07 & newer models

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

07 & newer models

Post by vixenmaster »

They have the new type of rail, inside is where its changed. I went to swap in a new rail to my old vixen & the trigger assembly wouldn't cock using rope cocker nor would the trigger assembly from vixen installed into the 07 rail cock or funtion! :( End of the trail on swapping out parts, only o6 & older i reckon still will work
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Re: 07 & newer models

Post by wabi »

I think they changed the width of the rail when they went to the new riser that pitches the limbs forward. Not sure if it's wider or narrower, though.

I know there was a discussion (when the new models came out) of how it was somewhere between difficult and impossible to just change the riser to convert the old models to new. I believe it was possible with some machining (or a lot of work with a file), but the basic idea was if you own an old model (Vixen for example) and want a new model (Phoenix in the case of the Vixen), you'd be a lot better off just to buy a new bow than to try to convert the old one.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I had both the 05 phoenix & E'cet 200 they interchange every part with the cast risered vixen. The 07 models have changed the rails on the inside structure & no longer let the parts change. Even the machined risered models don't interchange. Ah such is life just when things were all good they up & change stuff, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It's a business strategy called "planned obsolescence" and is to be expected. It's just that sometimes it's not economically feasible for a company to implement it. However, if and when the time comes that it is feasible, it will be implemented.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Don't accuse us of a "planned obsolescence" way of doing business! When we see a way to improve our products in even a small way, we immediately put it into production. Sometimes this way of accumulating changes will make swapping parts with previous crossbow a difficult proposition, but it's not our priority to make the odd person who wants to swap parts out happy. Our #1 priority is to make all of our customers happy!
Trust me, this sort of thing makes our job more difficult because of warranty issues with the different generations and the need to keep parts on hand for every generation. Trust us, it is not in our best interest to improve our products, it's in yours.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

well said bill :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Bill, you don't have to be so defensive. First of all I wasn't accusing Excalibur Crossbows of anything. Instead I was stating known business practices in the marketplace.

Besides, "Planned obsolescence" isn't always negative and undesirable. I suppose I should elaborate.

True, some companies make wholesale changes to their products, thus insinuating that their last year products are not up to date or as good as their latest "New and Improved" products, in hopes of sustaining and increasing sales. Done in that way, I would have to agree, it is undesirable.

However, if done with good intentions, "planned obsolescence" can be a positive business practice. From my prospective, it's the pro-active method any good company uses to assure that they grow and improve their products. By planning ahead, seeking and implementing improvements, it inevitable that a company's products are going to change, usually for the better. As result, usually their previous products become obsolete and fade into history.

Fortunately, with Excalibur Crossbow, you haven't made wholesale changes. Instead you've tweaked and improved your products on a continuous basis. As such, your previous ones are far from obsolete. Evidence of that is in the fact that many of your earlier models are in use, still going strong and have maintained their value. That's something to be proud of.

On the other hand, had they been obsolete, there wouldn't be the opportunity of trying to swap out parts. Perhaps you shouldn't have made such a good product. :wink: :P

In response to the following statements:
Bill T. wrote:Trust me, this sort of thing makes our job more difficult because of warranty issues with the different generations and the need to keep parts on hand for every generation.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with that statement. That's why I said sometimes it's not economically feasible.
Bill T. wrote: Trust us, it is not in our best interest to improve our products, it's in yours.
I only half agree; it's not only in the customer's interest, but also in any company that wishes to thrive in a competitive marketplace. It's because you have improved your products, that you were able to grow your business to the extent that attracted American investors. For that I congratulate you.

Keep up the good work.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

When Bill stated about having to keep parts on hand for warranty . He is not kidding , it is a nightmare the different parts I have on hand to repair bows .
But today I felt like a doctor whom had a patient pass away on the table . :(
I actually did not have a part no more to fix a 15 year old plus bow today . The individual damaged his bow beyond repair by me . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Hi Kev.
I expect that we'll find a way to help this guy out and make him happy. If he's not fussy there's always a way to get a bow up and running again!
As far as Comfybear is concerned, you are right, I don't need to get so defensive and I apologise if I seemed harsh in my response, but please understand that Excalibur has been and continues to be an extension of Kath and my personalities, and I guess we tend to take stuff pretty personally in response to comments about our business practices. I realize that by obsoleting product it tends to drive sales up but it also inconveniences a lot of our customers and dealers, so don't count on seeing radical change unless it dramatically improves performance in our crossbows.