3 dot red dot scopes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sits in trees

3 dot red dot scopes?

Post by sits in trees »

hey guy's when sighting in a 3 dot red dot do you center the top dot in the scope for say your 20 yd distance. and then do you keep the top dot centered and just lift to the middle dot for your 30 yd shot?
in other words when you look thru the scope you can position any one of the 3 dots in the center of the lens by the way you look thru the scope. do you place the top dot in the center(by your physical positioning when you hold for sighting) or say the center dot instead?
MADMAX2

Re: 3 dot red dot scopes?

Post by MADMAX2 »

I can change my red dot recticle to crosshair and I set the center of the crosshair at 30yds the top is 20yds and the bottom 40yds not sure about the three dot system.
The best things in life are not things!!
spike

Post by spike »

I have used a tru glo 3 dot. It is the middle dot which can be adjusted - the top and bottom dots are fixed. At 20 yards for the middle dot, I found that the top was approximately at 10 yds and the bottom approximately at 30 yds - not exactly in either case but close enough.

Spike
ROGER
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Since most red dots are non magnifying, they are largely unaffected by parallax like scopes, where the eye/reticule alignment can influence point of impact at longer distances.
I use several on handguns, have used them on bows, and just position whichever dot I'm using close to the center of the sigh picture and shoot. One reflex sight I use doesn't have to be even close to center and still hits on at bow ranges. The reticule in mine is a single unit, so all three move at once. I used to sight in the top for 20 and find out where the others hit.
That said I now use scopes on all my bows because of the magnification they provide..
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rstewart

Post by rstewart »

I shoot the Tru Glo 3 dot sight .sighted the top dot at 20yd middle dot is 15yds difference and bottom dot is additional 10yd . I E Top dot 20yd middle 35yd bottom 45yd . zeroed at 20 and tested at 35 ad 45 using fire bolt and 100gr tip .hit center of target at each distance. found out not to worry about trying to center dots. just look through the scope and you eye will center on it on . these are good scopes have killed 3 deer so far with mine.
Good luck with yours.