Down Range Energy???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W4MWK

Down Range Energy???

Post by W4MWK »

Hi,
I've been hunting Whitetail Deer with a crossbow for quite a few years, I'm using an old PSE Foxfire which was out of date, I have since sent it back to PSE for a Limb update to make it legal in NC. Now I'd like to purchase a new Bow! I've looked at a lot of Cross Bow's in the past few week's, All of the sales people tell me the "one they happen to be pushing to sell" has the best down range energy.
I do realize that this is a Manufactuer's forum! But I'll ask any way.
Which Cross Bow on the market today has the most down range energy?
Happy Hunting,
Mike
bob1961

Re: Down Range Energy???

Post by bob1961 »

depends how heavy an arrow you want to shoot....claims from mfg are with heavy arrows but don't tell you how heavy due to the speed thing they all try to push....with my 550gr arrow i'm just over 100fp KE from my exocet :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Reckon the one with the most maybe that Scorpyt 165 that shoots 425 fps
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not trying to be a wise guy, but the energy means nothing if you can't put the arrow right where you want it to go.
Excaliburs excel in accuracy, and even the Vixen has plenty of energy to handle game the size of moose and elk. Plenty of stories in the archives here to prove that. :wink:

Not saying other crossbows can't do the job, just saying I have complete confidence my Excalibur CAN!
wabi
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

My question is what are you hunting? If you are hunting cape buffalo or elephants downrange energy is an issue, but for North American game you don't need a lot of punch, just accurate arrow placement. If you opt for heavy arrows in an effort to increase energy you give up flight speed. This can be a problem where distance estimation or string jump is an issue, which translates to "downrange". In my opinion if you have one more footlb than is required for full penetration you are adding flight time, assuming that you are working within the recommended arrow weights from the manufacturer of your crossbow. I hear a lot about using heavy arrows to increase impact energy, but how deep the arrow is stuck in the ground never worried me as long as it went through the critter first.
redeye

Post by redeye »

My sons 175 lb axiom shot a bolt through a 8-point deer this year just as easy as my 225 lb equinox shot through 2 bucks last year.