through one, regardless of the sex I have to include every possible detail to who ever will listen. :D
That time is coming soon!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Most of the time when you tell another hunter you got a deer the first thing they ask, a buck or a doe? So now you know the rest of the story :) :) :) :) :)
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I know for me and most archery hunters just getting close enough to make a clean kill with a bow-xbow is where it is at thats what draws you to archery. getting past the eyes,noes,and ears is hard. so to me any kill with archery is a trophy to a certain degree. Its obvious that bucks are fun to kill because i cant hang the doe racks on my wall but i can the bucks. I get a big satisfaction out of being able to down a wise doe it doesnt happen often but given the chance i will. i got one in mind right now who has made my life miserable in the bush..but i like eatn young doe the best..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

We have been conditioned to automaticaly call a deer a buck or doe. It comes naturally to most of us. Kind of like calling all facial tissue kleenex. It should mean anything really, in fact some may say that a old doe is a tougher deer to kill if you were to target one specific one.

But some hunters are "sexist" when it comes to hunting in that they only target big bucks. Nothing really wrong with that in my opinion if the meat is used. It only becomes a problem if one group judges the other.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
the elf

Post by the elf »

The zone I am in in Ontario-has either antlered or antlerless categories----antlered being horns longer than 3 inches. Also this year my zone has a 1 deer per licence----with no chance to buy any extra tags.This year I got lucky and got an antlerless permit---so I will be
looking for anything that happens to wander by---sex doesn't matter. Sometimes it is quite a while between deer sightings--and if you get too picky you might end up having tag soup.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Wabi,
Why get so worked up about something like this? As with all of us here who have chosen the Crossbow as our weapon of choice, who cares what others shoot, or think? It should always be a personal accomplishment for a hunter. Harvest what you will, as long as its legal and be proud. I agree that too much emphasis is placed on "trophy" bucks. This is done due to the marketing of deer hunting that has invaded a "pure" sport the past few years.
I am a buck hunter as a personal goal. I also harvest does. But a nice buck is my goal. I don't care if you or anyone has a problem with that, just like you shouldn't care how I feel about what you harvest. I'm happy if your happy! And I will congratulate you with all my heart for your harvest, whatever it is.
In the Wind.......
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I'm not after a buck or doe... I'm after a Big Buck:)

We just see so many doe killed it doesn't really stand out unless its a brute of a buck to most:). Some of us are obessed with antlers... Cough cough;)

Its just natural to say nice buck or doe.. That's what I've always called them since I was 4
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I don't think anyone is really getting worked up here, true enough, most outdoor sport programs you see on T.V. or on video these days are geared towards the harvest of "mature bucks" promoting the taking of trophy class animals. Here in the South (can't speak for the Northern part of the country) deer season is like dove season, it's a social event, everyone and their brother goes because everyone else does. Probably 95 to 98 percent of the people who go hunting are looking to harvest a "deer", headgear optional. However, participation in the sport tends to dwindle off the colder winter gets for some reason, leaving only the most dedicated hunters to hunt the rest of the season.

The Whitetail is the most sought after game in the United States and as long as T.V. shows and videos are geared toward "that trophy of a lifetime" then I don't think the taking of a doe will ever draw the same reaction that one gets from bringing in a buck does, whether it sports a set of spikes or a Rock’n Chair.

I’ll even take it one step further and I am just as guilty as the next guy. How many times have you looked at your wall(s) thinking about where you are going to put the next mount before you get it? Now… how many of use have set in the arm chair thinking, “Boy a doe would look great over there next to that turkey mount”? I’ll bet it don’t happen very often.

As with most of us on this form, myself included, it pretty much goes down to putting meat in the freezer to help supplement the grocery list. None of us would pass up a 150 or 160 class buck just to take a doe for the freezer but we have to remember that some still look at it as a sport, not a need to fill the freezer. They do not want or care for the meat that much and may even give it away when they get it.

They are mentally geared up to push themselves at being the most efficient, predator in the woods. They feel the need to match wits with the most mature and canniest Buck that they can find simply because they have the need to push themselves at being the best that they can be at what ever they do. And you know what, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone should have the personal choice to being which ever hunter they choose to be. Some things can’t be changed no matter how you try and then some things can, but the sexist part of deer season will be here for ever.
strum

Post by strum »

All I can say it here in North Georgia..its hard to find land to hunt and there is a lot of public land that is hunted to death and if You pass on a doe some one eles will shoot it..
My family and I eat the deer i shoot and as these lean time get leaner in the winter we will hope I shoot all the deer i can ..We just dont have the big trophys running around like I see in the Northern states..But all that said ..when rut kicks in I have horns on my mind!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

theoldarcher wrote:
As with most of us on this form, myself included, it pretty much goes down to putting meat in the freezer to help supplement the grocery list. None of us would pass up a 150 or 160 class buck just to take a doe for the freezer but we have to remember that some still look at it as a sport, not a need to fill the freezer. They do not want or care for the meat that much and may even give it away when they get it.

They are mentally geared up to push themselves at being the most efficient, predator in the woods. They feel the need to match wits with the most mature and canniest Buck that they can find simply because they have the need to push themselves at being the best that they can be at what ever they do. And you know what, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone should have the personal choice to being which ever hunter they choose to be. Some things can’t be changed no matter how you try and then some things can, but the sexist part of deer season will be here for ever.
That was really well said old archer. :)

I like putting a doe or two in the freezer every year but I would sure be a fibbing if I told you I had no dreams of putting a monster buck on my wall. It hasnt happened but it sure makes it more fun for me thinking that one day it just might. Until that day comes I will just tell everyone I am a meat hunter like y'all. :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hey, if specifying gender makes us sexist, does specifying breed make us racist?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Pot calling the kettle black!

It is the animals who are racist.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/ind ... -hollywood
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not getting worked up about it, just wondering why we seem to tend to think of a doe as just another deer and a buck as a real "trophy" so often.

There is one huge old doe on the farm I hunt that would make most of the bucks seem careless. I've seen her a few times, and the closest sighting was over 200 yards. She keeps all her senses tuned in and seems to be on full alert at all times. :shock:

As for mounts, the only thing I have ever had mounted was a saber-tooth groundhog, and I didn't bother to even check it's gender. :lol: :lol:
sabertooth.JPG
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

As weird as this may sound... Nice beaver u have their lmao