Mines Bigger Than Yours!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Migabby

Mines Bigger Than Yours!!

Post by Migabby »

Got into heated discussions this past week at Deer camp. It seem that each Bow manufacture has there own method of determinimg how fast their Xbows shoot. After the steam settled down we all agreed that One arrow of a determined lenght and weight should be used to state the Allmighty Speed issue.

Does the industry have a standard and do you think that there should be one?
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
gerald strine

Re: Mines Bigger Than Yours!!

Post by gerald strine »

It would be nice they do it for vert bows why not x bows. :?:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree, they should have a standard. But it isn't as easy for crossbows. For compounds many use the IBO standard which I think is a 70# draw weight, 30 inch draw and a 350 grain arrow. For crossbows you typically don't adjust the draw weight like you can with compound bows, so the draw weight portion of a standard is out. Since you can't adjust draw length either, that is out of the standard as well. The only thing you could do is shoot a common weighted arrow. It would have to be something heavy enough to be over the minimum weight of the highest powered bows. Something like a 450 grain or 500 grain arrow.

It would be nice to see a standard for crossbows with all bows shooting a 500 grain arrow. I wonder how many would be in the 300+ fps club then?

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Duckhunt you are correct on the IBO specs. As for IBO rating, it's really a bullshit speed that you wont be shooting once your bow is set up. I used to tell customers it's a "Bullshit salesman speed" Once you add nockset a loop or even a tied nock to save some speed. You still have a peep or whatever on the string slowing it down. Then throw on even a normal weight carbon shaft you end up looking at about 30-40fps less than the IBO speed. But the idea of the Crossbow MFG would be a good idea but it has already been stated about the prob with poundage and draw length. Alot of the Crossbow MFG do list what weight arrow they were using for the test. Alot of them rate it with a 400gr arrow from what I have read.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i think most xbow companys use a min arrow weight that should not be gone below like excaliburs 350gr arrow....i know my friends barnet quad 400 says a 425gr arrow in there 345fps from there 150# xbow which i doubt it's that fast....cause his xbow shooting next to my exocet at 295 with 550gr arrow is a bit slower....plus i think with the tac xbow shooting 400+fps uses a real light arrow to get those speeds but i don't know or care bout that xbow info :wink: ......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

350 grain arrows should be the standard!
Just watch out for flying parts when comparing the compound models to the Excalibur. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

10 Point States that they use a 350 grn - 17 1/2 in arrow for there recurves, I think most arrows are around 400-450 grn. and the standard should be based on an average between them. This would stop the BS Speeds, they claim.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Migabby wrote:10 Point States that they use a 350 grn - 17 1/2 in arrow for there recurves, I think most arrows are around 400-450 grn. and the standard should be based on an average between them. This would stop the BS Speeds, they claim.
The recurves can get by w/ lighter weight arrows. When I got my 1st Excal, [04-05]it came w/ FFF string and 357 gr GT's.

Speed is over rated, IMHO.
"Eze 18:21"
secret

Post by secret »

Anytime people start talking "speed" to me all i say to them is........Wheres your bow press?......wheres your double banana..or triple banana?.....dont forget your target to unload......was that a bear or just your safety?...how many shots before you need a string? the best for last.......Warranty?...Customer Service?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string