Meat buck on the ground

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Meat buck on the ground

Post by DuckHunt »

It felt odd yesterday painting two deer and a bear with crosshairs and not releasing an arrow. For the first time this season things just wouldn't come in to my comfort zone. It felt good to see other critters. Today I made the predawn climb up to the top of the mountain where I saw the bear yesterday evening and perched myself on 'The Log'.

At 7:15am this small buck that looks very much like the one from yesterday came following my trail. I don't know what the deal is with it this year, but this is the third time I have had deer trail me to my stand. The first two times I was actually in a stand. In both of those cases the deer came all the way to the base of the ladder. Today I was on a log. Having had recent experience with this phenomenon I have got in a habit of walking through a shooting lane at a right angle, then making a circle back to my stand. This little buck read the script. Initially I wasn't planning on taking him. He followed my steps across a shooting lane, then even turned back and made the same circle and was headed right for me. I really didn't want to spook him and have him run out a hundred yards and blow for a half hour. :roll: This was the peak time for movement and I was sitting on 'The Log'. He left me no options. I had to protect my house. :lol: At 23 yards I decided to find out just what an ExoMax will do with brass inserts. I settled the crosshairs and squeezed the shot for a front lower neck/spine shot. He dropped like he was hit with a brass hammer. I had to put a quick follow up in him to end things, but he wasn't going anywhere.
The ExoMax buried all of the FireBolt with brass insert except about 4-inches. That portion was snapped off by the ground when he flipped over backwards. The bolt stopped when it hit spine. I've now broken two broadheads this week. When I was dressing him I retrieved the remainder of my FireBolt minus the Scorpion XP. I had to do some careful searching to retrieve the broadhead. I guess the spine impact was a bit much for the Scorpion XP to survive. It did its job so I guess I can't complain.

I'm really starting to wonder if there is something about the smell on my boots that is attracting deer. They do have their fair share of deer blood and splatter on them, but they also have stinky feet in them too. If bigger bucks start following me to my stand, then I will be a believer.

I called my first turkeys into bow range about an hour later, but couldn't get a clear shot. Once the turkeys got inside of 30 yards and didn't see another turkey, they turned and walked away. I'm going to perch myself up a tree tomorrow in hopes that I may be able to seal the deal.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
weezy

Re: Meat buck on the ground

Post by weezy »

Good job,nice buck!Good luck tomorrow too. :)
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Quite a day. congrats.

Long
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer good eating deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Cograts! can I borrow the boots? :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your buck. :D
Is that a WYVERN mount on your quiver? :?:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

That's a nice chunky Buck! Too bad you couldn't add Turkey breast to the menu today as well...maybe tomorrow??!!

Good Luck!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

frisky wrote:Is that a WYVERN mount on your quiver? :?:
Yep. I prefer it to the GroundPounder mount which I also own only because it keeps the arrows lower and more out of the way. Both are great alternatives to the stock mount.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Congrats on the fine Deer.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Congrats!Image
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Sounds like some real "lucky" boots you have there! Where them into the store when you buy a lottery ticket :P . Congrats on the buck.
Why ride when you can walk!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Nice shooting! Your using the exploding tips like Rambo uses! I use the spitfire 100 3 blade that almost look like yours.I put one thru a doe and it stayed together.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on the buck!

I've had deer trail me when I had red fox urine on my boots. Curious as to what the unusual combination of scents were maybe? (Man so slow a fox marked his shoes or red fox wearing boots?????) :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on a nice deer.
I just bought some new hunting boots and I hope they work as good as yours! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
raven12

Post by raven12 »

congrats on that nice buck!
Excalibur Exocet 200, Lumizone scope, G5 Montec 100grn