Looking for a tree stand harness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BravoKilo

Looking for a tree stand harness

Post by BravoKilo »

Have been using a cheapo harness that a friend gave me... and while it works, it leaves a lot to be desired in both form and function. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on what to look for?

Have been looking at the HSS harnesses and was wondering if there is a huge difference between the different models (Treestalker through Pro) aside from a few extra pockets and the like? Anything that would make the extra $50 in pricetag worthwhile?

Thanks!
bigbuckonly1

Re: Looking for a tree stand harness

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Hard to beat hunter safety system.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

bigbuckonly1 wrote:Hard to beat hunter safety system.
Just because a harness keeps you from falling to the ground, doesn't mean you still won't die if you fall from your treestand. Suspension trauma can kill you nearly as quick as hitting the ground.

If you're serious about a treestand harness, take a look at this one.

Rescue One CDS
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have the HSS Treestalker and really like it. I'm a pretty big fella and it easily adjusts to fit over light clothing as well as bulky winter clothes. It's very comfortable to wear both in the tree and while walking to and from my stand. It came with the strap for fastening it to the tree as well as a drag harness that doubles as a suspension trauma relief strap. Myself personally I didn't see the need to spend the extra for the pro model. Hope that helps you some.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

OkXbowHunter wrote:
bigbuckonly1 wrote:Hard to beat hunter safety system.
Just because a harness keeps you from falling to the ground, doesn't mean you still won't die if you fall from your treestand. Suspension trauma can kill you nearly as quick as hitting the ground.

If you're serious about a treestand harness, take a look at this one.

Rescue One CDS
Very Slick
Tenpoint Matrix
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I bought the HSS bowhunters vest and 30' lifeline.I hunt 22' up and needed a good saftey rig.I'm very happy with it.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Ditto's on the Hunter Safety System products...my son and I have the Pro Series and my youngest has the Lil' Treestalker... I am very, very pleased with their products...the LifeLine, Quick Disconnect Treestrap, Lineman's Climbing Belt. Everything is top-notch. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to purchase a system!
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
BravoKilo

Post by BravoKilo »

Looks like Cabela's has a $20 off coupon on all orders over $120 good through tonight. The Pro series is a bit more than I wanted though the reversible vest should fit the bill nicely... also does away with needing a separate vest for firearm season. Includes the deer drag/suspension relief strap and lineman's belt for $117 after tax (w/ coupon). Off to Cabela's I go... :D

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

The Rescue 1 CDS is indeed very slick. I can really see the advantage to that one especially with a climbing stand. I was wondering though why the guy in the video didn't simply get back to his climbing stick to get back to the stand? Having yet to fall from any stand, perhaps this would be easier said than done though?
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
BravoKilo

Post by BravoKilo »

OMC-MOOSE wrote:I was wondering though why the guy in the video didn't simply get back to his climbing stick to get back to the stand?
My thoughts exactly. The majority (>95%) of the stands I hunt have climbing sticks, and I figure that in a fall I could manage my way back to the sticks and problem solved. Carry a couple screw-in steps and you should be able to get out of any situation. I see the merit in using one for climbing or ladder stands where you don't have easy access to climb back up -- but for my needs, I like the relative simplicity of the HSS system, not to mention it's rather lightweight (the biners on the linemen's belt adds a noticeable amount though -- will just leave it at home or in my pack until needed)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I have the pro but if I did it over I would probably get the treestalker since its smaller and lighter. The pro is nice, but wirth any harness you have the weight. I wore mine when I hunted hang on stands. But sad to say ive mainly gone to 15ft ladder stands with shooting rails now so I dont use it now. Its a good peice of mind for hang on and climbers though just in case something fails.

the treestalker is also cheaper in price..

both work so maybe try one of each on
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

crazyfarmer wrote:I have the pro but if I did it over I would probably get the treestalker since its smaller and lighter.
I agree. I have the HSS Pro and was surprised how heavy it is. I'm also very disappointed with all of the non-hunter friendly advertising colors they have all over it. My tree strap has a HUGE blaze orange safety label on it. It has to be about 2.5"x6" and you can't really hide it. I took a sharp blade to it to remove it. There is also the nice thick white lettering on the tree strap "Attach Harness Here". Could that not be painted on in grey/brown/tan/green? I really like the extremely frequent HSS Pro Series florescent yellow stitched labels all over the place. Oh, and the seat belt style leg clips are great. But do you really have to put a "PRESS" label on the front of them that couldn't possibly be more shiny? At least its black (with white letters), but its a highly gloss black.

Come on! If this is a "Hunter" safety system, why not color it for hunters. It would like it a lot more if the omitted the last 10 minutes of the production cycle and left off all of the colorful advertising and pointless labels.

Ok, off my soap box. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: