Black Bear hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pbearmawno

Black Bear hunting

Post by pbearmawno »

I've seen a large black bear on three different occasions who has been hanging around the public landing by the lake where my cottage is. I'm not sure if I will be able to take him with a crossbow because he always sees me coming. I'm estimating his weight between 300-400 lbs...another camper has been watching him as well and estimates him at 375. I don't know bears very well but am wondering how often the weights of these bears are overestimated. This is a mature black bear, he does not have the long legs of a young bear and his body is massive. Any thoughts? If I can sneak away next weekend, I might try to set up a trail camera with some food, but I forgot the batteries in town. Hopefully I can send some pictures in (Before and After).
sneak

Re: Black Bear hunting

Post by sneak »

Good luck! I hope you get him!
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Can't help you with the size but good luck whackin' the big fella. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have hunted bears for quite a while now . Have seen a lot of evaporation once the animal was down. Hunting around a drum always helps determine size. A 375 -400 # bear is very respectable.
If you could set up a bait and drum it would help hold him and determine size. Dog food/ kibble and some fryer oil would work for bait.

Small bear
- long skinny legs
- Head - long snout w/ big ears
- lots of room under the belly
- height of 45gal drum on it side = 175 - 200 # bear
Good bear
- Legs look small compared to the body
- Head blocky w /snout that looks short w/ ears that look small
- Belly close to the ground
pbearmawno

Post by pbearmawno »

I'm not sure when bears stop hitting bait barrels, but it's definitely a good idea. Even if he is a smaller bear than what we originally estimated, it's still one that needs to go. It's been seen consistently about 75 yards from a road that goes to a public landing where people tent. My friend had his 2 year old daughter there one night..no bear.. but still, it gets you thinking. Hopefully I can take it in two weeks when we have the rifle moose opener (bear hunt the Friday night and moose hunt Saturday until Monday), that's our Thanksgiving weekend.

If I wanted to get the hide made into a rug, does anyone have any suggestions on which route to go. I've been told the full bear rug can be $600-$800 and that was based on prices ten years ago. My wife won't go for that in the cottage, but people from the lake are lining up for that hide.

Thanks for the responses
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

The recent Ontario Out of Doors Hunting Annual magazine has an article in it on how to make your own bear rug.
It's a lot of work but the cost is probably significantly less than having it done somewhere.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

If you don't want to get the whole bait barrel thing going ..I have friends who use a honey burn to bring in bears with decent success..fill a dog food can half full of honey and put it on a small single burner stove and let it roll away..I use a propane torch and heat it up while in my stand , then lower it to the ground with my bow line good luck partner
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
pbearmawno

Post by pbearmawno »

I might try that honey trick. I tried a bear bomb that contains anise and I'm not sure if it was that or the scent of the apples that brought him in the first night.