August 29th, 2010
Vixen crossbow
100 Magnum Slick Trick
18 yard shot with complete pass through with 42 yard retrieval

We had another great hunt in the Uintah Mountains of Northern Utah- Utah Hunter
Boo

Re: Utah Cow Elk Harvested

Post by Boo »

Good shooting and congratulations! How about the story?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congrats! Alot of mighty fine eating there!
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wahoo congrats on the Elk & shooting a Brn vixen, special ain't it!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Nice shootin'.

And do share the story!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Good for you! About how much meat (pounds) do you get from a cow that size.

Another vote for more of the story behind the hunt.

Thanks...
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations Utah Hunter!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Congrats. On the Cow Elk, and with a Brn. Vixen and Slick tricks. The Vixen is a very underrated Xbow. It kinda looks like a Boo string on it also.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I dream of hunting Elk one day with my cross bow .
Congratulations!!!
How was it getting it out did you have to quarter it up,use horses. ATV or move camp to the Elk and live their untill the meat runs out.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

i have hunted elk for several years. shot bulls and cows. any time you get one, either sex, it a job. Nice one and i bet you worked your butt off.
Utah Hunter

Post by Utah Hunter »

In response to request for more hunt info, let me say that my two years of successfully bagging an elk have been a direct result of this forum. After tearing a bicep tendon in both the right and left arm, I qualified for a handicap crossbow hunting permit in the state of Utah. My first internet search found the Excalibur website and then the forum. Two and a half years ago, I started reading the forum posts everyday. From those readings, I found and contacted Danny Miller, who guided me in my purchase of the Vixen and related items. There is no doubt that this forum was vital in my success this past two seasons with the spike elk last year and this year's cow elk. It has been stated so many times that this forum has helpful, knowledgeable, intelligent, sharing, compassionate, fun loving, and good looking people. I found out that it is all true. Thank you all for your wisdom and information

I hunt in Northeastern Utah in the Uintah Mountains about 25 miles north of Vernal, Utah. I have lived in this area for about 20 years with my original home being in Northern Iowa. We hunt the elk almost entirely from tree stands. We hunt water holes, feeding areas, and travel trails. The elk do respond to calls but the more mature bulls do not respond much until the rut, which starts around the 15th of September and is when the general elk archery hunt ends. Limited Entry hunts start then and are the best opportunity for bigger bulls. Good areas are hard to draw but there is a point system. I have 15 points accumulated and hope to hunt one the good areas of the state wth my crossbow next year.

Last year there were 5 archers in our camp and we bagged 4 spikes and one branched antler bull. This year we had 4 archers and we bagged 2 cows, one spike, and the 4th archer held out for a branched antler bull and passed on several spikes and cows and now "will be eating her tag".She has killed more elk that any of our hunters over the years. The success rate for the general archery in Utah ranges from 10 to 15 per cent success rate so we have done really well.
When I shot my cow, I was calling to an elk that came in behind me and was leaving the area when my cow answered my call from another direction and came right into a shooting lane at 17 yards. It was a complete pass through. I cow called right after the shot which often stops them from running. I heard her go down within a minute or two.
We get 4 wheelers into most of our kill areas with some trees or deadfalls taken out with a chain saw. We get them back to camp, skin them right away, and cool the meat through the night and take it to town to the meat cooler the next morning. My spike last year was some of the best elk meat ever and we hope the same for this dry cow this year.
Yes, the Vixen is sweet and fits me and my hunts perfectly. It does not have a Boo string, just the string from that came with the Vixen.
On the amount of meat, elk weights are often exagerrated. But they are big animals. Here is some weight info that seems a little high..
ELK
Young-of-the-year:
Average weight: 298 pounds
Yearling and adult females:
Average weight: 495
Range: 438 - 556
Yearling and adult males:
Average weight: 698
Range: 469 - 950
Informative website on elk. http://ces.uwyo.edu/PUBS/B594R.pdf

Thanks again to all my helpers on this forum. Larry
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you did a good job of arrow placement, and the Vixen had enough power to do it's part, too.
wabi
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Congrats on your elk. Lots of good eating and great memories.

Long
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great story and congrats on a real nice elk.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your success!
2007 Phoenix