Cover/conceal spray experiment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Cover/conceal spray experiment

Post by Pydpiper »

OK, not so much an experiment, more like having it forced on me..
Went and did some coyote hunting/shooting this afternoon to take advantage of an opportunity, carried three of them back to my truck slung over my shoulder as they bled and shed all over me and my hunting clothes. My dog absolutely lost it when I walked by her, so I figured it was time to wash them (the clothes) one more time before our opener on Friday.
Done, but the rain kept me from hanging them outside, so I laid them over my boat in the carport.
My dog just triggered a skunk in there, my damp cloths now have a hint of skunk, not cool. So I am being optimistic, I may try to use this to my advantage, not that I have a choice though.
My first train of thought is that skunk spray is a defensive spray and my plan may backfire, but I know there is a very big difference between a direct hit and the hint of skunk left over, and it was no direct hit, believe me, I know. I have also been in the presence of deer while the smell of skunk filled the air, didn't seem to matter much to them.
If this works, and I see no reason why it wont, I am going to start selling the product, I just need to find someone to hold the bottle.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
RAMAMOE

Re: Cover/conceal spray experiment

Post by RAMAMOE »

can't wait to hear how it goes on friday.........STINKY :lol: :lol: :lol:
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"
Normous

Post by Normous »

Rich would probably try it in the car :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
lscha

Post by lscha »

Ah...the good ole days. I used to use skunk scent when I hunted. Remember the pack that you had to mix 2 liquids together to get the smell? Well, I would drip them on a cotton ball and carry it around in a film container. I would take the cap off when I got to my stand. Did it work? I don't know but I always saw deer.

The problem was, I had a really nice Buick (limited edition: Sand and Blue) that smelled like skunk when I opened the trunk. I'd get some funny looks but it just didn't bother me much because it reminded me of hunting.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

That is funny Laura :lol: I never would picture you smelling skunkey but for some strange reason I find it endearing.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

You gotta love a gal who thinks like that!
In the Wind.......
strider23

Post by strider23 »

I remember hunting shops selling that smell as scent cover along with just about every type of animal you could think of. Then it seemed liked one day no one sold it anymore. I used to have a bottle of skunk scent. My hunting buddies and I used it more for practical jokes than hunting. :lol:

Ischa, you might be able to market that to insurance companies as an anti-theft device. :shock:
lscha

Post by lscha »

It also comes in a bomb. :lol:
http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/produc ... .uts.shtml
99 Uses ? for Dead a Skunk by Keith Winkler (book)<br /><br />99 Uses ? for Dead a Skunk by Keith Winkler. This new, 32-page book covers catching, dispatching, skunk removal, selling and how to tincture skunk essence. Over 45 pictures and illustrations. Paperback.<br />Price: $6.00
99 Uses ? for Dead a Skunk by Keith Winkler (book)

99 Uses ? for Dead a Skunk by Keith Winkler. This new, 32-page book covers catching, dispatching, skunk removal, selling and how to tincture skunk essence. Over 45 pictures and illustrations. Paperback.
Price: $6.00
skunk.jpg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Skunk odor works extremely well as a cover scent. It also is one of the best trapping lures for predatory critters. The product name is 'Gusto". The store that sells it keeps in in a seperate small building outside of the store. It copmes in a glassbottle, sealed in a plastic bag. Once opened, I stored in in three ziplockbags, one into the oether , then in a Mason jar will lid tight.
I use it around my hunting stand and in 15+ yrs I have never been winded by a critter, be it deer, bear , coyote, wolf, etc.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Aside from the scent senerio .... Congrat's on your triple !

Did you get any pic's with your new camera ? ( Might have been too wet yesterday for that ? )
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

R.J. wrote:Aside from the scent senerio .... Congrat's on your triple !

Did you get any pic's with your new camera ? ( Might have been too wet yesterday for that ? )
Too rushed yesterday to do the ambush, forgot my camera (and calls, binoculars..) I did fire off a few pictures with my Blackberry, but only one coyote was photogenic due to a poor shot angle on one coyote, and a poor shot placement on a runner.
The .204 isn't a very forgiving caliber when it decides to exit.

On a better note, my carport smells normal again, dog slept in the shop though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am looking forward to trying it, I just need a better way of handling the stuff. :D
DaGriz wrote:Skunk odor works extremely well as a cover scent. It also is one of the best trapping lures for predatory critters. The product name is 'Gusto". The store that sells it keeps in in a seperate small building outside of the store. It copmes in a glassbottle, sealed in a plastic bag. Once opened, I stored in in three ziplockbags, one into the oether , then in a Mason jar will lid tight.
I use it around my hunting stand and in 15+ yrs I have never been winded by a critter, be it deer, bear , coyote, wolf, etc.
WMU 91
Boo string