Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Post by bob1961 »

just glad your not hurt, my undies would need tossed if that happened to me :lol: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
lupien

Post by lupien »

Thanks,

Well I just got an update. I texted my buddy letting him know that odds are the string broke I guess making it act just like a dry fire and broke my limb and that nobody here had ever heard of a limb breaking for no reason. Tried to help is paranoia.

Well he just texted me back and said he found my string while checking out moose tracks around the tower this morning maybe 10 yards away. He said its wasn't because the string snapped because its still in 1 piece.... He also mentioned that the loops are still intact. The only thing the string had was the serving is a little chewed up...which makes sense if it took off behind the claws at such high speeds.

So im still back at square 1 not knowing what caused this. I will take a closer look at the crossbow at home tonight to see if there is any damage around the claw assuming the loop got pulled right thru there.

No luck finding the broken piece of limb yet though.. I doubt he will find a small camo piece in the middle of the bush
lupien

Post by lupien »

My buddy should be dropping by my place in a couple of days so I asked him to bring the string over. I will look at it closer and let you know. I`ll wait till a get it back before contacting Excalibur so they have more to look at to try and understand this.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

How many inches of the limb are gone?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
lupien

Post by lupien »

sumner4991 wrote:How many inches of the limb are gone?
I`ll measure tonight to confirm but I`m guessing around 3"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I would give excal a call asap, they will let you know what they will need to see and the sooner you get their opinion the better.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

one shot scott wrote:I would give excal a call asap, they will let you know what they will need to see and the sooner you get their opinion the better.
Good advice. I'm not even gonna try and speculate what happened and why but I would contact Excalibur right away about the situation and get the ball rolling.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

wow that is very unusual that the limb just snapped, must have been an internal crack unseen on the outside inspection process with no way to see internally....very outside the normal defect i would say, look close at the limb and try to see if you can detect any possible fatigue the limb might have had..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You would think that on a limb failure that is so complete that there would have at least been a change in the POI the last time the bow was shot. Pretty bizarre to say the least. Sorry to hear about your troubles!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

They will take care of the problem, be thankful you didn't get injured. :)
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
lupien

Post by lupien »

Here is a couple of pics I took while in the hunting camp.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Ouch!
Looks like what I would expect to see if the limb smacked a tree while being shot..
Glad your OK.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Hey there lupien,

Really tough story... Sorry to hear about what happened to you but glad you're okay, things could have been much worse. I noticed in your picture that you still have your dissipator bar pads on; you should take them off before they get crushed and you have an additional cost to getting your bow up and shooting properly again.

Regards,
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Lupien
That just blows!!

From my experiance of composite plastics. ( not cross bows) The fracture looks like a the outside of the limb may have been scored or slammed in a car door ,(which i doubt). If it was scored for some reason it could set up a place for stress fracture to grow, with repeated firings. As mentioned the POI may have been off last few shots.

The short lenght of the filaments coming out one long on the bottom. Does not seem a problem with the manufacuting. caviet I don't know the lenght of fiber used in manufacturing process.

Maybe they will couriour a bow to you. Sorry to hear about your hunt gone bad.
2 Flat tries in the middle of nowere was my best and I wasn't driving.

The rubber band over Safety. Thanks for the tip.
FWIW I took a tumble at work and have one shin that looks like a beef steak. Should have went hunting!!!!
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
lupien

Post by lupien »

kurisu wrote:Hey there lupien,

Really tough story... Sorry to hear about what happened to you but glad you're okay, things could have been much worse. I noticed in your picture that you still have your dissipator bar pads on; you should take them off before they get crushed and you have an additional cost to getting your bow up and shooting properly again.

Regards,
Ah thats right. Thanks for the heads up!! I always removed them when I unstring it but didn't think about that after it broke.