would you shoot one?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

would you shoot one?????

Post by wabi »

Been getting pics of a doe & twin fawns at my feeder since I put the camera up in July.
The change this month has been rapid.
Sept. 4 ------
9.4.JPG
Sept. 10 -----
9.10.JPG
Sept. 21 -----
9.21.JPG
Not much meat there, but it sure would be tender. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Would you take one??????
wabi
hotburn

Re: would you shoot one?????

Post by hotburn »

I do not pursue them, but have taken them in the past and will again in the future. Not a freezer filler but plenty more on them then a squirrel or rabbit! They are also free of any game taste, feed it to anyone and they never know.
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

To each their own..I personally won't shoot a doe with fawns..nor would I want to take a young fawn either...fortunately where I hunt the pickings are pretty good and you can afford to be a little more selective. :D
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

with 4 tags i'll get meat in the freezer at first chance be it a doe with fawns or a yearlin deer, but i'll try not to shoot button buck if i can....fawns that are with a doe that has been shot will be fine at this time of the year....how many doe's are shot when there fawns are out of sight and show up at momma after she is gone, i have had that happen a few times in the past....i'm starting to dress the doe out and here is a fawn standing there 20 yds looking at me wondering what i'm doing to momma :( ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I have a doe with two fawns showing up on my game camera and hanging around for 45 minutes every night at the edge of the corn. I will harvest 1 fawn if given the chance and leave moma as she is 3 years old and will make more fawns.
I usually harvest the first deer I see and then once I have meat in the freezer I will wait for big bucks
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Can't do it :oops: . It would have to wait another day I guess.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
gogo

Post by gogo »

There are plenty of fair size deer where I hunt, so these deer would live another day.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Call me a whuss but I couldn't release the arrow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I would prefer not to kill mom or her babies but if I was concerned that I may not fill my tags for one reason or another then I wouldn't hesitate to put 'em in the freezer.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

My plans each year are first to get a "jerky" deer be it a big 'ol doe or buck. Then, I look for something young and tender for steaks & roasts. But sometimes the order gets reversed!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'd never take a young-un these days and try to avoid taking a mom as well. Not saying I would'nt ever tho.

According to the Michigan DNR, a six-month old deer is 100% capable and fully prepared to survive on its own, even with winter coming on. Buck and Doe alike are both capable of breeding (and do in some instances) and other than the physical disadvantages of being small (i.e. high browse line & predator attacks, which they would be prone too even with Mom present) they are more than able to survive.

Typically when I select a doe for harvest, I go with a lone doe, or a 1 1/2 yr old that's still hanging with its mother, who has new fawns (the mother). This will typically be the deer thats a bit smaller than the big gal watching the kids.
In the Wind.......
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Oct 1st(opening day) they would get a free pass.
Dec 31st(closing) one is going down!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

wabi, durn it! :lol: This is another of yer bored posts :lol: Yesterday at my ground blind i had 4 deer come up with in 30 yds. I knowed i was going to get fresh backstraps right quick,Wrong! Not 1 or 2 but 3 spottys with their Mama! :( No shot was taken, i not shoot spotty's nor Mama's with spotty's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
weezy

Post by weezy »

I would'nt shoot the doe or fawns.I shot a doe that had a fawn the first year I hunted and when the doe fell the fawn just kept standing beside her.Even after I got out of my stand and got 20 yards from them the fawn just stood there next to her and it made me feel really bad,never again will i do that.
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

If it's brown it down. Talk about some tender meat. If you don't take the shot someone else will. :D It's not like its going to be wasted right. :D Just think of how many younger deer get killed on a highway daily, that are wasted.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.