A little tribute to my hunting widow..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

A little tribute to my hunting widow..

Post by Pydpiper »

My wife has always supported my hobbies, as most wives would, but I sure don't understand what goes through this woman's head when hunting season comes around..
She works hard during the day, looking after our three kids, a volunteer at the school, girl guide leader and now she is forming her own kids group to offer our small community another way to get involved. I know I couldn't do half of what she does in an average day.
Then there is hunting season..
My alarm goes off silently at 5 am, a vibrating alarm that is only used after October 1st. I think I am being stealthy without waking anyone else, but it never works like that. Each morning when I get out of the shower I can count on a cup of coffee and a note by my hunting clothes, yet when I go room to room to kiss sleeping faces before I walk out the door I would swear nobody has moved a muscle. In two hours the house will come alive with kids and I will not be there to help. Most days I am home on time to help the kids on to the bus before I shower and head to work, but not every day.
Then comes the evening stand. Jenn takes the time to prepare me a separate meal an hour before the rest of the families, how she does that with a house full of kids I will never understand. She maintains our lawn, a good 2-3 hours on the rider, keeps the fridge full and the clothes clean. Looking back I don't think I have cooked 3 meals in our 13 years of marriage, probably for the best though.
In the last two days she has completely gutted two rooms in the house, right down to the studs, while I sat in my tree, she emptied the garden and canned what was left in some of her free time.
Last night is when it hit me. I sent a message to her phone to get my deer cart to me, it wasn't 20 minutes later she came busting through the corn with my deer cart and three kids in tow. She dropped what she was doing, scooped up the kids and came to my rescue. She bloodied her coat loading my deer and went hands on throughout the field dressing process. Soon she will roll up her sleeves and butcher this fellow, pack it and put it away for another day.
My little wife has the heart of a trooper, and I wanted to say that I feel like the luckiest guy in the world, a bit of a let down for three months, but lucky all the same.
As I type this she is in the spam sharpening my hunting knives as she makes breakfast before I head to work.
I am going to take the kids out this weekend and let her have a day or two to hunt, she could use the time away.

Just needed to get that off my chest, now I am off to work wondering what in the heck that woman sees in me, I truly don't understand.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Re: A little tribute to my hunting widow..

Post by agingcrossbower »

Yes, you are a lucky man. I see flowers in her future if you know what I mean. :wink:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

What broadhead did you use and how far did it go after impact? :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. You are a lucky man. Right now at my house the roles are reversed. My wife is working her tail off and I'm here at the house doing everything else. It's a load of work that goes mainly unnoticed.

I'm glad to see you are not taking it for granted.

Jenn is lucky too.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

David does she have a single sister? :wink: You are a lucky guy and you know it!! CONGRATS!!
The best things in life are not things!!
gogo

Post by gogo »

Pyd I must be married to your wifes twin sister, I know exactly where your coming from. We are very lucky and blessed to have wives like this in our lives they must be part saint. One piece of advice if I may show your wife your post, then watch the big smile on her face.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Hunting widows, thats a good term for it and it describes my wife too. I suspect your wife is alot like mine in noticing how much joy comes from being able to go out and hunt and they are willing to extra because they see the smile at the end of a successful hunt! Youve got a good one, treat her well!!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

MADMAX2 wrote:David does she have a single sister?
was thinking the same thing dave :lol: ....you have a great wife your own queen of the jungle i might say too....my g/f don't mind my hunting and hopes i get the freezer full of venison.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Very nice!
I raise my glass and toast all the wonderful and patient hunter's wives out there.
CHEERS!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

This thread scares me. Listing all the good things like that has me quivering with fear. If your wife ever reads this, you just might shock her. Maybe she's not conscious of just how darned good she is to you? This could be dangerous. :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I hope Patti and Jen can go hunting this year again. We would be tickled to see them harvest one. These girls don't mind getting venison blood on their hands and I love them for that, always will.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Amen! My wife wont help gut a deer but spends a lot of time helping to process and package the meat. All while puting up with early alarms,kids,dogs,groceries,cooking,cleaning,working.... I really dont know how "or why" she does it, but I'm very greatful!
Crispy
maple

Post by maple »

I sure hope you know how lucky you are David. One can only imagine that happening with most folk. There's but one reason she's doing that for you, and that's LOVE.

If I were you, I'd be thinkin hard about how to show her you appreciate it. How does she like her bow? Oh ya, that was last year.
What about this year? Time to herself sounds like a good start. Got a shopping destination in mind? Women like to shop. How 'bout Bass Pro?

Maple
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

That reminds me, I need to resharpen my hunting knife. :lol:

You are a lucky man. Many of us are, just to differing degrees I guess.

Ok, time to sharpen up.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
lscha

Post by lscha »

Nothing lightens loads as effectively as appreciation. You're a good man, Pyd! :wink:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Good Man.

You wrote about your wife very well. I to have a beautiful, understanding and patient wife. Just past 29 year anniversary.

Our girls are 18 and 19, so we can now spent time together.

Colleen to did the Brownies, Sparks, Cubs, and Cadet positions. I took the kids camping, helped at camps, volunteered a week when I was a RN for a Scout Jamboree, Taught leather work and compass reading. (my way of grabbing some time with her)

She grows a garden every year, She works full time, commutes. She takes all the education her employer throws at her and does very well. Cooks great meals and likes making deer sausage. She shot an Antelope a few years back, and likes shooting the Axiom. She also loves to fish so do the kids.

To this day I don't know why I went to meet her the first time? We had talked before on a radio. Fate? We went out once and that was it, Gob Smacked!!!

Salute to all the real women out there!! Just like my Mom!!! and Her Mom!!
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!