Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lupien

Re: Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Post by lupien »

M&M wrote:have you gotten ahold of excalibur yet? and what did they tell ya?

Not yet cause im at work but i`ll try to get a hold of them during my lunch break or something. I`ll keep you all posted.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have no doubt they will take care of you just interested in what they think caused the limb to break
M&M
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its odd, the claw is down, but the string flung off the bow. Its strange that the end of the string would pull through the closed claw, not impossible , but strange. What are the scratches on the bow by the claw caused from? I bet if you had contacted excalibur you would have had a set of new limbs by now! They are very reasonable folks, and rest assured that limb failure is NOT common with the excaliburs. This is the first Ive heard of.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
lupien

Post by lupien »

one shot scott wrote:Its odd, the claw is down, but the string flung off the bow. Its strange that the end of the string would pull through the closed claw, not impossible , but strange. What are the scratches on the bow by the claw caused from? I bet if you had contacted excalibur you would have had a set of new limbs by now! They are very reasonable folks, and rest assured that limb failure is NOT common with the excaliburs. This is the first Ive heard of.
I`m not sure about the scratches. i look at it closer tonight. I think it looks worst because of the flash. The crossbow looks in rough shape in the pictures but it not dings and scratched its mostly dirt, mud and branch sracthes (which come off when you rub it..sappy stuff I guess)
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Have to ask, is it possible you (or someone) accidently scored the limb at the point of the break sometime earlier, possibly days, even weeks before? Something that stands out in your mind that could have been the root cause of this?

Anyways, Excal won't care either way, they'll just fix you up and be done with it. Sorry your hunt was ruined.
In the Wind.......
lupien

Post by lupien »

See4miles wrote:Have to ask, is it possible you (or someone) accidently scored the limb at the point of the break sometime earlier, possibly days, even weeks before? Something that stands out in your mind that could have been the root cause of this?

Anyways, Excal won't care either way, they'll just fix you up and be done with it. Sorry your hunt was ruined.

That is definitely possible but I really can't think of any incident that happened. I almost wish I could cause it would help me understand what happened.
lupien

Post by lupien »

I just got a reply from Excalibur and they will replace my limbs. They mentioned that for the break to be against the grain of the fiberglass like that it could only happen from some sort of trauma or fatigue caused by excessive heat. I`m not sure what temperature is considered excessive heat but maybe it was to close to the wood stove at the hunting camp or something (4-5 feet away)

Its great news though that they will be replacing them :D I assume new limbs would have cost me quite a bit of cash.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

lupien wrote: . . .close to the wood stove at the hunting camp or something (4-5 feet away)
That would probably do it. I keep my bow in a cool place. When I'm on a hunting trip(Oct, Nov), I leave it in the car. This does two things . . .keeps it away from the stove and keeps my scope from fogging due to a sudden change in temps(indoor to outside).

Glad you are getting it all fixed up! :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Email has been sent. This limb had to be exposed to extreme heat for it to break like that or it suffered some trauma. Typical cracks from a dry-fire will go length-wise on the limb with the grain of the glass fibers. Failures across the grain of the fiberglass is extremely rare to non-exisitant.

As always we will look after our customers. I would like to remind people that if you ever have a problem with one of our products please call us first instead of posting your problem here. We work very hard at making our customers happy, long drawn out threads about something we can fix quickly on the phone just slows down the process.

Thanks,

Peter
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I`m not sure what temperature is considered excessive heat but maybe it was to close to the wood stove at the hunting camp or something (4-5 feet away)
That could do it....I'm sure it was heat exposure.

Peter
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

This was an interesting thread.

It says something good about the manufacturer when the product gets replaced before the defective item is even examined by the manufacturer. I don't expect this will create a tsunami of illegitimate claims, but that could become a future concern.

I also give credit to lupien for admitting he may have caused the problem. Some guys wouldn't have what it takes to admit in public that they made a mistake. It would be so much easier on the ego to blame the manufacturer for a defective product.

By the way, storing the bow in a vehicle may not be the wisest, either. Temperatures inside a closed cab on a sunny day can get very hot, maybe even as hot as near a wood stove.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Hi5 wrote:
By the way, storing the bow in a vehicle may not be the wisest, either. Temperatures inside a closed cab on a sunny day can get very hot, maybe even as hot as near a wood stove.
Not in Oct or Nov . . .OK, I guess I should have put in a disclosure . . .I leave it in the car overnight(while I do not have it in my hands, hunting) in the Oct & Nov cool to freezing temps . . .I know, there is always somebody . . .that's why there's warning labels for things that should never have a warning label . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

sumner4991

You are right, of course, about autumn weather. I was referring to summer time and the risk of overheating in an automobile cab then.....
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Heat exposure is a horrible thing . I left my bow in a locked pick-up truck once in the summer . One limb definitely sacrificed itself for its partner . :shock:
I told the truth to Bill and he cut me a deal on a new set of limbs . That is the day I gained alot of respect for Excalibur . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Excal is doing what we all knew they would do. This is why we all shoot them. Done here................
In the Wind.......