2 excal questions for U...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

phil

2 excal questions for U...

Post by phil »

I am a proud owner of a excal equinox. Heres my questions. When you shoot, do the limbs flex past the point as when its at rest?

Another question while im at it. Lately, after i shoot or manually relax my limbs, ive noticed the metal sear is down and doesnt allow my bolt to get locked in. ( as if there is a bolt in place already ) 3x already ive had to stick my truck key in there and release it?...any ideas?
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
vixenmaster

Re: 2 excal questions for U...

Post by vixenmaster »

#1 yes it will thats why brace lines & the close one to riser string will get the serving beat #2 R u talking about those trigger claws that come down when you cock the Bow ? The arrow nok goes in between them snuggly & you can feel arrow stop when it hits string. What size arrows are you shooting that you can't get nok inside trigger claws ? 22 series or 21 series arrows work
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you push back on the latch that holds the string does it give any resistance?
The limbs do flex forward a bit in certain places depending on which string is used.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
phil

Post by phil »

yes..i mean the trigger claws. After i shoot it, they went down by themselves....as if i cocked it! why did this happen you think?..and when the claws are down, you cant get the string to lock into place. That is why i had to release the claws with my truck key while squeezing the trigger.This never happened to me last yr at all...and now it happened 3x to me?
Everything else seems to be working though.....and idea???
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'll ask the same question again by way of quoting myself
Boo wrote:If you push back on the latch that holds the string does it give any resistance?
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Call Danny Miller. Sounds like the trigger is slightly bent. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago. Was caused by me removing the stock from the rail and not pulling straight down. Pulling down from the front end of the stock will put enough pressure on the trigger to bend it and keep it from recocking. Danny fixed mine and had it back in a week.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

By the sound of it you either have rust inside the trigger unit or junk ( ie needles,dirt ). I would contact Dan . But if your catch is not releasing then there has to be a reason . Specially if it worked good last year .
just my two cents worth :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Did you try some WD40? Squirt some into the trigger unit where the catch goes down and work it back and forth a few times, that should help loosen it up. Lacking that you'll have to have it opened up and cleaned out by someone who knows the ropes, like our warranty center.
phil

Post by phil »

Boo wrote:I'll ask the same question again by way of quoting myself
Boo wrote:If you push back on the latch that holds the string does it give any resistance?

Yes...some resistance when claws are down without string cocked. I just sprayed some wd 40 in there. If it happens again. Ill call and keep all of you informed!..thank you so much for your assistance!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Phil, I thought about it this morning and I think something has happened to the spring that pushes the latch open. If there are any small bits flying around you may get in a situation where you cannot cock the bow or not be able to uncock it. I think you would be wise to call Danny Miller (he's the US warranty center that Bill T mentions) at 740-483-2312 sooner than later.
phil

Post by phil »

Thank you Boo!...i really appreciate your time with this! just got off the phone with Jason from Excal. He said he has never heard of that happening!..( just my luck )...He recommends me sending it to Dan also. I will be doing this tomorrow....i should have it back within 2 weeks!..prob one week! .at least ill have it up and going for the rut!
To be positive about this, itll give me a good excuse to sharpen my skill with my Hoyt compound for awhile too!
Quick thought and question, this seemed to happen right after i used the de stringer i bought when i had to put some twists in my string. Think this is what caused it?
Boo

Post by Boo »

I doubt is but anything is possible. The way the trigger parts are laid out something would have go up over the top of the latch, then drop down and jam the spring. I still think that something happened to the latch return spring, either a broken spring or rust holding the spring back. To have the latch go into the cocked position from the impulse of shooting an arrow that spring cannot be pushing the latch open very hard.
Good luck! I'm sure Danny will good take care of you.
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks guys for your help. Well, i sent it out to Dan last week and just got it back. I called him to see what caused the metal claws ( that hold the string cocked ) to bounce back closed after shooting. Anyways, he asked if i ever took the stock off. I repleid no. He said my trigger was bent and caused the mechanisim to be out of whack!...he replaced it and now its perfect!
Anyways, im sitting here driving myself crazy wondering how this happened?...never dropped it, or smacked it against the tree. Any ideas????....he also added that he never saw that problem before?
Boo

Post by Boo »

phil wrote:Thanks guys for your help. Well, i sent it out to Dan last week and just got it back. I called him to see what caused the metal claws ( that hold the string cocked ) to bounce back closed after shooting. Anyways, he asked if i ever took the stock off. I repleid no. He said my trigger was bent and caused the mechanisim to be out of whack!...he replaced it and now its perfect!
Anyways, im sitting here driving myself crazy wondering how this happened?...never dropped it, or smacked it against the tree. Any ideas????....he also added that he never saw that problem before?
Was the trigger bent towards the rear of the trigger guard?
phil

Post by phil »

Was the trigger bent towards the rear of the trigger guard?[/quote]

...i did not ask him that question. Probabably should have. What if it was?...thanks Boo for your concern too