day one - deer one

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryM

Re: day one - deer one

Post by GaryM »

Congrats! Our season opens this coming Friday. I'll take one of those does...my game freezer is empty. I wish I could use corn like in Ohio. They want to lock us up here if we do that. :roll: Gary
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congratulations! Good story. :)
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congradulatins Wabi, nice looking deer!
Crispy
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Nice goin Mike
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
sneak

Post by sneak »

Congrats! 8) Nice doe! Enjoyed the story!
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats on the doe, great story.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's Mike ! .... Beauty whitetail !

Great story and walk up picture !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi . . .congrats! They should have known better than interrupt your morning tea. :shock: :)

How far do she travel?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Update on status of deer -
Yesterday morning my buddy who runs the processing business called me about 8:00AM, "come on over and we'll cut this critter up".

I made it quick & easy for him. All major muscles removed from the carcass and put in plastic bags whole. We had it done very quickly, and no dirty slicer or grinder for him to clean. Can't tell you the cost, I'm still getting paid back for re-plumbing his bathroom drains. :lol:

I brought the meat home and my wife & I started cutting. Did all the big chunks (except them tough old backstraps which are best ground for dog food, but I have a plan to salvage them this time) by cutting it into chunks about an inch square with no silverskin or fat on them. They were then packed into pint jars with a sprinkle of sea salt on top and processed @10# pressure for 75 minutes.
The leftover meat with some fat & silverskin was saved to trim further and process into stew which I will attempt to can any excess.

Those tough old backstraps were cut into 6" long pieces and sliced about 1/4" thick, then went into a ceramic bowl with Morton "TenderQuick" cure dissolved in water until this morning. This morning I took them out, rinsed them lightly, and arranged the slices on the racks of my "Little Chief" smoker. They are going to get smoked with a couple loads of hickory wood chips and dried for about 12 hours today. By bedtime I should know if this attempt to make that meat edible worked or not - will report back when it is done. (If I'm not too stuffed to get my belly under the computer desk! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:wabi . . .congrats! They should have known better than interrupt your morning tea. :shock: :)

How far do she travel?

She went about 30-35 yards, I didn't have my rangefinder and couldn't walk the route she took (too many wild rose thorns for me to wade through :shock: ).
wabi
vinemack

Post by vinemack »

congrats on a doe