Finally a nice one...missed.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Finally a nice one...missed.

Post by DuckHunt »

I've seen deer every time I've been out this season. It has been some kind of year for me. I've seen at least one buck the last ten times I've been out. The only problem is that I haven't seen anything with age. I did see a small buck that may have had 7 or 8 points a few weeks ago, but everything looks like 1 1/2 years old at best. I've seen quite a few 4 and 5 point bucks and even took one 5pt with my Exomax as a meat buck.

I got a brief glimpse of something with more mass a couple weeks ago, but not enough to really know what size he was. He left a nice buck rub about 15 yards from my favorite log last week, so I know he's there. Today I took off early and grabbed the smokepole. As I climbed up the hill and got within 20 yards of the log I heard something start walking quickly from behind it not 40 yards away over the crest of the hill. Then I saw him. He had a distinct limp and appeared to have been hit in the right side behind the shoulder by something already. He had winded me on my approach and was exiting stage right. I couldn't get comfortable shot with him moving but really wanted to try to get lead in him. He finally stopped in a thick area about 100 yards away. With a rest I took what in hindsight was a rushed shot. I didn't see anything move after the shot. Nothing ran off. Nothing moved. I wasn't sure if I dropped him, or if he was still standing there. I reloaded and stood behind a tree for about five minutes. Once I did move, the doe he was tending that had been watching everything from 70 yards to my left exited stage left in a hurry. When I got to within about 10 yards of where I thought he was standing, I jumped him up. I think he had be standing there watching the whole time. He went over a hill so I pursued to the top in hopes of catching another glimpse. It was not meant to be due to the thick brush.

At least I've now seen something with a decent rack. He was no monster, but a very common nice buck for my area. He was probably in the 8 to 10 point range with 14" to 16" spread. Probably a 2 1/2 year old deer, but no more than 3 1/2.

I ended up backing down the hill and setting in my ground blind till dark. I had a fox within 10 feet. Then a four point with a big doe and two yearlings walked within 20 steps. Then right as I was preparing to unzip and exit the blind about 20 minutes after sunset I heard steps about 40 yards in front of me. I saw the gray ghost slipping through the timber from my right to left. He had a big body, but I really couldn't tell anything else about him. Had he stopped in the one path with barely available light, I would have taken a shot. He never stopped. He was on a mission just cruising through.

Now is a great time to be in the woods. The big boys are on the prowl.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: