hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

norwegandeerhunter

hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Post by norwegandeerhunter »

Hi! I bought my first crossbow phoenix last year and did not much shooting before now, It have worked quite fine for me except the 50 yards shoot. It seems that I cant get a steady group with my arrows, I have upload a picture for you to see. I cant get any closer to the middle it seams and the hit is not constant.

I use aramidkv with weight forward fusion vanes and slick trick 100 g. exel string and vari sone.

Is that normale to have some problems on that length or is it just a arrow squaring tool or something I need? If someone could give me a answer on that I sure would appreciate it! :)
Attachments
DSCF0106.JPG
DSCF0106.JPG (102.69 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
vixenmaster

Re: hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Post by vixenmaster »

Whats yer arrow length & total weight ? What weight field pts or BH's & type of BH's. Length of vanes ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
masboy

Post by masboy »

no its not excaliburs shoot real accurate at 50yds. do you use a rope cocker? need to keep string center in middle of rail. try sum differant arrows.try shooting same arrow over and over .see if it hits same spot. do you spin arrow with broadhead on it to check for wobble? how do field points shoot?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not sure if or what you're hunting, but 50 yards is pushing "ethical range" for most game. :wink:

That being said, the accuracy with a broadhead is not nearly as easy to get as it is with field points. A broadhead that is slightly "out of tune" will fly farther off course as distance increases. With a field point a 1" group at 25 yards should give you a 2" group at 50. With a broadhead a 1" group at 25 yards could easily turn into a 10" group at 50, as the broadhead steers the arrow off course.

I wouldn't begin to guess what your problem is, but I'd suggest that the problem may take a lot of experimenting to solve.

A few thing to try might be:
* mechanical broadhead (much more like a field point in flight)
* heavier broadhead
* different brand of broadhead
* adding weight to the front of the arrow (weights installed in the insert or heavier insert)
* bigger fletching (even switching to 5" high profile feathers would be a possibility)
* square the nock and carefully "spin test" each arrow

I'm sure other suggestions will be added.
Good luck in solving the problem!
wabi
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Stay under 50 yards and you will be fine. :) 50 yards is pushing it a little. :wink:
I am a hunter and proud of it.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

MATE WHATS IT SHOOTING LIKE AT 20-30 & 40 YARDS BECAUSE MINES THE SAME THE PHOENIX THAT IS L'M PUTTING IT DOWN TO HUMAN ERROR BECAUSE MINE AT 20-30 & 40 YARDS IS PRETTY DAM GOOD BUT A LITTLE HIGH AT 50. REGARDS FRANK
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Are you shooting from a rest or free hand?
The best things in life are not things!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It could be so many different things . . .if somebody guesses right from the forum, it's sheer luck.

I would also be inclined to say it's human error. Something in your shooting style/rest/aim point/release/follow through . . .something. I only say that because you stated that your shorter shots are good.

Then we get to your definition of good. Is that within the "pie pan" or 4" groups or 2" groups . . .My idea of good is 1/2" groups at 20 yards, 1" groups at 30 yards and 2" groups at 40 and 50 yards.

If you are not getting 1/2" groups or better at 20 yards, then you will not get good groups at 50 yards. So, perfect the short shot, then move on out.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

50 yards is to far for ethical crossbow hunting unless someone shoots and practices everyday and fine tunes equipment over & over, 50 just to far for most hunters.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bigbuckonly1 wrote:50 yards is to far for ethical crossbow hunting unless someone shoots and practices everyday and fine tunes equipment over & over, 50 just to far for most hunters.
I can agree with your statement(except the unless part). A good bowhunter can get closer than 50. If you have to take a 50 yard shot to get within range, then you need to tune your hunting skills.

However, it's not unreasonable to expect your hunting set-up to be accurate out to fifty yards. If it's accurate out to 50, then it's dead deer on at 30. That's why MOST hunters want tight groups at fifty.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
norwegandeerhunter

I tried again today with field points and a fast flight string, I`am beginning to get a little tired of this now this has not happened not just today, I will try to explain. I did eight shoots and used a rope cocker like I usual do, my first first shoot went a four inches to the right. I turned the sight to clicks to the middle and fired again, now the same as the first shoot :shock: crap I dont know why, I used my bed pillow as support both times the only thing I did was to hold a little harder when I squeezed the trigger the second shoot.
The next two shoots right in the middle, went up two 40 yards first two shoots right in the middle. My last shoot tree-four inches to the right :oops:

The only thing was different from yesterday was field points and better string and a little wind.
Last edited by norwegandeerhunter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

If you are shooting with a scope are the mounting screws tight?
The best things in life are not things!!
norwegandeerhunter

MADMAX2 wrote:If you are shooting with a scope are the mounting screws tight?

Yepp they are tight!
secret

Post by secret »

Maybee you should try different shafts? just to see if its the bow or your shafts! Im betting on the shafts or just winddrift!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
norwegandeerhunter

My arrows is 50mm/19 inch. long. field points 8 gram. I have tried with field point with less weight and the same there. Vanes 5mm/2 inch long.