Taking does

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Taking does

Post by Boo »

How many of you guys take does to "better the herd" and who understands why you should take does?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ninepointer

Re: Taking does

Post by ninepointer »

Sounds to me like a loaded question! :wink: I'll wait for the answer, thanks.

For the last few years I've been lucky enough to take doe in the early season and affix my Ontario additional (antlerless only) tag to it. My family and I appreciate the great tasting meat in the freezer. It also takes the self-imposed pressure off, knowing that I've got a deer. I reserve my main tag (buck tag with WMU-specific antlerless validation sticker) for my northern Ontario rifle hunt in November. If I still have a tag left after that, I focus on a buck for the remainder of the archery season.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Boo

Post by Boo »

ninepointer wrote:Sounds to me like a loaded question! :wink: I'll wait for the answer, thanks.

For the last few years I've been lucky enough to take doe in the early season and affix my Ontario additional (antlerless only) tag to it. My family and I appreciate the great tasting meat in the freezer. It also takes the self-imposed pressure off, knowing that I've got a deer. I reserve my main tag (buck tag with WMU-specific antlerless validation sticker) for my northern Ontario rifle hunt in November. If I still have a tag left after that, I focus on a buck for the remainder of the archery season.
Nope, no tricks(I'm not smart enough to be tricky). A whole lot of people never take does and do not understand why they need to. That is why some US states have an "earn a buck" program where they don't get a buck tag until they whack a doe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The more does you have, the less work a buck as to do to a lady. Therefore, during the rut, if there are too many does, then the buck doesn't really have to run around in the open field searching for the doe. Thus it lowers your chances of getting a buck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I have up to four tags available in my WMU. I'd fill the freezer with at least two does before ever holding off on one. We are overrun by deer in our area (although my sightings and successes would say otherwise! :D ) and reducing does is the only way to properly manage the herd. Shoot a buck, only one more possible fawn will be born. But not shooting a doe means that one to three fawns per mating period is possible.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by Carnivorous »

Since I am a meat hunter first I will take a doe anyday (If I have said tag). I belive it helps the herd as well but I will leave that up to the bioligist's to figure that one out.....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Meat's meat.
We can take 6 deer here but only one antlered deer per year. I have one doe in the cupboard already (canned) and will take anything that offers a good shot.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:The more does you have, the less work a buck as to do to a lady. Therefore, during the rut, if there are too many does, then the buck doesn't really have to run around in the open field searching for the doe. Thus it lowers your chances of getting a buck.
It also lowers the chance of that dominant buck passing on it's genetics to more females because if there are more does the lesser bucks have a better chance of mating and putting out a lesser animal. That dominant buck will also have a better chance of making it out of the winter because he won't "screw himself to death" (what a way to go!). You have the idea Scott!
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I have no problem taking a doe, we see alot more does than bucks! Are bioligists determine how many to take per wmu. If I get a tag I will fill it. Passed on getting a tag the last 4 years thinking it would increase the herd, but somebody else will take them anyway and not seeing any difference in the herd. My biggest problem now is the temps. We are still hitting upper 60's to 70 dagrees thru the day and cant let one hang for too long. Doe meat in the freezer is just fine by me!
Crispy
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I get 7 state issued doe permits on my place here in Texas, and I always buy a doe tag when I go to Oklahoma.

I am a firm believer that thinning the doe herd will improve your overall deer herd.
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Brown n' down
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
watamach

Post by watamach »

I prefer to take dry does and leave the ones with little ones go (they are proven reproducers already) I took a nice fat one opening night and now can pick and choose. Someone in this post from Waterloo Region said he can take 4 in his WMU this year. I understand 3 is the limit this year in Ontario. Is this accurate or should I have shot another doe last night?

1 doe bow - complete
1 buck bow - have 3 picked out on my hunting grounds hope I connect
1 deer shotgun
weezy

Post by weezy »

I try to take 3 doe's a year before I go after a buck.The buck to doe ratio is not that great here.Last two times I went hunting I seen 13 doe's and 2 bucks with with them.Thats alot of doe's for them to breed and the little rack bucks have a way better shot with breeding them too like mentioned in the other posts.
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

That's me!

I have the regular tag good for either anterless or not and then I can purchase up to three additional tags again good for anterless or not which totals 4!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by one shot scott »

Some think that taking Does is "un-manly". Personally I have no problem taking them.
I think typical buck to doe ratio is 1:6 'ish
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-