One Broadhead for all bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

camoman

One Broadhead for all bows

Post by camoman »

I have an Exocet 200, a Compound bow and a Recurve bow. I am trying to find a broadhead that will work for all 3. Has anyone used the 100 grain Montec G5 on thier crossbow? If so what arrow are you using?
OkXbowHunter

Re: One Broadhead for all bows

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I have the 100 grain HellRazors from NAP. They shoot great out of my Recurve and Compound. I thought they would be great out of my Axiom, but they weren't.

So I tried the Slick Trick 100 grain Magnums and they fly great. They also shoot great out of my other bows!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
camoman

Post by camoman »

Did you go with a heavier arrow to compensate for the lighter broadhead?
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i used bear razorheads since i started hunting in 1982 and when they changed those heads to look more modern in style they lost my support for them....i was gonna go to the slick tricks when i seen them and were made of steel unlike the muzzy's out at the time with there alum body....i went to slick tricks 125gr mags when i got my exocet in 08 and will so till they stop making them....i think there 125gr mags are the best all round BH for any bows be it recurve/compound/crossbow....mechanicals to me are for people who can't or don't want to tune there arrows to there bows and vise-versa to shoot fixed heads, just my .02 i'm in-tittled to :wink: ....with the arrow componets out there today ex: brass inserts of various weights anyone should be able to tune there arrows to fly with any fixed heads on the market today....i just like to use the K.I.S.S. aproach to anything i do, and mechaical heads are one more thing that i feel isn't needed with moving parts that can and have failed in the past....just like when i hunted with my compound i only used bare fingers and only pin set for 25 yds, no kisser button, peep sight or drop away rest....again too many moving parts that can and have gone wrong in the field....i have shot that way since 1982 and i got to the point once in my very busy life when i only took 3 shots at 3 deer in 3 years of hunting and brought all 3 home with only 7 days out there hunting in those 3 years....K.I.S.S. is a very valid, very simple way to do things, how many stories have you heard other hunters having troubles with all there extra moving parts equipment that stopped there hunting for the time being ? i know i have heard many stories :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Montec should be fine!
They group with field points out of my Phoenix. :wink:
wabi
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I have used Muzzy 100gr 3 blades with 3 different compounds, a recurve and now my Exocet 200. The only change I had to make was installing brass inserts on my Gold Tip bolts. For unknown reasons I have been able to shoot field tips and broadheads out of all 3 styles of bow without changing my sights at all. Oh ya and last year the buck I shot went about 20ft and dropped, so when I do my part they work really well. TC
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have used montec G5 on my GT II's & 2216 alum. shoot well. Took the Buck in my avitar with one & GT II with miss vixen
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its a number of heads that will work.. Montec G5 is one most like on here. Slick tricks will work great. I like rage bheads and so far are the best I have tried.

everyone works different for every bow though so you may have to do some testing
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I'm using Muzzy MX 3's for my crossbow and my Hoyt ViperTec. They work fantastic!!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I've been very promoting for the Montec G5! I think it is one of the best fixed blade heads out there with its one piece design. I am giving the Rage mechanical a try this season though.
Why ride when you can walk!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I have trouble finding one head for all. Compound loves the rage 2. Yet my crossbows love fixed blades. Only fixed blades I have found that shoot like field points are the Blur broadheads. So I run them on my crossbows.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Go with a Rage. Same POI as your field points. No screwing around resighting in. They will shoot great on all of your set ups.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I find the Slick Trick heads fly beautiful off my Exocet and my Matthews. They are devistating as well.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sorry, didn't go into detail in my first answer. :oops:

I've shot the 100 grain Montecs out of my longbow, recurve, compound, and crossbow.

For the trad bows I used Alaska Bowhunter's Supply tapered carbon shafts and the Montecs group with field points.

For the compound I used PSE carbon arrows and the Montecs fly group with field points.

For the Excalibur I have used 2215 aluminum arrows and GoldTip carbon arrows and the Montecs group right with field points.

Never found a bow/arrow combination yet they didn't shoot well from.
wabi
camoman

Post by camoman »

Thanks for all your input. Looks like there are several to choose from.