Repair Unraveled string?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

knobby

Repair Unraveled string?

Post by knobby »

I allowed my dad to use my Exocet 200 last week. While attempting to uncock the bow by hand, the string slipped from his grip and he sort of dry fired it. I guess you could say it was 1/2 a dry fire since he did hang on to it for long enough to slow it down a little before it slipped.

Anyway his mishap broke the serving. While attempting to replace the string with a new Excalibur Flemish string the new string apparently got untwisted enough that it slipped as soon as the stringer was off.

One end is still intact....the other slipped quite a bit but not completely apart.

Can this string be repaired/retwisted? Or am I out the $30 it cost

I studied the end of an old Flemish string trying to understand how it is made but so far it is escaping me. So if anyone can explain it or point me to some detailed instructions I would greatly appreciate it.

thx!
Rob
georgiaboy

Re: Repair Unraveled string?

Post by georgiaboy »

Sorry...can't help you with the in's and out's in the string dept.! But from what I have read in this forum BOO is the guru of all thing's string related! I personally would just replace the string and chalk it up to stuff happen's!! Not worth the risk! Good luck!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Yes a flemish string can have a loop re-twisted.

But....................
It's not easy to get it to look like new. :roll:

This video might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-J-RpbxFo
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Oh? Factory FFF? $30? wow! Call Danny, he made it. [740] 483 2312. Ask him how much he charges for them while you are at it.
"Eze 18:21"
knobby

Post by knobby »

awshucks wrote:Oh? Factory FFF? $30? wow! Call Danny, he made it. [740] 483 2312. Ask him how much he charges for them while you are at it.

ya...I was out of state and needed it asap

I kind of got lucky to even find one without driving all over heck...my cousin took me to a bow shop. The owner said Excalibur strings were not something he normally stocks...but another customer had ordered one and while he was at it he ordered two.

Funny part is the customer who ordered the first string walked in right ahead of me....so the shop owner sold both strings at the same time.

I wasnt exactly happy with the shop though....the guy wanted to charge me $5 to put the string on. He had an indoor range so I asked if I had him put the string on could I shoot 4 or 5 times and then check the brace height. Well he wanted to charge me $5 for 1/2 hour shooting.

So he wanted $30 for the string + $5 to put it on + $5 to shoot the bow a few times

His shop = His rules but it was also my choice to just buy the string because I had to have it and never come back again.

I know he's in business to make money but I woulda thought if I bought a $30 string from him he could of put it on for me sheesh
knobby

Post by knobby »

I received a new string a couple 3-4 days ago from a forum member.... FREE of charge.

Cant beat that with a stick! Got some good peeps hangin around here :D

I wont name names.... But thanks again!

It is refreshing to see a good deed once in awhile :)
DanO

Post by DanO »

That actually happens on this Board more than you would guess. This is a great Board and the members REALLY support each other I've notice. :)
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes the loops can be respliced just takes abit of time & it helps alot if you go to youtube & watch a few videos that are there. I always have 3 strings on hand as a min where ever i travel to hunt away from my place!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

When I was using the FFF, i also used a tip posted here by long forgotten author to carry a spare broke in one in a baggie w/ 'twistie' tie on loops to keep the twists the same, hence no poi shift on replacement.

Worked like a champ as most tips here do. Fwiw.
"Eze 18:21"