broadhead tuning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

broadhead tuning

Post by strum »

I wanted to see how yall do your tuning just to see if i can learn some tricks,,
I have been waiting on a broadhead order that got lost aparently in the mail from Dan miller (not his fault)
so all i have is some 100gr thunder heads that i couldnt get to fly wellfor me..
Today i decided to make another go at it because i need to hunt and realy dont want be bound to just my rifle..(here in Ga. its gun season but you can still hunt with a bow and take does)
so i started with one arrow and it shot awful ..so i would turn the collar abit and shoot it a few times ..and then amazingly it started hiting the same spot!!
so after ajusting the scope ..i did the same with 2 more and now i have 3 bolts i feel very good about in the 20yard range..
I took all i have read to heart and thats why from guys like vixenmaster and wabi and summner are a big help ..good advice..
what i want to know is what is the best way to spin an arrow ?..i cant see paying 40bucks for a spinner if i can make one or do it some other way ,,
what i do now is hold it in my palm and blow on the vanes,,works pretty good but i hypervenalate,,somtimes.. :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Re: broadhead tuning

Post by vixenmaster »

I spin them by hand with pt in my palm to see if'en they wobble. Awshucks has a neat home made spinner take 4 marbles glue them in sets of 2 touching. Lay arrow in v of marbles and roll or spin. Watch pt to see if'en its wobblin or not
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Get a spinner or make one. It's worth the money. One other thing you can look for with a spinner, stop the arrow each time a vane is on top to see if it will stay on top or if it falls. Too much glue on one side can alter the flight characteristics of an arrow. You want balance as well as no wobble.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

I like the marble spinner idea..i dont think it will do the balance test that sumner
talked about ,,i have some of those little bearings that are on top of router bits ,,thought ill try making a spinner using them..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i made one with four bearing some alum L channel and a pine board i had around the house....

works great at letting the slightest bend in the arrow shaft show up or any wobble in the BH insert area as well :wink: ....the next add on will be another piece of alum L channel made into a balance beam for arrows over the cardboard one i use now.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice home made spinner bob...great idea.
Nice crawler in the background as well...very trick indeed. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
strum

Post by strum »

that looks great bob axcatly what i had in mind
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

His shop is way to clean!!

Never trust 'em!!

Nice spinner though.

Is there a site or resoucre for arrow making for the uninformed?
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Lakelover wrote:His shop is way to clean!!

Never trust 'em!!

Nice spinner though.

Is there a site or resoucre for arrow making for the uninformed?
X2! I'm always leary of a guy with an organized shop! :shock: :D

But hey Bob, I like that soft side tackle box below your bench. I have one just like that. I use it to keep all my Crappie jigs and related tackle in!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4