Canning!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Canning!

Post by vixenmaster »

In 15 min. i turn the range off & pull 4 qts of canned back-straps out of canner. Tomorrow i will cut up a hind qtr. & can it, yummy!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hikerman

Re: Canning!

Post by hikerman »

Sounds tasty,
how are you ding it? What are you adding to it?
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds good!
I turned the backstraps into jerky (all gone now - it's been 2 weeks! :lol: ) and canned the meat from the large cuts on the deer I shot opening day.

I just packed the deer meat (cut into small 1" +/- chunks) in the jars, added a pinch of salt, and processed for 75 minutes @ 5# pressure (for our altitude below 1000').

My wife made a big pot of soup (veggies, deer meat, and beef broth) with the trimmings off the rest of the meat and I canned (10 pints) of the soup. (60 minutes @ 10# pressure) Tried a jar of it for lunch Friday, and I'll have to say there WILL be more soup made the next time I kill a deer! :lol:
wabi
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Could some of you post pics of the jars of Venison?

I put up 11 pints last week. It was my first attempt at canning. The meat shrank in the jars and there was quite a bit of liquid.

I had several jars that did not seal, I just put those in the fridge and ate them within a few days.

Glad this subject was brought up because now I have more to can!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This was my 1st time canning anything. I put 1/2 teaspoon of garlic & 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt. 4 qt's all sealed

Half Bubble Off BD360

OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

automated11 wrote:Do you add liquid or does it just form from whats in the meat? Im interested in canning but I have never done any before.
Auto,

The Doe I killed opening day this year was my first attempt at canning Venison. It's really easy, just take it slow and follow directions. Oh, and you'll need a pressure canner.

The liquid comes from the meat, or at least mine did. I took cubed Venison, raw, and put into pint jars. I don't pack mine real tight, just put them in there all snug :) I put a 1/2 teaspoon canning salt per pint. On the last batch, I added some chopped onion to the jars. One didn't seal, so after it cooled, I put it in the fridge. Tried it the next day and it tasted just like seasoned stew meat!

I process my jars at 10 lbs for 75 minutes (recommended time for pint jars from the Ball Blue Book of Canning)

BTW, thanks Vixen for the picture, mine looks very similar!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
wabi

Post by wabi »

It's easy to can deer meat.
I like wide-mouth pints for the meat. Cut the meat into small cubes (3/4 - 1"), pack it into clean jars, add a small amount of canning salt to each jar, place lids & rings on the jars, process for the time/pressure recommended for your altitude.

No need to add liquid to the meat, it will make it's own. I have added onion, garlic, hot peppers, etc. in the past, but decided to do meat only this year. It's easy to season it after it's opened.

Even got fancy with the labels, my wife didn't like labels saying "dead deer soup", so I made it "vegetable-deer soup". :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top jars are soup, bottom jars are meat.
deer.JPG
wabi
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

What in the world is wrong with dead deer soup :lol:
Crispy
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used widemouth qt's & i added water to the neck of them. Reason i went with qt's is my mrs likes to have plenty fer another meal out of jar.
Half Bubble Off BD360

B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

We've canned almost all of ours for many years. We do pack the cubes into the jay add a little salt and let them cook. You can add lots when you open the cans. You can even make a cold sandwich when you open the jar because the meat is already cooked. Tasty stuff it is.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Looks so tasty!!

I am going to try this first time too. Can't wait!!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I got 4 qts of the hind qtr. canned last nite, thats alot of knife work. The back-straps are so much easier n quicker. So i need to clobber another tick toter!
Half Bubble Off BD360

OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

:lol: :lol: Wabi, I love those labels!
wabi

Post by wabi »

OkXbowHunter wrote::lol: :lol: Wabi, I love those labels!
You should see my labels on the tenderloins I put in the freezer!
MUD VEIN!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (that way they're still there when I look for them)
wabi
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Been canning venison for years, good way to take some pressure off the freezer. Mom & stepdad winter in Florida and they take some with them each year. A guy in the park they stay at said he didn't like venison? Mom fixed up a meal using the canned meat & never told him He gobbled it down. I think I'll have hot venison sandwich tonight!!