POI KEEPS CHANGING

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tmberghst

POI KEEPS CHANGING

Post by tmberghst »

2010 PHOENIX W/VARIZONE,HAS ABOUT 100 +ARROWS FIRED THRU IT.WENT ON A 3 DAY HUNT AND UPON RETURNING HOME SHOT OFF MY BENCH REST , WAS STILL ABLE TO HIT MY DIME SIZED ORANGE DOTS AT 20 YARDS.PICKED CB UP 4 DAYS LATER AND FIRST SHOT WAS 3.5 INCHES HIGH AT 20 YARDS,NEXT FEW ARROWS IT GOT CLOSER BUT STILL HAD TO READJUST THE FINAL 1.5 INCHES TO GET IT BACK ON MY TARGET DOT.2 DAYS AGO SHOT DOE AT 14 YARDS AND WAS AT LEAST 3'' HIGH ON SHOT,THOUGHT IT WAS ME ON THE SHOT BUT MAYBE NOT.SHOT AGAIN THIS MORNING OFF BENCH REST AND SHOOTING A LITTLE HIGH AGAIN AND DID NOT SEEM TO HAVE THE ACCURACY IT HAD WHEN I FIRST SIGHTED IN THE CB.ACCURACY WAS AT THAT POINT BEING ABLE TO HIT A SPOT WAY SMALLER THAN A DIME WITH EVERY SHOT.HAVE CHECKED ALL SCREWS AND HARDWARE NOTHING IS LOOSE I CAN FIND.ANY IDEAS , DO I HAVE A SCOPE PROBLEM? ANY ONE ELSE HAVE A ISSUE LIKE MINE,OR AM I EXPECTING TO MUCH FROM THIS CB.
sumner4991

Re: POI KEEPS CHANGING

Post by sumner4991 »

Probably the scope.

However, did you shoot the same arrow each time? Might want to check it a few times using the same arrow. It might be a bad batch of arrows.

Do you have any excess black padding material sticking out from your riser, like in this picture? The fletching could be hitting this . . .there shouldn't be anything in that open area of the riser. It's a little blurry in this picture . . .at the bottom.

If so, then take a box cutter and trim it off even with the riser.

Did you change the way you gripped the stock? That can change the POI, but, not usually that much.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
tmberghst

Post by tmberghst »

THANKS FOR REPLYING SUMNER ,SAME ARROW EVERY SHOT AND STRING IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION , RAIL IS CLEAN WITH NO BUILDUP.ALSO SHOOTING OFF SAND BAGS ON BENCH REST NOT TOUCHING MUCH BUT THE TRIGGER. SEEM TO HAVE READ ABOUT SCOPE ISSUES A FEW TIMES THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS,IS THIS AN OCCASIONAL PROBLEM WITH THE VARIZONE.AND IF SO IS ANYONE USING A DIFFERENT BRAND SCOPE ON THERE PHOENIX AND THE RESULTS.I MOSTLY HEAD HUNT AND I MUST HAVE UTTERMOST CONFIDENCE IN MY EQUIPMENT AS SHOTS AT MATURE WHITETAIL BUCKS COME FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. AM LEAVING IN THE MORNING FOR A 4 DAY HUNT AT LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES-NORTHERN MIDDLE TENNESSEE.AM NOW A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT SHOOTING MUCH PAST 20 YARDS.
Mr. Cellophane

Post by Mr. Cellophane »

My son's Phoenix was not holding a pattern. I corrected the problem by removing the stock and tightening the two screws that attach the trigger assembly to the rail (frame). Upon tightening the screws I put the stock back on and made elevation adjustments to the scope and the problem was solved. I hope this solves your problem.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

May I ask why are you yelling. Turn your cap lock off.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on cap locks. Now, let's figure out your problem. #1 rope cocker? #2 same problem w/ field points? #3 new string?
"Eze 18:21"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If you keep having a shifting POI get ahold of Dan Miller ,pronto . Hunting season is no time to be not confident in your equipment .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
tmberghst

Post by tmberghst »

Thought you guys were half blind and hard of hearing,just kidding!Always-always use rope cocker,same problem with field points and BH.String is the one that came with bow and is excellent shape,around 100 shots and still shows very little wear on the bottom side ,I keep it lubed just like I have read on hear to do.2 weeks ago I could hit a nat at 20 yards,would hit a quarter at 40 yards every time with my BH setup-GT arrows,brass inserts,2'' blazers with around 5 degrees,and 100'' grain 1'' slick tricks.I was very impressed with the accuracy.This was all off sand bags.Does not seem to want to do that now.Took it completely apart awhile ago and checked every screw, all were tight.Must be scope?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Get ahold of Dan then .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had the same problem in the past.
The POI would sometimes hold for dozens of shots, and sometimes would shift from shot to shot.
New scope cured the problem. :wink:

Call Danny Miller (740) 483-2312
Danny will get your problem fixed quickly!
wabi
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'm going with scope on this one. Sure you didn't bang it real hard, or possibly your wife or one of your kids did or something to it accidentally? Even if not, it can still go bad and this sounds like the case this time.
In the Wind.......
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I'd say scope too. I had almost the same kind of thing happen with my Ibex a few weeks ago, except I had a Lumizone act up. The setup had been shooting right on the money since last spring and then all of a sudden it was shooting all over the place. Adjusted the scope and it would be on for a few shots.... then same thing all over again. I checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Finally took the scope off and put my old red dot on it. Sighted it in and it was just fine. I called Danny Miller and he had a new scope to me in less than 5 days. I think maybe a half a dozen shots and had the new scope sighted in. Been working like a charm ever since. Call Danny and he'll get you back on track in no time! :wink:
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Changes in vertical POI like you describe are often a result of loose trigger screws or scope mount screws or a loose rear scope bell . Lacking that, I'm thinking it might simply be a wonky scope. Try to see if everything is tight and you can't move the scope or rear scope bell up or down. If that's the case I'd just get Dan Miller on the phone at 740 483 2312 and arrange a replacement scope. Sorry you are having troubles but w'll get it right as quick as possible.
maximus

Post by maximus »

HI all,
I had the same problem at the start of last season. different poi,and sometimes the same.
What i found was that the actual mount that hold the scope to the crossbow was loose. Tightened every bolt and screw that I could see,and that worked.
Good luck. I know what a confidence killer not hitting the same spot can be!!!!!
MAXIMUS