Deer ate green tomato!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

Deer ate green tomato!

Post by Sopchoppy »

I had 2 tomato plants in a little garden spot 20' from my back door. Each plant had one very green tomato about the size of a tennis ball. Looked out the back door yesterday afternoon and could see both were gone. Went to see if I could determine what happened to 'em. One was gone, one was 90% eaten and then I saw the tracks. Small deer tracks stepping in and out of the garden spot. I didn't know deer would eat tomatoes, especially with the ground covered with acorns another 20' beyond the garden spot.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
wabi

Re: Deer ate green tomato!

Post by wabi »

Maybe tomato juice takes away the bitter taste of acorns? :lol: :lol:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

One reason there is a 7' fence around my entire garden. They also love beans, beets, carrots, lettuce, spinach, broccoli and no doubt a lot of other plants. Their multifaceted diet is one reason they are so numerous.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
strum

Post by strum »

Sopchoppy wrote:I had 2 tomato plants in a little garden spot 20' from my back door. Each plant had one very green tomato about the size of a tennis ball. Looked out the back door yesterday afternoon and could see both were gone. Went to see if I could determine what happened to 'em. One was gone, one was 90% eaten and then I saw the tracks. Small deer tracks stepping in and out of the garden spot. I didn't know deer would eat tomatoes, especially with the ground covered with acorns another 20' beyond the garden spot.
mabe we need to help out..we wont kill em we'll just harvest em..it is a garden
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

They love most types of flowers too. I think its the crysananum(sp) that they hate. Plant those in your garden along with the tomatoes and you have a better chance of keeping you tomatoes!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

strum wrote:
Sopchoppy wrote:I had 2 tomato plants in a little garden spot 20' from my back door. Each plant had one very green tomato about the size of a tennis ball. Looked out the back door yesterday afternoon and could see both were gone. Went to see if I could determine what happened to 'em. One was gone, one was 90% eaten and then I saw the tracks. Small deer tracks stepping in and out of the garden spot. I didn't know deer would eat tomatoes, especially with the ground covered with acorns another 20' beyond the garden spot.
maybe we need to help out..we wont kill em we'll just harvest em..it is a garden
Put's new meaning to 'Fried Green Tomatoes" lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

The mules ate the tops off DW's pepper plants, ate beans, lettuce.

Last spring I was listing to CBC Radio, some researcher found deer eating eggs of ground nesting birds. They were looking at nest predation and were very suprised to see deer being a bird predator.
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

year before last had about a dozen in my garden and went out one morning and everyone of them were gone except for one about the size of a grape. doe and fawn tracks right down between the two rows, first i ever heard of them eating tomatoes