Accurate?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Meat Hunter

Re: Accurate?

Post by Meat Hunter »

vrodman,

I had the same exact problem with Firebolts and I am shooting 100 gr. Spitfires.

I contacted Danny Miller (740-483-2312) and he built me a set of arrows that every single one of them will impact within a 1.5” dia. circle at 40 yds.

FYI: I shoot an Excalibur Vixen and I get. 270 fps with the Excalibur FFF string and the 415.9 gr. GT Laser II arrows that Danny built for me.
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

Meat Hunter wrote:vrodman,

I had the same exact problem with Firebolts and I am shooting 100 gr. Spitfires.

I contacted Danny Miller (740-483-2312) and he built me a set of arrows that every single one of them will impact within a 1.5” dia. circle at 40 yds.

FYI: I shoot an Excalibur Vixen and I get. 270 fps with the Excalibur FFF string and the 415.9 gr. GT Laser II arrows that Danny built for me.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I come from rich history in powder and getting my groups tight and I know the Vortex will with the right arrows.
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Yup, and I was kidding. I think you got lots of good advice here for lots of options. Let us know how you end-up.
In the Wind.......
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

You are a perfect example of why we went to the 150 grain heads. As the bows increased in velocity we saw accuracy issues increase and after testing I was shocked that the groups were opening up radically after 20 yards or so. We honestly couldn't find a 100 grain broadhead with fixed blades that would beat 8" or so at 40 yards. That's when we discovered that by increasing FOC we could get 40 yard groups to shrink to 3 or 4 " with the 150 grain Boltcutters. If you insist that you want to use 100 grain heads I can only recommend that you shoot mechanicals if you want improved accuracy, but if you are willing to try the Boltcutters they will radically improve your groups. Once again I have to say, please give us a chance to help you if you have problems with our equipment before going onto our forum and trashing what we do. We are limited in some ways where products like the Firebolts are concerned since they are made by another supplier but I'll bust my butt to halp any customer if they give us a chance.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Perhaps it's the FOC
I had half dozen left over from wheel bow I once owned, did the same thing. Upped the tip to 125, Blazers (right helical) and the now group with mt GT's using Blazers or Fusion...like this: (two brands and different vanes at 50 yards, dot is 1.5") BTW, with just elbow rested on deck rail.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

When I bought my Vortex, they came with GT Laser 2's and Wasp Boss 100gr broadheads. With ZERO accuracy issues, I just wanted to "build" my own bolts. I stayed with GT Laser's, raw shafts, but went to brass inserts, 2" Blazers, 5" wraps, Slick Trick 100 gr. magnum broadheads, and a Boo String. My Lumizone is set at 300 fps. The bolts weigh 415-417 gr. With this set up, my bow is a tack driver and gives me the the necessary CONFIDENCE to make an accurate shot at 35 yards or less. I just don't take shots at deer beyond 35 yds.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

We all like to have a "unique" set-up. We all like to tinker around a bit. I do. I fletch my own arrows and have been playing with different combos of this shaft and that head all summer. But when I fill my quiver to hunt, I will be using Firebolts and Boltcutters. Why? Because they do exactly What Mr. T said they would. My hunting partner and I get sub-4" groups at 40 yds consistently. Most often, about 3" groups on the average. How could it be better than that?
In the Wind.......
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have had really good grouping with the boltcutters. They are a well designed head and when I found one after a year outside in the elements it looked like new. Yes its a 150g but you wont need another fixed head. Since I have gone to a Big John arrow with brass front inserts I have been getting good groups from the 100-125g slick tricks and grizz tricks.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

Bill T wrote:You are a perfect example of why we went to the 150 grain heads. As the bows increased in velocity we saw accuracy issues increase and after testing I was shocked that the groups were opening up radically after 20 yards or so. We honestly couldn't find a 100 grain broadhead with fixed blades that would beat 8" or so at 40 yards. That's when we discovered that by increasing FOC we could get 40 yard groups to shrink to 3 or 4 " with the 150 grain Boltcutters. If you insist that you want to use 100 grain heads I can only recommend that you shoot mechanicals if you want improved accuracy, but if you are willing to try the Boltcutters they will radically improve your groups. Once again I have to say, please give us a chance to help you if you have problems with our equipment before going onto our forum and trashing what we do. We are limited in some ways where products like the Firebolts are concerned since they are made by another supplier but I'll bust my butt to halp any customer if they give us a chance.
If this is directed at me, then I'm sorry. It was not my intentions to "trash" your product. I didn't think I did. I'm just trying to find some arrows that would all shoot the same. It's not like they are all over, I just have some that will shoot at maybe 2:00, some at 7:00 , 11:00 and so on. Arrows are numbered and I keep a little note each time where they hit.
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS