Shot a buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longshot

Shot a buck

Post by longshot »

I guess that dad told you all that I shot a buck yesterday but we couldn't find him. We were in the new stand that has 3 long shooting lanes in it and it was just about time to come out when the buck showed up. He was on dad's side of the stand so there was no way that I could shoot because there not enough room in the box to move around but dad had already had a plan in mind if this were to happen. I stood up quietly, opened the back door and stepped onto the top step and that gave me enough room to get in his chair. I put the crosshairs right on the buck's shoulder and squeezed the trigger. There was so much smoke from my Muzzleloader that we couldn't tell which way he went. We spent over two hours looking for him but couldn't find anything. I was real confident in my shot and dad said that he heard the bullet "smack" something so we went back this morning with our lab "Mocha" and we also had my little sister with us. When we got to where I shot the buck, Mocha went in the woods but a few minutes later she came out at the stand :? . Dad thought that it was real weird that way she was acting. She was just running all over the place and dad thought that she just needed to calm down a bit but she kept going in at the corn pile and coming out at the stand. About the 5th time, dad reached out and grabbed her. He held her by her cheeks and got right face to face with her and told her to calm down and hunt. All of a sudden, dad had this huge grin on his face and said " Well I'll be dang". When I asked what he was smiling about he pointed to Mocha's nose. Her snout was bloody. Dad said that either she had been to the deer or she had cut her nose on a briar. Dad said that it was time that I handled Mocha by myself so when she went in the woods, I was right down behind her. She would go a little ways and then stop and turn around to make sure that I was there. We were only about 30 yards from the stand when Mocha started really wagging her whole back end instead of just her tail. When I got right up to her I saw his horns :D :D :D . I hollered to dad and sissy that we had found him. That fool deer had just stepped into the edge of the lane and ran right to us but we never heard him crashing but I guess that we were moving around to get dad back in the stand. Anyway, he's not as big as I thought but still a pretty 7 pointer. I looked up and saw dad coming down the path with his cane in one hand and sissy's hand in the other. He had stopped to rest and was looking up. I'm pretty sure that I know who he was talking to :wink: . Y'all, my dad is a great man and I can only pray that I will turn out as good as him. I know this has nothing to do with the hunt but there are a lot of kids at my school that say stuff like " I have to spend the weekend with my old man". Can you imagine someone saying that about their own father? I feel so sad for them because it is not their fault that their parents split up. Dad says that he and mom are still together because they work hard at it and that makes the bad times easier :? . I don't understand it but if dad said it, it's true. I wish that every kid had a mom and dad like mine. Me and sissy are lucky kids, we are blessed because they make sure that God stays in our house all the time :D .

I hope that I can say this on excalibur. Dad, I sure do love you and appreciate everything that you do for us and I know that your friends here think a lot of you too. I wish that I could take your pain away but I can't so we will keep praying. Your a great man dad and I wouldn't trade you for nothing in the world.

OK, I'm sorry that it took so long to type this but I am slow on the keyboard. Here is a picture of Sissy and I cutting up with my buck.

PS. Yea dad, Mom helped me put what I wanted to say on this post while you were napping. My grammer isn't this good on my own :lol: .
NewGuy

Re: Shot a buck

Post by NewGuy »

Congrats again.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
secret

Post by secret »

Great story! Congrats!!!! Nice buck!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That is a fine buck young man! A nice tribute to your father as well.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Nice shooting! :mrgreen:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Way to go Longshot!!!!!!!!!
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

way to go .noww it is dads turn to shoot and you can drag his deer out .lots of fun hunting with family DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

That was a great story! Congratulations. Aren't those labs smart dogs though?! I love em.

On the thing with dads. It sometimes can be difficult to understand but it is not only with divorced parents as some kids grow up with a bad father and that can make life pure Hell. I wish it were never that way for any child but we can't choose our parents.

You are right in thinking like you do about your dad; he is one great father and man. You will follow in his footsteps. Oh, I also wish I could take his pain away. That can be awful to live with so sometimes if he gets to acting a bit frustrated and does some things he doesn't normally do, it is caused by that pain and the frustration of having to deal with it every day. Just love him! Mom too.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats . . .good to hear some success stories! Great picture.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

A beauty buck Longshot,congrats and way to go at not giving up,I knew in my heart that you would find him.God bless you and your family :D
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
raven12

Post by raven12 »

Nice buck!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Excalibur Exocet 200, Lumizone scope, G5 Montec 100grn
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats Longshot!
Crispy
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You are having quite a season their BUCK shooter congratulations. where did you hit him? He is a wonderful buck :!: I hope you do something nice with the antlers.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
weezy

Post by weezy »

Nice Buck Tyler!Congrats :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on a nice buck Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi