Rookie ground blind humor. Smokepole success (small).

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Rookie ground blind humor. Smokepole success (small).

Post by DuckHunt »

This morning was the Virginia opening day for muzzleloaders and our coolest morning so far. I climbed into an old stand I hadn't hunted this year that has always been good in early November. After daylight, I came to the realization that it isn't November yet. There were still way too many leaves blocking most all of the prime shooting lanes. Oh well. I figured I would sit it out.

I saw the back half of one deer about 40 yards behind me. It was so thick I never got a view of the rest. About 8:30am a pretty little 6 point came walking up a trail and walked past at 25 yards. I thought long and hard, but let him pass. I only have two buck tags left but all the doe tags I want. About 30 minutes later I decided to move to a better location.

I made a very slow still hunting 30 minute move about 100 yards up the hill to a ground blind I set up on Wednesday. It is one of the cheap $59 Comfort Zone Predator ground blinds sold at Dick's Sporting Goods. After climbing in it for the first time Wednesday I noticed that it is definitely only a one man blind. I hunt in mountains, so level ground is almost nonexistent. I was having a heck of a time getting the five gallon bucket swivel seat to sit level. I also noticed that the only place that you aren't too close to a window is if you set up right in the center of the blind. So after kicking some dirt and rocks around I ended up with a firm level seat in the middle of the blind.

So today I step into the blind and take a seat. I lay down my gun and shooting stick and begin to get comfortable. Shuck my fanny pack, HSS vest, gloves and head cover. I peer out each opening and start to adjust them for a decent view. Deer! I see a small deer slipping away about 60 yards away. I really don't have much time. About 10 more yards and it will be out of view. I grab my gun and stick. Its not set to the right height. I then notice that if you sit in the middle of the blind, you are still too close to all of the windows for a CVA Optima Pro with a 29" barrel even with the barrel sticking out the window. I try to make it work. I'm sitting, barely, on the bucket leaning back to make enough room to get lined up on the deer. The deer stops in the final open spot. I mount the smokepole like a contortionist and get the crosshairs behind the shoulder and squeeze off the shot. I'm instantly reminded that 115 grains of BlackHorn 209 with a 250 grain bullet has a recoil you must be prepared to accept. :lol: I wasn't. It could have been a lot worse. I almost flipped over backwards on the bucket. Also, in trying to squeeze into the compact space I was way too close to the scope for the recoil. Fortunately the cheap Tasco 3-9x40 has a rubber guard on the eyepiece. That's probably the only thing that saved bloodshed. :oops: I do have a little bruise and if you look close, you can almost make out the scope ring.

I was in the blind about 3 minutes. I'm sure the deer probably watched me get in the blind. It ended up being a button buck. The poor shooting form also resulted in a poor hit but he only went about 30 yards. I paid again when I dressed it. It was not the most pleasant deer to dress this season. :mrgreen:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
strider23

Re: Rookie ground blind humor. Smokepole success (small).

Post by strider23 »

I love reading these hunting stories but the humorous ones are the best. :lol:

For a moment I thought you were going to say that you were using traditional black powder and that your blind turned into a smoker.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on getting another one of them tick toters, sore scope bruse, :lol:.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

strider23 wrote:I love reading these hunting stories but the humorous ones are the best. :lol:

For a moment I thought you were going to say that you were using traditional black powder and that your blind turned into a smoker.
That's what I was expecting too!

CONGRATS on the doe and thanks for sharing the humour with us. :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Liked your story congratulations
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

congrats nothing wrong with that day of hunting, my doe last week ending after only an hour in the woods :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congrats on the deer! Hunt long enough and everyone has a humorous story or two :wink: And with the shot placement... With my friend this week and his buck he told me over the radio that he did not make a great shot but he dropped it in its tracks. Sounded like a great shot to me :P He hit a little high and forward but again droped it where it stood.
Why ride when you can walk!
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Good Story, and a good eater!! :wink:
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice deer and a comical story to go with it!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads