Thumbhole vs Traditional Stock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Thumbhole vs Traditional Stock

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Are there any advantages/disadvantages over one stock design or the other?

Now that I'm thinking about getting a "back up" Excalibur, in case something happened to my Axiom, (at least this is the excuse I'm telling my Wife :twisted: ), I was just wondering if it's a personal choice or if there is a difference. I've held both and I can not see an advantage of a thumbhole over a traditional stock. I was told by a Factory rep that it's easier and quicker to access the safety with a traditional stock.

Your thoughts?

I'm thinking I would like an Exocet, but there are a lot of you people who like the Vixen. I also think my Wife and Daughter would get a kick out of shooting a Vixen. Decisions, decisions!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Boo

Re: Thumbhole vs Traditional Stock

Post by Boo »

OkXbowHunter wrote:Are there any advantages/disadvantages over one stock design or the other?

Now that I'm thinking about getting a "back up" Excalibur, in case something happened to my Axiom, (at least this is the excuse I'm telling my Wife :twisted: ), I was just wondering if it's a personal choice or if there is a difference. I've held both and I can not see an advantage of a thumbhole over a traditional stock. I was told by a Factory rep that it's easier and quicker to access the safety with a traditional stock.

Your thoughts?

I'm thinking I would like an Exocet, but there are a lot of you people who like the Vixen. I also think my Wife and Daughter would get a kick out of shooting a Vixen. Decisions, decisions!
Get all three! :mrgreen: Can you have too many?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have owned both types of stocks and prefer the thumbhole stock because I find it to be more comfortable.
As far as any performance advantages from one to the next I don't believe there to be any.
I have heard of people having trouble reaching the safety with the thumbhole stock but I have not found that to be an issue.

I think generally speaking it will come down to ones own preference and comfort when shooting the bow.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Or you could just take Boo's advice!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ok, to be serious, I like the thumb hole stock because I find stalking much easier with it. Mainly because of the grip configuration.
frisky

Post by frisky »

The first year I had my bow I used the factory stock. The last three I have used my own custom thumb hole stock. :D :D I think that tells all! :lol:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I have owned a couple of muzzleloaders with thumbhole stocks, and I prefer a traditional stock. :?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I was not sure I was going to like the thumbhole. When Patti's Vortex arrived I found a preference and my Max went up for sale towards my new Equinox. Also, it is easy to fasten my pull up rope through the thumbhole for security.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Don't hold me to this, as I could be totally off base here but if my memory serves me, I was told somewhere along the line that the thumb-hole stock required a different trigger design than the traditional style and that was part of the reason that thumbholes had a "creepier", not as smooth, or "longer" trigger pull than traditionals? Can anyone confirm this, or am I imagining being told this? I want to say it was by an Excal rep. in the booth at the Harrisburg Sportshow this past Feb.
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
Boo

Post by Boo »

OMC-MOOSE wrote:Don't hold me to this, as I could be totally off base here but if my memory serves me, I was told somewhere along the line that the thumb-hole stock required a different trigger design than the traditional style and that was part of the reason that thumbholes had a "creepier", not as smooth, or "longer" trigger pull than traditionals? Can anyone confirm this, or am I imagining being told this? I want to say it was by an Excal rep. in the booth at the Harrisburg Sportshow this past Feb.
The triggers units are identical but the angle and position of the triggers differ. Bottom line is that the trigger (and not the trigger unit itself) is the only thing that differs. The feel of the thumbhole stock can be less desirable to some.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

It is a matter of personal preference. It depends on which one feels better to YOU. I have the vortex and love the thumb hole stock. It just feels better to ME.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

In my case, I shot a Phoenix and an Ibex and bought the Ibex because I like the thumbhole.
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just my personal preference, but I'll stick to a traditional stock on any crossbow or gun that doesn't have a safety located on the trigger guard.
I tried a thumbhole stocked Excalibur and found the motion to release the safety was too complicated for my tastes. (But then I learned to shoot with an Excalibur with a traditional stock, so that just "feels" more "natural" to me. :lol: )
wabi
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Thumbhole vortex- wouldnt have it any other way.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
secret

Post by secret »

Function over form.. My vote is Traditional stock for safety.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string