A 6 year olds first buck fever encounter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

A 6 year olds first buck fever encounter

Post by crazyfarmer »

Today was youth day here in Va. My 6 year old son has been shooting his 410 daily. Bagged his first dove a few weeks ago so not it was his turn at a deer. We passed on the morning hunt since its hard to drag him out of bed at 5am when he's only 6. So around 9am I went out and setup the ground blind ona field edge I had seen 2 bucks in the day before. Both were good bucks, but I didnt expect to see them again. Anything brown with 4 legs was getting shot by him. I debated the blind setup for 20mins and found a good spot. Brushed it in and headed back home. Then it was a hourly "Can we go hunting yet dad" game till 5pm. Finally it was 5pm so we gathered our gear and headed out. We were in the blind by 5:40 which game us a good hour and about 30mins to hunting. He had his PSP in hand to pass time in the blind. The 92 degree temps didnt help the wait much either. Well finally around 6:30 I caught movement. I wasnt just movement to my right but it was antlers and alot of them! Out walks a good 18inch wide 8pt followed by a 6pt which was much wider. I would guess 20inches. At this point anyone would do for him since I was fine with a spike. Both 2.5 year old bucks, but good ones espically for a 6 year old. Im not sure at this point whom was more excited. I could feel my heart beating. I got him to sit in my lap and we got the 410 slug gun into the shooting stick rest. I was a good setup, but not rock solid since my son had a case of the giggles. His first day hunting a deer and 2 very nice bucks in front of him. They were 20 yards but by the time we had the gun ready they had moved out to 35-40 yards. The gun could make the shot, but after 25 yards the groupings werent great. Not to mention a shaky laughing kid trying to steady it. I told him to squeeze the trigger and he did just that. Booommmmmm... the buck bolted and turned not knowing what had happened. I didnt see any sign of a hit. I wanted that deer to drop so badly but he kept going. We went out and looked for sign, but nothing. At this point I'm thinking he's going to start crying and get upset. First thing he says.... "Thats ok daddy, lets get back and get another one". That made my day. A memory etched in time forever. We got back into the blind but nothing else came out. He wanted to go tomorrow and all next week now. Im taking it harder than him since it wasnt just a deer in front of him at 6 years old, but one heck of a buck. 2 of them actaully LOL. Im so proud of him for taking the shot and keeping his cool. He's addicted for life now. No buck, no photos, backstraps, and nothing to show for this day. Just memories that will last forever which cant be beat :D

hope that deer knows how lucky he was... A 6 year old little boy almost had him on his wall 8)
Big Pard

Re: A 6 year olds first buck fever encounter

Post by Big Pard »

Now you have a hunting partner for life!
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

Sounds like a really good kid, Good luck to both of you this season and all that follow! :D
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

What a great account of your hunt with your son.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Even though the shot missed it still sounds like a very successful hunt!! :)

I hope you two will enjoy many more hunts together.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I didn't think about it but I hear 50grains in a muzzleloader is ideal for kids also. Effective out to 100 yards but I'm just interested in the 30-50 range. Only thing is, I would have to customize the stock on one since his reach is so short. Even with the 410 and a youth stock its about 2inches to long. Its just hard trying to find something with killing power for 6-8 year olds. 223 rifle would be ideal, but you can't use them here.

No doubt he's hooked for life! I'm trying to explain to him how youth day works. He wants to gun hunt now but that was only for oneday. He has to wait over an month before he can fire again.

Bright side... No 450 dollar mount from today! Hahahaha....all he is talking about is hunting. Had to play deer in the house when we got home. I have a hunting machine in the works I think.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Maybe keep a hunting diary like my wife does. That makes daddy memories unforgetable.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Awesome story Crazy!! Sounds like the fever, gave him the itch!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

Post by Rich »

It was a hot one for sure yesterday CF. Great hunt with the young one, I get more joy out of taking youths out and seeing their excitement than shooting something myself. I'm sure there are going to be many more big buck opportunities in his hunting future. :D

Rich