warning extreme noobie/rookie questions ahead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

robbyc

warning extreme noobie/rookie questions ahead

Post by robbyc »

* sorry guys, i origianly posted this in the buy and sell section :s see i am a rookie lololol, i was adviced to move it to this section for better hits and more replies, so here we go*

hello members and xcal lovers alike,

once again i thank all of the member who helped me with my first question on this forum.. ive searched the forum top and bottom to find answers to a load of questions i have , but have come up empty handed.. so i have no choice but to ask the pros( you guys ) some newbie, rookie maybe dumb questions...pls bare with me as i have gone through most of the archivies staying up to the early hours of the morning looking for answers..so far i have a stock 2009 phoenix, and i saved my pennies and purchased a lumizone scope.. im interested in upgrading or enhancing or souuping up if you will, my bow.. so here are a couple of questions.well here i go:

a) where im from in toronto i have only scene xcal quivers that mount to the bottom of the bow.. where can i find, or how can i make one of those genius quivers that mount directly above the shooting rail?

b) has anyone ever tried triming down the stock firebolt arrows to reduce weight and possible gain a few feet per second..

c) what is the name of the rubber stopper which dappens and stops teh string after the bow has been shot, how can i make or where can i purchase them..

d) who is this famous "boo" i keep hearing about , and where can i get one of those high in demand strings..

well those are the ones i can remember for now... if anyone has any sort of advice , important or miniscule , pls dont hesitate to share.. ive been using compounds for a while, but am a straight rookie when it comes to the awsome xcal.. any secret modifications or add ons pls let me in..
thanks so much in advance
apprecaite any help and adive givin
robbyc
one shot scott

Re: warning extreme noobie/rookie questions ahead

Post by one shot scott »

We all are newbies at some point! This is a very informative forum and the guys here will make you an expert in no time!

I will answer questions that I know answers to and leave the rest to the pros here. Boo is a member here who makes strings, the majority oif them for excalibur bows. A great guy to deal with just give him a p.m.(private message) and he will take care of you. He generally perfers new excal owners to shoot the factory excal string for a period of time since in the event of a dry fire damage is less likely to occur to the limbs if you have a excal string on, but his string servings(middle of string) are more durable, and if you order one with whiskers served on they are quieter. His webpage is a wealth of information:

http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html

The rubber stopper is called a sts, a good option to have on the bow for noise reduction, but more importantly: dry fire protection since damage to the limbs is less likely. Excalibur is coming out with a version of their own, but they have not said when. We hope within the next few months.
Welcome to the forum!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome, were were all new once.

a) where im from in toronto i have only scene xcal quivers that mount to the bottom of the bow.. where can i find, or how can i make one of those genius quivers that mount directly above the shooting rail? another top mount option, Dan Miller quiver mount

b) has anyone ever tried triming down the stock firebolt arrows to reduce weight and possible gain a few feet per second..EEG: effort exceeds gains, imho.

c) what is the name of the rubber stopper which dappens and stops teh string after the bow has been shot, how can i make or where can i purchase them.. answered

d) who is this famous "boo" i keep hearing about , and where can i get one of those high in demand strings.. Don Katsumi, look for his 'Boo' posts and click on his site
"Eze 18:21"
Tom

Post by Tom »

Please do not feel scared too ask Noobie/Rookie questions. The only dumb questions are questions that were not asked. If your do not know or are not sure of something, please ask as it is better for your enjoyment and safety.

Now for your "b" question. You can shorten or lighten arrows but as Awshucks said, it is not really worth the effort. Making the arrow lighter to gain FPS will also increase the noise of the bow. Many members have gone to heavier arrows to quiet the bow some. There is no maximum arrow weight, but there is a minimum and to go below that you could damage the limbs, or worse, yourself.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

robbyc,
There are a few options for top quiver mounts. Along with the one above, here is another that I use.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=252

There is also the groundpounder mount, but those may no longer be available. If you are interested in it you can ask in the forum to get the latest status.

Welcome to the forum

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My new motto . . .Never underestimate the power of a newbie. :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Most things have been tried. However, every once in a while someone will surprise us. Some are good, some are not so good. :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
robbyc

Post by robbyc »

good afternoon gents,
thank you so much for the advice and help, i love my phoenix and it shoots so accurately.. if i have any more questions or queries i wont hesitate to ask you guys..
thanks again
robbyc :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!
I think your questions have been answered.
That's one thing i really like about this forum!
On most forums you'll get responses like, "read the archives!",
here you get answers! :D
wabi
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum robbyc

It is a great place to visit, but very hard to stay way from. :lol: :lol:
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Welcome to the forum :) . Most of your questions so far look like they have been answered. I'm still in retirement with my mount :lol: but for an alternative I would give the Danny Miller a try.
Why ride when you can walk!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

A few weeks or so ago i saw a top mount selling on ebay and i was to busy bidding on other things to hunting with and i figured that it would be cool to have and it was a groundpounder...i figured i could get one anytime and now that i know i cant i wish i had bidded on it. The other versions are nice but the groundpounder looked sturdy and centered thats what i want.
As for now i carry my Quiver in my pack and that works great for me
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

onebigskittle wrote: The other versions are nice but the groundpounder looked sturdy
Munch Mounts are sturdy also. Just tell him you want the upgraded posts if you get one of the light weight mounts.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Thanks for the help Wheelie