Ooooppps... I missed!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Ooooppps... I missed!

Post by theoldarcher »

I had a great morning anyway. It started when I had a gray fox come across the field and stop about 10 yards away. He stayed for about 5 minutes then left the way he came. About 20 minuets later a group of 8 hens came out and feed around me for 15 or 20 minutes. I thought one of them was going to come into the blind with me for a minute. Shortly after that I heard a deer blowing down the ridge. I knew it couldn’t have smelled me because of the direction the wind was blowing. Sure enough, about 5 minutes later I heard a deer running behind me. I eased around and watched as a GOOD 7 point came up the hill in my direction. Right behind him was a smaller 6 point following him. As usual, I got greedy and tried to hold off for the bigger deer. He stopped at 35 yards while the smaller one was only around 20 yards. I should have taken the shot at the smaller one because they both broke and ran again without getting the shot off. About 15 minuets latter a small 5 point came out of the woods on the opposite side. He was standing dead broadside eating acorns at 18 yards. Unfortunately, several piled up dead limbs were in the way and I couldn’t get the shot off. About this time the trash truck came up the drive of the property owner and he spooked back into he woods. After about 20 minutes a doe came out on the opposite side of the field and came my way. She came within 15 yards but wouldn’t stop. When I bleated at her she spooked and ran. She stopped at what I judged to be 30 yards. Unfortunately she was more like 39 yards and my arrow sailed under her. What a morning! It’s all good, even though I missed. I still have time to make up for it before season ends.
sumner4991

Re: Ooooppps... I missed!

Post by sumner4991 »

Now that sounds like fun. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah yes hunting, i saw 11 tree rats this morning. I kept hearing the leaves like a tick toter or 2 were easing thru the whites oaks. Finally from behind my tree 2 of them step out they were black spaniels i reckon about 30 pounders, :lol: This is the 2nd time they have been out where i was in my tree stand
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

That was a fun Hunt, and that's why they call it hunting and not killing.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Migabby wrote:That was a fun Hunt, and that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

You mean shopping, right? :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

You sure got some action. Don't have to spill blood to have a good time. You have plenty of time to fill your tags yet. Enjoy! 8) :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Do you have some G. P. S numbers of that stand :lol:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Things are just starting to get right around here for deer to start moving. The daytime highs are still a little warm but mornings are in the low to middle forties now. This was the first day that I have seen movement like this since season has came in here in Georgia. By the late October things should really get interesting. All the property I hunt is in the city limits and it gets little to no hunting pressure what so ever. Around here most do not even think about hunting inside the city limits so I get it all to myself.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

best place to hunt dave :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

theoldarcher wrote:Things are just starting to get right around here for deer to start moving. The daytime highs are still a little warm but mornings are in the low to middle forties now. This was the first day that I have seen movement like this since season has came in here in Georgia. By the late October things should really get interesting. All the property I hunt is in the city limits and it gets little to no hunting pressure what so ever. Around here most do not even think about hunting inside the city limits so I get it all to myself.
I like hunting an area where there IS some human traffic and activity. The deer don't usually spook at just one of their senses (sound, sight, or smell) being triggered. They might be alerted, but they don't flee at the first sniff of odor, glimpse of movement, or unusual noise. I've shot a few that were alerted, but trying to decide if I really was a danger or not and got a bit too close to find out. :lol:

The pre-rut activities are starting to kick in here, too. Noting serious yet, but they are checking out old scrapes, sparring a bit, etc. More bucks showing up at the food plot/feeder as they see what does are visiting, and what their breeding status might be.
wabi