String Wax Buildup On Rail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NonTypicalCPA

String Wax Buildup On Rail

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I have an Exocet 200 that I bought used last fall. It's a 2008 or 2009 model. When I got it the rail had residual wax build up in places. I wasn't sure if that is normal, and it shoots fine so I haven't removed it. Now I'm beginning to think I should as it looks dirty to me. Should I clean it off? If so, what should I use - will soapy water work or is there something better?

By the way, I got my first ever crossbow deer with it this week and I'm loving it!
OkXbowHunter

Re: String Wax Buildup On Rail

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Congrats on your first Deer!

When wax builds up on my rail, I spray some Break Free on a rag and it comes right off and my rail is all nice and clean...not to mention slick!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
redeye

Post by redeye »

91 percent rubbing alcahol will remove it,not good to let dust and crud get on string serving I've read.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

A silicone spray is good to use too. As long as it's clean and dry. If you use something other than bstout's suggestion, then wipe the substance off the rail real good. Otherwise, dust and dirt can gather.

Congrats on the deer!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

I was at an archery shop testing out my new boo string and it smelt like something was burning after 12 shots. The person working there gave me some rubbing alcohol to clean my rail and then gave me some lubricant that gets put on like a bingo dabber, dab it on, rub it in X2 and your good to go. He did not have any more for sale and can’t keep it on the shelf so when I finally do get it I will post the name of it.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

FIRST CONGRATS ON THE DEER :!:
I just wipe the rail with a warn out sock from the rag pile and it gits the wax off with some elbow grease.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

Thanks for the responses. I'll clean it up with alcohol and then rub some silicone spray it.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Keep it off your string . . .it breaks down the wax, which protects the string . . .

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I scrape excess off w/ credit card and then take a rag w/ WD 40 on it to get the rest. My buildups seem to have become a thing of the past w/ Daltons, fwiw, but I'm not shooting as much these days. Imho, one can 'over wax'.

I have a can of Jig-A-loo but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

awshucks wrote:I scrape excess off w/ credit card and then take a rag w/ WD 40 on it to get the rest. My buildups seem to have become a thing of the past w/ Daltons, fwiw, but I'm not shooting as much these days. Imho, one can 'over wax'.

I have a can of Jig-A-loo but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I've just started using Dalton's wax too. So far I like it a lot. However, I'm like you, not been shooting a lot. Dalton's seems to penetrate the string better.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen