Taking does

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Re: Taking does

Post by crazyfarmer »

I'd like to know whom the "he" is also since this seems to be directed at one person? I was hoping this stuff would die out during hunting season but it seems not. Members can't come on here and post in a friendly environment anymore and that's just plain not right:(

I won't get replied to anyway but that's just my 2 cents lol

This is supposed to be a place where everyone is welcome regardless of hunting style or location.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I'll reply. :D
"He" is just speculation on my part, seems this thread is reflecting on an old topic where a well respected and contributing member was insulted in the absolute worst possible way a human being could be insulted by the originator of this thread, the bigger man simply walked away.
On his brief return this crap starts, whether or not is is aimed at him I sure don't know, but it looks like it to me, and it doesn't take an imagination to see the title was a set up for this mysterious fellow that has no regard for animals, just horns.
Irregardless, there is no place here for determining who should be doing what, and why. It is not our place to tell others how to enjoy themselves or to question their morals. This thread (appeared to) start innocent, but after a few posts the OP revealed it was about an individual, not "does" in general. It was deceptive.
And as far as hunting season goes, I am tagged out. :D

crazyfarmer wrote:I'd like to know whom the "he" is also since this seems to be directed at one person? I was hoping this stuff would die out during hunting season but it seems not. Members can't come on here and post in a friendly environment anymore and that's just plain not right:(

I won't get replied to anyway but that's just my 2 cents lol

This is supposed to be a place where everyone is welcome regardless of hunting style or location.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

People hunt for different reasons. Some do it strictly for the meat, others do it strictly for the antlers, while still others do it for both.

To me personally, hunting is more than just taking an animal, it's about the total experience. The size of animal, the size of the antlers, or lack therefore is of little importance. The way I see it, a deer is a deer no matter the sex. The young ones are more tender, while the older ones have more meat. The criteria I use to determine which animal I'll harvest is based on what's best for the propagation of the herd.

Having said that, since my motto is live and let live, I wouldn't chastise an individual for hunting strictly for antlers. However, I would frown upon anyone who once harvesting the animal, would show neither respect nor regard for the meat. Unfortunately there are such individuals, and as far as I'm concerned, they are sorry individuals.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

WoW! What timing! Same old trolling that's been going on for monthes. Give it a break.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I like to hunt !!!!!
Be it does , bucks , toms , drakes or ganders .
I wish I hunted some of the spots some of you`s do for the good bucks . I respect those who have the patience or know-how to get those bucks .
If he walks by I will shoot . If she walks by I will shoot . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I think we can get all bent out of shape all on a count of not understanding what someone is actually saying. Then come the misunderstandings etc etc.

I don't care what anyone shoots. Personally there are some deer I would not shoot, but I don't care if any of you do. If it is legal and ethical then its wide open.

Given my druthers if I saw a big buck I'd shoot it no deliberation needed. If I saw a legal buck I'd deliberate a bit and then make my choice. If I saw a doe it would depend on how much time/days I had left to hunt and how the season went to that point. I don't need to have venison to live but I like the whole thing of taking, butchering and cooking my own game.....that is the way it is.

Some people are arrogant and some people are defensive about what they shoot, be it type of bow or type of animal they think is "up to their standards". I don't care.....just don't take yourself too seriously or try to stick it in someone elses face.

Long
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I hoped that this childlike behavour was finished but I guess not :oops: . That's ok though because the better man will prevail.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

Personally, I deer hunt! Buck or doe, 2nd year or old man antler I care not. If I get a doe, I'll be just as excited as if it were a B&C world record holder. This was my first year hunting turkey and I honestly didn't know much about them. When I checked in my bird in May and all the guys at the check station said "where did you find that monster" I figured I did pretty good. I take the advice the ODNR gives me and hunt what I can.
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
ch312

Post by ch312 »

raydaughety wrote:I hoped that this childlike behavour was finished but I guess not :oops: . That's ok though because the better man will prevail.
this thread was definitely started to stir the pot.

but, sometimes its nice to just sit back and let immature trolls make fools of themselves without any help from others. :wink:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ch312 wrote:
raydaughety wrote:I hoped that this childlike behavour was finished but I guess not :oops: . That's ok though because the better man will prevail.
this thread was definitely started to stir the pot.

but, sometimes its nice to just sit back and let immature trolls make fools of themselves without any help from others. :wink:
LMAO :lol: :lol:
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

Our church holds two bar-b-ques a year, and the proceeds go to the local processor. We put up enough cash to pay for 100 deer to go to the Hunters for the Hungry.

Our farmers want us to take as many deer off the land as possible, as crop deprivation is a major issue here, we have too many deer.

I love to hunt, and have access to a lot of land, so I take a lot of deer. I normally harvest does, as that seems best to help keep the population down. It suits the farmers, and it lets the bucks get a little age. I take a good buck if the chance occurs, or if the season runs long and I am down on numbers I will take a young buck.

Here in my portion of TN we can take 3 antlered deer any season, any weapon, but the limit on does is 3 per day, all season long.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter of TFA
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Good question Don. The buck to doe ratio was way out of whack in our area for a long time and the bucks were taking a pounding. I sit on the local MNR Fish and Wildlife Advisory Council and lobbied for more antlerless tags. I found a biologist's study from one of the northern states that said the ideal B to D ratio was more like 2.5 or 3.5 does for every buck. The local biologist was convinced and the number of antlerless tags was increased so everyone who applied got one. We even had the option of buying an extra antlerless only tag for a couple of years. Then, we were hit with two bad winters in a row that took their toll on the deer population. So, to err on the side of caution, the extra tags were eliminated and we are currently down to an 80 per cent chance of getting an antlerless tag in the draw.
The deer population seems to be rebounding and, hopefully some time in the not too distant future we may have an extra tag option again. Although there are always some who will complain, we are lucky to have the MNR staff at the Minden office that we do. They really do care about the wildlife as well as those of us who hunt them.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Norlander wrote:Good question Don. The buck to doe ratio was way out of whack in our area for a long time and the bucks were taking a pounding. I sit on the local MNR Fish and Wildlife Advisory Council and lobbied for more antlerless tags. I found a biologist's study from one of the northern states that said the ideal B to D ratio was more like 2.5 or 3.5 does for every buck. The local biologist was convinced and the number of antlerless tags was increased so everyone who applied got one. We even had the option of buying an extra antlerless only tag for a couple of years. Then, we were hit with two bad winters in a row that took their toll on the deer population. So, to err on the side of caution, the extra tags were eliminated and we are currently down to an 80 per cent chance of getting an antlerless tag in the draw.
The deer population seems to be rebounding and, hopefully some time in the not too distant future we may have an extra tag option again. Although there are always some who will complain, we are lucky to have the MNR staff at the Minden office that we do. They really do care about the wildlife as well as those of us who hunt them.
Two of the problems that deer managers face are reduced funding (started 30 years ago or more) and weather patterns that are less predictable.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

That's true Don. Big government seems to be less concerned about wildlife than in the past and we can't control the weather.
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Well, when I bought my sons first BB gun, I gave it to him and told him that there was one stipulation. I told him that if he killed an animal with it, he had to eat it. No matter what it was, he had to clean it and we would cook it, and he had to eat it, that simple.
Now that should be instilled into all young hunters, and a few older hunters. :lol: To me that is the thrill of the kill, not if it had horns or not, or if it was the biggest one in the field, that's just trivial. Now lets get out there and enjoy the hunt, can I get an amen. :)
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings