Vixen vs. Vixen II - Help a Brother Out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Vixen vs. Vixen II - Help a Brother Out

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Can one of you Vixen owner/historians give me a little insight about this model?

What's with the Black ones, brown ones, Vixen, Vixen II, etc????

When did they come out with a mag tip?

What are the differences between a Vixen and Vixen II?

I'm thinking of getting one as my second ExCal. Mainly to have as a backup to my Axiom, but also for my Wife and Daughter to shoot. I momentarily thought about buying one of the Pink Camo models to encourage them to shoot it. But then I got to thinking I might like it so much that I'd start hunting with it myself. I had visions of myself sitting in a tree with a Pink Camo crossbow. :shock:

I have to tell ya, a 350 lb man carrying a Pink crossbow around in the woods is just plain wrong! :roll: I'll stick to the muted or traditional camo colors thank you! I just need to know the differences in the various models in case I find a used one.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
munch

Re: Vixen vs. Vixen II - Help a Brother Out

Post by munch »

my daughter wants to know whats wrong with pink
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

munch wrote:my daughter wants to know whats wrong with pink
OKxbow . . . .Just stay away from the matching lipstick and you should be OK. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

1995 vixen 150 lb carved tip limbs cast straight riser. 2000 or 2001 i think they started the machined straight riser with mag tip Black. 04 or 05deerhide brn. Forward riser mag tip, also Deluxe model was camo & had Dis Bars. 08 vixen II shorter powerstroke & stock. carved tip models slowest deerhide brn fastest!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

munch wrote:my daughter wants to know whats wrong with pink
In your Daughters hands (or anyone elses besides mine...) there's nothing wrong with Pink. Just not my color :D :wink:

@Vixenmaster

Thanks for the quick history lesson.

Now another question, what makes the brown vixens faster than the Vixen II's?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OkXbow . . .sorry, got distracted by all the pink. That's a great set-up . ..but you are right, just wouldn't work for you.

The longer powerstroke is faster.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Thanks Sumner...that should have been obvious for me to figure out...but I also was distracted by all the Pink!! :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The 1st yr phoenix had same powerstroke as the vixen in 05 & that was Forward riser series. I think they dropped the powerstroke back down in 07 last yr of brn vixen's from 14" to 13 1/2". Of course its optional FFF string & 325 gr arrow fer that fps. I prefer 375 gr if short yardage. If shooting 30 yds plus 425-450 gr is better
Half Bubble Off BD360

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Surprisingly enough it wouldn't be hard to find pink camo to match the pink xbow should you decide to go with it. :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The history of Excalibur crossbows can be a bit convoluted, but I'll try to summarize it as succinctly as possible.

Prior to 2000, all three available Excalibur models had cast risers and had carved-tip limbs. The Vixen, Exocet, Exomag had respectively a 14", 15" and 16" powerstroke, and a draw weight of 150, 165 and 185 lbs.

In 2001 Excalibur acquired CNC machines and started producing machined risers and introduced mag-tipped limbs.

In 2002 to acquire the advertised speeds, the powerstroke of both the Exocet and Exomag was increased by 1/2", which increased the draw weight to 175 and 200lbs respectively, while the Vixen's remained at 14" and 150lbs. Camo patterns also changed from year to year, but had no effect on performance.

In 2003, the plain "Deerhide" brown colour was introduced to reduce cost and was available, as well as the camo, in all three models.

In 2004 a new Exomax model was introduced, and the Exomag was dropped. The only difference between the two was that the Exomax had an angled riser, which increased the draw weight to 225 lbs. Also the Vixen was now only available in the colour brown. The Vixen Deluxe (i.e. in camo) made in 2003 was no longer available.

In 2005 another new model the Phoenix, advertised as 175lbs draw weight was introduced, it like the Vixen had a 14" powerstroke, the only difference was the riser (angled vs straight) it came in camo vs brown.

In 2006, the straight riser was dropped, so in order to differentiate between the Vixen and the Phoenix, the Vixen's powerstroke was decreased by 1/2" to 13.5" and the Phoenix's was increased to 14.5".

In the following years other models and further changes were made, for brevity I won't elaborate or bore you. However to answer your question the Vixen remained the same.

Finally in 2009 with the Deerhide brown colour in short supply, the Vixen was dropped and the Vixen II was introduced and available in Realtree Hardwoods HD or AP Pink. The overall length was shorten by 1" to 35.5" and the weight reduced from 6 to 5.9 lbs. The other specs remaining the same as 2008.

Hopefully that should answer your questions.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
LegoLeglessLegolas

Post by LegoLeglessLegolas »

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I thought I'd chime in:

I have an old, black with grey leaves, Vixen. I bought it at a going out of business sale back around 2002 or 2003 from a small hunting store in a small rural Ontario village. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I do remember that it was close to half of the regular price. I also remember that they had the Exocet in stock, but I went with the Vixen, even though I'm over 6' tall. I've just been using it in my back yard for target practice all these years, and it still has the original string and still works like it did the day I bought it.

Here's a picture of it relaxing in the comfy chair by the front window:

https://i.sli.mg/1nQJPW.jpg

So, I'm wondering if there is anything I should do with this older model if I do want to go hunting with it? A better string is pretty obvious, but aside from that, what would you do with something like this? Is it worth keeping as is, modifying, or should I upgrade to one of the new Matrix Micro models?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Keep it n shoot it, nice clean carved tip vixen 1999 i figure. You may want to put a new string on it if'en the old one is more than about 6 yrs old. You could get a set of mag tip limbs to use newer material Flemish strings
Half Bubble Off BD360

Gabrielpr

Vixen vs Vixen II Help a Brother Out

Post by Gabrielpr »

HC : Ive owned every model recurve limb hunting crossbow that Excalibur has made since they started .... Relayer , Wolverine , Vixen , Exocet , Exomag .

I have take many deer with my Relayer and Wolverine . And the new Vixen with Mag tip limbs / disipator bars all decked out with scope / quiver etc is a sweeter package fast and accurate

I just purchased a Vixen Deluxe with all the goodies ... It is done in Hardwoods camo and man is this a sweet looking crossbow .

It is small compact and easier to cock than my Exomags . It is more than enough crossbow to take Whitetails and similar critters . And it is scary accurate just ask any of the Vixen owners on this forum

Truth be told .... IMHO ... if Bill T. had have named this particular model the T - Rex or the Terminator he wouldnt have sold as many Exocets , and Exomags .

From my experience most guys I know myself included ... either felt a need for speed , or were testosterone driven and had p# envy when one of their buds bought an Exocet or Exomag.

The Vixen is as fast as The older Exocets use to be and IMHO its real pretty now in the Deluxe Model . But beauty is in the eye of the beholder

My wife asked me many times ... if you have taken lots of deer with your Relayer , then why do you need a Wolverine or an Exocet , or an Exomag ? she said if Excalibur came out with a new model and called it a Magnum Exomag ... I would probably rush out and buy it I said , whats your point ....

I plan to carry my Vixen later in the season when it gets very cold since IMHO it will be easier to handle than my Exomag for vertically challenged guys like me .

BTW does anyone know how you go about leagally changing the name of your crossbow ? The Terminator sounds quite catchy now that I think of it

MY 0.02
[url=http://tvoydosug.com/fashion/russian-beautiful-women.html]russian beautiful women[/url]
GunsiteScout

Post by GunsiteScout »

How about the Exterminator instead....
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Well, I have to chime in here, 8)
If I was to walk up on a 300 lb. man in the woods,
WEARING PINK :shock:
I would have to do some fast back tracking, :o
and I thought I have seen everything in the woods, :mrgreen: