ladder stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Re: ladder stands

Post by wabi »

Don,
I'll have to get some pics of the stand/location for you.
It's in a big red oak tree that sets alone in the brush line between small fields. We have a food plot - feeder - salt block in one field that is about 120 yards x 35 yards in size. It's been there for a few years now, and it's just part of the landscape. I even had to clean acorn "cuttings" (from the squirrels using it, too) off the seat cushion when I climbed up this evening.
There's a big limb projecting out from the center of it that barely clears the shooting rail (I centered the stand/limb so two of us can set in it), and another big limb to the side of it that breaks up my outline when I'm setting in it. Plus a big cedar tree behind me (right against the oak) that offers concealment from any deer coming in to the food plot from the creek crossing behind me.
I've shot a lot of deer from that location over the years. I also have a ground blind to cover that end of the food plot that I use in bad weather.

I added one of those umbrella roofs over it a couple weeks ago, so it's a wet-weather stand now. :lol: (but when it gets cold I'll be in the blind with my propane heater - nothing like being comfortable while you're helping the farmer control the "bean eater" population)

Our shooting bench in in the field on the other side of the brush line. I can climb down and check my sights by walking 30 yards. :lol:
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

wabi is that the farm you got me permission to hunt....if so i'm gonna come over next year for sure if the invite is still there :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Tree stand? Hmmmmm. Make sure you get a good one that is built real good.
I've talked to far too many peole who has had them break or they fall out of them!
Person can get seriously hurt.

For me, I don't care how high I go as long as one foot is on the grown!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
lscha

Post by lscha »

We have 2 productive ladder stands on the property. My husband just bought a Sniper Spotter XT, 17', two seater, padded rail............

He thinks it's his. :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

I use to use a two man ladder stand to take the kids out with me, there was plenty of room and are much more comfy then the 4 single ladder stands I have. Cocking your bow is much easier in this type of stand, and the rest bar makes for a nice steady shot. I covered my stand with camo netting which concealed me while I entered the stand and any movements that I made with my crossbow. It is heavy, and takes a little time to set up so two people is recommended to do this. Save any branches around your sitting area for hanging things, these are much quieter then the screw in pegs.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I hunt out of three of the two-man stands regularly. They are only 12ft, but you can get a 4ft extension. I prefer them to the single person ladder for the extra room and maneuverability you have in the stand.

The downside is that you really need to have two folks to set it up safely. I've moved mine a few times and each was a death defying experience. Nothing like balancing 125lbs of steel above your head.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys who have had the stands stolen. Did you ever try bolting the sections together? I would think it would be a pain to seal.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

I have one Big Dog Red Tick II 17.5 ft. ladderstand that I use by myself or with my 8 yr. old son. It's the first ladder that I have ever used, but I am happy with it and bought another which is still in the box. It also has the full floor which I wanted just for safety's sake with my son up there with me.

Don...my thoughts on "locking" the ladder sections together would be to replace the supplied pin with a larger pin or bolt...large enough to drill a hole in the pin and put a padlock through it, but I'm afraid the pin diameter would be so small that you wouldn't get much of a lock onto it (if any). I don't want to drill the rail out to accommodate a larger pin either as I don't want to weaken the rail itself.

Another idea I had was to place a piece of sheet metal over 2-3 ladder steps and have it locked to the vertical rails so as to prevent someone else from even using the stand...I guess it would also make it more difficult to steal it as well.
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex