Help!! im loosing my mind!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Re: Help!! im loosing my mind!!!

Post by catcher »

I used to have that problem as well . Well maybe not so bad. But my problem was I was concentrating on looking for the arrow after the shot I would pull the shot everytime. I was trying so hard to lift my head away as I pulled the trigger to see the arrow fly and hit that I was pulling the shot. Now I have to really concentrate on watching the arrow through the scope. And I have not had that problem since.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

only time i can see my arrows in flight through the scope is when i'm shooting at 50 yds, it is only the last 10 yds i see it too :wink: ....any other range i can't see it no matter how hard i focus on the arow.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Well, i do look for my bolt trajectory,so maybe that may explain it. If my crossbow and all my hardware is tested.The only variable is me. dont know what im doing wrong. I hit my mark all the time on my decoy.
One more question for you guys:
I have my exomax and scope sighted for dead on at 30yrd. not 20. i do take farther shots so i figure dead centre crosshairs at 30yrd,next is 40 ,50 and 60yds.
What u guys think???
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

if that is your comfort range by all means go for it....i have mine set at 50 yds and won't shoot at a deer that is not totaly calm and no idea i'm there at 50 yds........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Sixty yards? uummm No comment! we don't need more fighting around here!
Last edited by wheelie on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

zero you bow for 20, 30, 40, and 50. I shoot 60 for fun but Im not shooting a deer that far. Its just to much that can go wrong. Since you shoot alot, do you arrows hit high at 20 or even lower yardage? Its a bow so site her in at 20.

next...Shooting at a decoy and a real deer, not to mentiona good buck are 2 totally different things. The fake deer doesnt move, even after the 102040505 shots you have taken. It stands there and you see it everyday. The real deer gets your blood and nerves racing. You try to look around the scope after the shot. You pull the trigger slightly harder than before since you arent relaxed which causes the shot to pull right if you are right handed. If you dont have a rest, this gets even worse. Its very easy to miss a deer from 6 yards out to 25 yards. Trust me.. ive done it since I rushed everything. If you cant find the arrows you more than likely shot way over him or way under him.

if you bow is dead on at home, then its just your nerves in the field. I missed my first 5 deer with my compound. Ive missed 2-3 with the crossbow by rushing shots. Some where 20 yards and some were 35 yards.

take deep breathe... relax and slow things down. You have all the time in the world usually even though it doesnt seem like it. 8)
peter p

Post by peter p »

maximus wrote:I have my exomax and scope sighted for dead on at 30yrd. not 20. i do take farther shots so i figure dead centre crosshairs at 30yrd,next is 40 ,50 and 60yds.
What u guys think???
I think that's your problem right there.
You should be sighted in at 20, 30 40, 50 but keep your shots within 30 yards or your asking for trouble.
A lot of people think, just because they have an exomax they can shoot deer at 60 yards...not true.
The exomax just shoots a little flatter but doesn't mean it shoots farther.

Also keep your shots low.
Always try to aim for the top of the deers heart.
A deer will usually drop at the sound of the shot and the arrow will go high through both lungs.
If it doesn't drop then you have one of the deadliest shots you can make on a deer....blow the top of the heart out and you will probably get both lungs too.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

As with any equipment . . .I only suggest using it the way it was built to be used.

However, in this case, I believe the scope will work. But, I am not sure if the yardages will remain at 10 yard increments, especially at 60.

What I can tell you, it's very risky to be taking 60 yard hunting shots. It's gambling . . .some people like to gamble. It's perfectly legal. I'm strongly against it for myself because I have tested them in the field and know the results. Lost arrows, lost deer, lost time . . . . . .not worth it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
maximus

Post by maximus »

Well boy(and girls)..............got the monkey off my back!!!
Took down a little buck tonite at 37 yards. both lungs and heart. He went 10 yards and dropped!!!!
Ahhhh,life is good again!!
Thanks for the replies guys. kept my head down,not looking for the bolt. arrow went where i was aiming ,and slightly high. my tree stand is only 15ft high. gonna play around with scope. Maybe re set it at 20,30 40 50 instead.
MAXIMUS
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations max, You have any pics?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats!! Glad to hear of your success after all the effort you took to get things right.

Did you use the Stricknines? I use them and love them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen