What to do with skull and antlers? (pics and story added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

What to do with skull and antlers? (pics and story added)

Post by Pydpiper »

Got me a little buck, I want to keep the antlers in a way I can hang them. Typically my bucks have dinky racks, if you can call them that. Wife keeps them on the table around candles.
This guy is a little bigger, I have the whole head in the freezer and I need some ideas on what to do with it. I am thinking about just cutting the top of his head off and mounting the skull cap to a piece of board, it would be the easiest and closest to my ability.
I need some advice, like where to start..
Sawzall the top of his pumpkin, then boil it? Bleach it?
Advice, pictures or links would be great! :D
Last edited by Pydpiper on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bigbuckonly1

Re: What to do with skull and antlers?

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I like the European mount with the whole skull looks great If you have a decent rack.
I have done 4 now and it is not rocket science call me and I can walk you through it. Or I will do it for $75 if you arr in Mich .
To just cot the rack skip the saw all and use a hand wood saw like you would use to cut a 2x4 you get a more accurate cut and it goes fast you will need some one to hold the head while you cut . 1st cut the fur about 3/4 inch behind the back base of the antlers with a knife then start cutting aiming forb the middle of the eye socket cut all the way to the bottom of the socket then cut from the bridage of the nose to finish.
734-954-0301 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              734-954-0301      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Normally I put the smaller ones on some kind of board.

Here's a few ideas for ya.

Antler mounting boards

Even more antler mounting boards

With most of these, you just cut the skull cap off. I prefer to let them dry a few months after I do this because they will shrink a bit. Make sure you get all the hide and brain membrane off of the skull cap.

Here's a few ways to do it.
Mount deer antlers

How to remove antlers the right way

Okay, that should get you started!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys! The word "European" was escaping me, I think that is the mount that I like. I will open the links when I get home, on the road for a bit here.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

There is nothing fun about doing your own european mount, the first buck I got I did it to and I can still smell the head soup 5 years later. Thats a stink that sticks with ya!! :shock:
But just the skull cap will be alot easier!

Hey pyd, you finally found an avatar eh?!
Last edited by one shot scott on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am going to try to bypass the head soup thing, got the whole head in the freezer, I am going to pull it out and do it while it is frozen to try to take advantage of solid grey matter. :D
one shot scott wrote:There is nothing fun about doing your own european mount, the first buck I got I did it to and I can still smell the head soup 5 years later. Thats a stink that sticks with ya!!:shock:
But just the skull cap will be alot easier!

Hey pyd, you finally found an avatar eh?!
WMU 91
Boo string
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Someone posted this link a year or two ago and I really liked the looks of them. Metal dips for the entire skull. I'm waiting for my next (hopefully) biggun to try this. Here's a link:
www.skullmetallizing.com
Why ride when you can walk!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

If you want to bypass the boiling part, here is an alternative. http://www.masterofskulls.com/

I did my 9pt from last season and I'll never boil another.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

There's a fella down here in Essex County, in Gesto, that uses some type of beetle to clean up skulls right down to the bone. His name escapes me right now but if you want more info I can get his name and number for you.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

DH,

Where did you get the plaque for that mount?

BTW, I've used Mountain Mike's as well and it's a pretty easy way to get an European mount.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

OkXbowHunter wrote:DH,

I just threw it together in the garage. It didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but its not a bad first copy.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Scull cap for sure ... that way you can strap it to your head and prance around while you tell me the story and re-live the moment ! :lol: :lol:

Sucks , I wasn't there to get some pic's ... :)

Congrat's on your 2010 archery buck !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

DuckHunt wrote:
OkXbowHunter wrote:DH,

I just threw it together in the garage. It didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but its not a bad first copy.

DuckHunt
Looks awesome from this end! You did fine!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Wait a minute. Somethings missing. You cant jump right to the trophy mount and not mention anything about the hunt! Your dropping little bits of info, like mentioning in another post about your wife bringing out the cart. Tell us about the hunt, show us pictures, anything! even like r.j mentioned: stap on that "skull cap" and take a pic! :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-