Pine Bough Trick

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryM

Pine Bough Trick

Post by GaryM »

A friend of mine saw a hunting show filmed in Canada. The hunters cut pine boughs and stuck them in the ground in front of their blinds/stands. Supposedly, bucks can't resist rubbing the branches and will be drawn in. Has anyone ever heard of this? Anyone tried it? No pine trees here (except in people's yards) so I'm wondering if this is true or bogus TV stuff.
Galgo

Re: Pine Bough Trick

Post by Galgo »

Hadn't heard that but I have had a couple bows marking 40 and 50 yards in front of my blind. Replaced them with pegs once the local elections were done. DIdn't see any activity at the bows in two weeks.

F
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I have about 4 acres of pine on 40 acres. Most of the 40 is wooded. They seem to resist our pines all the time. I've even cut pine boughs and fastened them onto a ladder stand. They work good for hiding the stand but the deer pay no attention to it at all. I've hunted other areas with lots of pine and some with very little pine. Sometimes bucks do rub on the pines but most often rub on something else.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

At my place bucks have been rubbing their velvet on anything small enough to get between the tines. This year they used sapling alders and willows and about 4 pieces of steel rebar I had hammered into the ground for a project I was doing. Bent all four pieces of rebar over about 45 degrees.

With everything else available to them it is hard to believe that a few pine boughs placed near a blind would have any special draw.