Boltcutter 150gr., let me down :(

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TakeTwo

Boltcutter 150gr., let me down :(

Post by TakeTwo »

Oct, 24, 2010.

Hey Check this out. SO, I was going hunting this morning and the rain had poured all night. I shut off the alarm clock and rolled over for a sleep in Sunday. Something woke me up at a quarter to Seven. The rain was still falling and I was awake. The Hunt is on.. One coffee and a traveler and I am on the way to the woods.

7:45, I get out of the truck, load up the bow and Yesterday I picked up some sent so I decide to put a bit out last night. On the way in I touch up the sent bombs and go sit down, I do one buck call and a few doe bleets. Time is 8:05, look to my left, Doe standing looking in my direction but can't pick me out. She is 25 Yards from me Broadside and moving slowly. She moves directly into my shooting lane and stops. I can't believe it! I pull up and the f----00000 Rain caps on the scope are fogged. crap, I reach up and remove them, set them in me bag and pull up again. The doe is still standing there, I have about a 10 meter shooting lane if you can remember the one going directly to my left up to the pine tree. I aim, pull and thud.. What a hard hit, I drove the arrow right in her.. so I first thought. She turns and starts off to the south up the hill and I can see the arrow sticking out of her.. Motor room and It was a great placement. I thought I would give her about an hour.

Oh ya, As she is running up the hill, My 12 point is on her tail ;( He didn't know where the shot came from and I think he didn't even know what happened. He was just following the doe. But he did have his flag up.. so I will find out later..

Anyway, Time is up! I get everything together and start looking. By this time the rain is just pouring down and I was concerned about a blood trail. This much rain and I wont have a chance to track her to her bed. I luck out and find their tracks in the sand up over the hill. I start a sweep of the area and I find my arrow. And that is all of that story :0

Take a look at this. The arrow got wedged between her ribs. you can see the bend in the blade. I thought I'd buy a new set of Broad heads so I bought some BoltCutters 150 grain and replaced my wasps. What a mistake! I am so disappointed in this product. and they are Excalibur's product.

Shot from the NEW AXIOM 25 Yards. I have photo's.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

:( :(
Missin

Re: Boltcutter 150gr., let me down :(

Post by Missin »

PICS!!!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Yes hello to you to, so nice of you to interduce yourself on your first post after joining 5 minutes earlier!

ok, you had wasps and they got stuck in the ribs from a poor shot and deer ran away. So you bought boltcutters and you are disappointed with them. OK so take them back cause as your story reads you have not used them yet. Besides you hit the ribs so it was a bad shot! First post you come here. and you just joined the forum in the past couple hours. So my question is What do you need help with? Poor shooting? We can help you get better with that! Just practise! Besides your nick reminds me of one that did the same thing a week ago that we got rid of. Is this round 2?
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

sounds to me more like you hit the sholder bone by the thud .heck you put a butter knive thru the ribs your deer will be there DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

Had Wasps and changed to Boltcutter 150's when I added Luminoc, needed more weight. Two deer taken at 27 and 30 yds and both times bolts passed through. No problems here
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum. :)

That's peculiar to say the least as the boltcutters should go through the ribs without any trouble at all??
Even if the blade bent or broke I would still think it should get through the ribs.
Any chance the shot was a partial dry fire?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Axiom is a 175 lb bow find it hard to believe it would not penetrate the ribs.
Some other factor in there ie. tree branch or as mentioned arrow not fully seated and partial dry fire.
I put an arrow thru a shed wall and 1" board with field tip much harder than ribs with a 175 lb Excal
Tenpoint Matrix
wabi

Post by wabi »

Has anyone had this happen to them?
Not with a boltcutter, but it happened to me with a mechanical several years ago.
I shot, the deer ran off, and it looked like most of the arrow was sticking out of it's side.

In actuality the broadhead opened in flight, flew way off course, and hit the heavy bone(s) in the shoulder. As the deer whirled & ran it could have been easily mistaken for a hit in the ribs if I hadn't watched it hit the shoulder through the scope. :wink:

I've never failed to get a complete pass-through with any broadhead shot from my my 175# Excalibur on a shot placed in the ribs.

BTW- that deer was seen a couple days later by another hunter on the same farm. limping a bit, but otherwise fine.
wabi
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Boltcutters have never let me down with two deer taken so far with them. One was a complete passthrough on a broadside
shot. (picture available on the site) The other was my patented MNR shot (Manitoulin Rectal Shot) This is the opposite of a Texas
Heart shot. I know two other excalibur crossbow hunters who have taken two deer each with them last year. All were complete
pass throughs.

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

BH blades may break get chipped or edge flat as a butter knife but by God it will go throught a deer rib cage. Specially with 150 lb & up CB's. Reckon leg bone Or shoulder blade knuckle or leg knuckle was hit.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

We all have or will have failed at retrieving a animal. The funny this is we always put the blame on the broadhead. You can't put the blame on the head unless you have the deer and the head in question. A field tip alone through the ribs will do the job.Lung is lung. It just depends on how much cut and penatration you prefer. You always give up some to gain something else.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Granted, I have only killed 4 deer with my crossbow and Boltcutter broadheads, but they performed perfectly for me.

I won't say this situation couldn't happen, but I have been around message boards for a while and have found that there is usually more to the story than what is posted. :?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

RichJ wrote:We all have or will have failed at retrieving a animal. The funny this is we always put the blame on the broadhead. You can't put the blame on the head unless you have the deer and the head in question. A field tip alone through the ribs will do the job.Lung is lung. It just depends on how much cut and penatration you prefer. You always give up some to gain something else.

10-4 good buddy. :D

I'm amazed at the tall tales that I've heard over the years when all that was really needed was, "I missed".

There are so many tall tales out there, that when I hear a factual story, it's hard to believe.

Flip a coin.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
KBW

Post by KBW »

:shock:
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

I have had a bolt cutter go through a leg bone and split it, Exomag 200/330fps high angle shot shooting downhill.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.