Axiom Scores Again - More Firsts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Axiom Scores Again - More Firsts

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Well I wasn't going to go deer hunting yesterday afternoon, but around 11 a.m. FedEx pull up with my new Tree Saddle. So I thought once I watched the video's and figured out how to use it, I would grab the new Lone Wolf Climbing Stix I bought and head out to give it a try.

The temp was around 85. I don't like to hunt when it's hot like this, but today I'd make an exception. I really wanted to see how well, if at all, the Tree Saddle would work for me. I'm a pretty "big ole boy" as they say and I've heard a lot of pro's and con's on the Tree Saddle concerning larger hunters.

I had emailed Tyler at Trophyline USA (the makers of the Tree Saddle) and he assured me that their XL Tree Saddle would work well for me. In one of the last emails I had asked about a satisfaction warranty. He told me to try the Tree Saddle out for a year and if I didn't like it, send it back and he'd give my money back! How's that for sealing the deal!

Anyhow, I had a particular nasty area in mind to try out the Tree Saddle and the Lone Wolf climbing stix for the first time. It was a crossing on a very shallow draw behind an old dried up, and grown up, slough. When acorns drop from the trees along the draw, many will roll down into the very bottom. For deer, it's like walking along and eating candy from a candy bowl!

Plus, no one else I know hunts this area because it's so thick and nasty. My kind of place!

My furthest shot in this area would only be about 30 yards. In fact, I only had one opening where I could get a clear 30 yard shot (the crossing itself). Most open lanes were in the 15 to 20 yard range. I knew that any deer I saw would be on top of me before I saw them. But I like that!

I got about 15 feet up this Elm that was 8 to 10 inches in diameter and figured that was high enough for the first time using the Tree Saddle. I was wringing with sweat by the time I got settled in just after 4 p.m. A 350 lb man does not set up climbing stix and a Tree Saddle - 15 feet off the ground - when it's 85 degrees outside - without sweating! So much for scent control!

I experimented with different positions with the TS trying to find the most comfortable spot I could. I've heard of some people saying they go to sleep in theirs, but I could never find a comfortable enough spot. Probably because the Elm was crooked and probably because I'm a big hunter!

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the Tree Saddle. Not the most comfortable stand for me, but I've definitely have sit in far worse! I also didn't experience any of the straps cutting into my thighs as some people said it would do. Tyler assured me that if the Tree Saddle was adjusted right, this wouldn't happen.

The reason I wanted a Tree Saddle in the first place was to have a stand I could use for quick hunts. Get in, and set up and hunt. My experience has been that you're most likely to see deer and get a shot the very first time you hunt a stand. There are some public places that I won't leave a stand and I just want to hunt a spot and hunt another spot on another trip. There are just times you don't want to be married to a tree!

But back to the hunt. I sit there the rest of the afternoon, switching positions and walking around the tree and ranging different trees. Just when the woods were quieting down about 6:30, I happened to look to my right and 15 yards away was a small 8 point Buck walking my way.

As usual, he'd came from an area that I wasn't expecting at all! He was paralleling the draw, instead of crossing it, looking for Red Oak acorns.

"Crap" I thought. My bow was hanging on the hanger on my left side. The buck was coming in on my right. I reached up and slowly got my bow down off of the holder. By this time he'd walked behind a big Red Oak tree, so I hurried just a little. My Axiom limb scraped a tree limb and he stopped, still behind the Red Oak. This gave me enough time to get the bow in position and find an opening.

When he walked out from behind the big Red Oak, he was 6 yards away. He stopped and I put the the vertical crosshair, where it goes from thick to thin, low behind his leg. This is the one I use for 10 yard shots.

At the shot, the Firenock left a path that looked like a curve ball! I had hit a limb that I either didn't notice or didn't see through my scope. The arrow entered just below his spine about halfway back. The buck jumped and hopped about 10 yards and I saw my arrow fall out. I knew something wasn't right because it should have passed through him easily at that range!

My heart sank into the bottom of my stomach!

"Not another long tracking job" I thought to myself. I remained still, hoping not to spook the Buck any more than I just had!

He took off at a fast walk back to my left. He stumbled and fell, then got up again and staggered a couple yards and fell again, this time for good. I watched for just few minutes to make sure he was down for good. All told, he went about 30 yards before calling it quits. This took less than 20 seconds from start to finish.

By the way, this is the same GT Laser II and 100 grain Magnum Slick Trick with QuikFletch Vanes that I had used on the other two deer. All I did was clean it up and sharpen the blades myself. Looks like that's all I'll have to do to it again!

After a few minutes, I started getting my stuff together and lowering everything to the ground. I walked over to make sure he was dead and to see where my arrow had exited. It exited his hip and had broke the bone. No wonder he was hoping!

Once again I've learned a few things about using crossbows! Using one for hunting is not nearly as easy as many of the naysayers in the industry will tell you they are. You still have to know your range and be away of those pesky limbs and such! I realized afterward that there is about an inch or so difference between the arrow on the rail and the scope. So what you see isn't the exact path the arrow will take!

I also learned to make sure my crossbow is cocked before pulling it up. I had to make a special trip back down and up again just to cock my bow. Phew! The last thing I needed once I was set up was another trip down that tree!

I also forgot my camera again and didn't get a pic until I got home. But my little "helper" had to get in on the camera action as well. She's getting to where she likes to ham it up for the camera!

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
one shot scott

Re: Axiom Scores Again - More Firsts

Post by one shot scott »

I like a story with a happy ending, congrats.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Awesome story OkXbow! You should be a sales rep. for the Tree Saddle! I'm very intrigued by your explanation and how you can slip into tough places where climbing stands have difficulty. Can't tell you how many times I've found an exceptional place to set up, but no straight trees to use my climber. Always there was a bent tree, or one that had a limb protrude too close to the ground, making it impossible to hunt.

Tell me more about the Wolf Sticks you use! How many do you carry, how high to they get you, do they fit in a back pack, can you continue to climb with the saddle after leaving the sticks??? I know of several places I'd like to go back to IF the saddle makes it possible.

Great story, and congrats on a fine buck!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Well written story! Loved it! Congratulations on your buck! Everyone deer taken with an arrow is a trophy! Bet you're still smiling! :D :D :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great story and nice deer too! Thanks. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Enjoyed the story!
wabi
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

Great story....thanks
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

PA_DeerHunter wrote: Tell me more about the Wolf Sticks you use! How many do you carry, how high to they get you, do they fit in a back pack, can you continue to climb with the saddle after leaving the sticks??? I know of several places I'd like to go back to IF the saddle makes it possible.

Great story, and congrats on a fine buck!
Hey PA. I carry four. They say that you should be able to get 5 feet per stick, but that varies. Yesterday I only used 3 of them and I was about 15 ft.

4 sticks weight 10 lbs. I bought mine off of ebay. Make sure you get the full sized ones, they come in either single, a set of 3 or a set of 4. They also sell the "mini" sticks, which are very short.

Yes you can continue to climb after leaving the climbing sticks if you have limbs or something to climb on. The Tree Saddle is separate from the Climbing Sticks. You will need either a small platform to stand on or a few screw in or strap on steps placed around the tree so you can walk around it if you need to. I bought some old Ameristep strap-on steps and cut all the straps off and put them on one 10 ft strap with a ratchet.

Here's a video of a guy using both the climbing sticks and Tree Saddle. You can get an idea of how they work together.

Using Climbing Sticks and Tree Saddle

Here's a few video's that will explain how they work and how they stack together for transporting. The way they stack together for transporting is pretty cool!

Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks

Here's a YouTube video with a guy showing how he uses his. Very informative.

How to climb with Lone Wolf climbing sticks

You could also use screw in or strap on steps, but I feel the climbing sticks are faster.

Even though I've only used this combo for one hunt, I'm very excited about the future possibilities. I have many locations in mind to try it out on. I quit using Hang-On type stands a few years ago and I've been limited by the areas I could put a ground blind or ladder stand. Not any longer!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Great report and advertisement!Image
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer & yer better man than i am or hungrier to hunt when temps are above 70 degrees
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great job well worth the sweat.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your buck! It is nice to see em go down, right? Clean up the "magic" arrow and use it again, I like that. :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's ! ... another nice whitetail , fell with Excalibur tackle !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Meinrad

Post by Meinrad »

It seems that the Tree Saddle helps you a lot even if you are not comfortable wearing it. Congratulations because you learned many things to become an effective hunter. Do you have a plan to return it?
Last edited by Meinrad on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That was a great story. Could you get a pic of you up a tree with the saddle. Sure is a cool way of hunting deer. You left the vortex home. Shame, Shame. :lol: :D