I did it!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

End of the road

I did it!

Post by End of the road »

I got my Exocet last spring and this is my first hunting season. After a pretty spectacular miss on a nice buck a couple weeks ago where I misjudged the distance and probably just shaved its chest, I got another opportunity a couple days ago and got my first buck ever.

I hunt on my own small piece of land and am able to go out almost every morning and put in a couple hours before I have to get on with the day. I usually go and sit behind a large rock that overlooks a deer trail and wait for whatever comes by. That was where I had my miss a bit ago and I have been hoping to see that guy again.

When I came in that morning I spooked the doe that likes to hang out in that area and a little spike buck that was with her. After sitting for about 90 minutes with no movement on the trail I decided to pack it in for the morning as I had work to do and it was getting a bit late.

Just after I left my spot I heard a movement in the bush and saw the doe again. The little buck was behind her coming back up the trail. I had no place nearby for cover so just crouched down and kept still. He must have seen or smelled me as he changed his course as he got close and went out into the open about 15 yards from me. I could not get a shot because of the trees and branches between us. I moved slowly to an opening and raised my bow. Even though he was a little guy, he would be my first ever. Buck fever set in and I had to make a real effort to control my breathing and concentration. I took my time and estimated the distance again. He turned a bit away from me and stopped. I squeezed the trigger and the arrow flew.

He didn’t jump or run off. He just wandered for about 25 yards and then fell over. I watched him for about 15 minutes and he was still. I cocked my bow, put in another arrow and slowly worked my way toward him. I saw my arrow in the dirt just a few yards from the buck who was lying in a pool of blood. I poked him with my boot and heard air rush out of the hole in his side. The arrow had hit just behind the front leg and maybe a bit higher than perfect but certainly hit the lungs and the G5 Montec did its job. He wasn’t as big as the one I missed earlier but he was legal and he was my first.

I am often amazed at the power in my Exocet 200. I was shooting a Firebolt tipped with a 125 grain Montec off the factory Dacron string. The arrow entered the buck, sliced through the lungs and the top of the heart, hit and shattered the rib on the opposite side hard enough to bend the tip of the broadhead, exited the deer and still flew just about as far as the deer went before he dropped.

Chuck Gravel

Re: I did it!

Post by Chuck Gravel »

congrats on the deer
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
FJB

Post by FJB »

Congrats to you first one! Cheers to you. :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Awesome story about your hunt!!
Congratulations on your first buck. Way to go!! :D
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer nice Blacktail, i just love them ! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
catcher

Post by catcher »

Very nice :) you are a lucky man to able to hunt those Blacktails. I have never seen one posted here before congrats.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Buck fever set in and I had to make a real effort to control my breathing and concentration.
I figure whenever that quits happening to me they'll be lowering me into a hole and throwing dirt over me. :lol:
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Good job CONGRATS!! :D What else do you hunt out there with the Exocet?
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Awesome! You look like you are holding back a big smile.. Congratulations!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Great job I would take a deer that size over a big nasty smelling buck any day :D
Tenpoint Matrix
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Congrats on your 1st buck. He'll be good eats. :D

Reminds me of my 1st buck years back. I was so excited I could barely pull back on my compound bow. :lol:
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Pydpiper wrote:Awesome! You look like you are holding back a big smile.. Congratulations!
My guess is that he was dancing all over that clearing right before the picture was snapped. :lol:
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I have to admit there was big grin inside there (and still is every time I think about it) and yes, I did a little happy dance just before the photo was taken. I was feeling pretty good too because he dropped only about 25 yards from where I could get my tractor to and recovery was going to be easy.

Nobody was with me so I had to balance the camera on a rock and use the self timer. This was about the 6th photo I did. Others were tilted or cut out my head. This one turned out quite nicely.

I live on an island between Vancouver and Victoria and all we have here are the black tails and the island deer are small. After boning him out all we got was about 30 pounds so I am a bit envious of all the photos of the big guys posted here. I do have more tags though and I’ve got the fever.

We had the first meal out of him last night. He was pre-rut, tender and sweet. Much better than meat I have had from the bigger guys.

MadMax, while there are reports of a couple bears and a cougar or two in the more remote areas of the island I have only gotten a rabbit before using a judo point. We also have grouse and quail but my wife doesn’t want me to go after the birds.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats! That's a good looking buck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your deer. The first one is the hardest!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting