Is it just me?Are the Vixens Winning, So far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Migabby

Is it just me?Are the Vixens Winning, So far?

Post by Migabby »

Might be a bit prejudice, because I own one also. But it seems to me That the Vixens are taking a lot more Deer then anything else, What do you see?

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
one shot scott

Re: Is it just me?Are the Vixens Winning, So far?

Post by one shot scott »

Proof that a vixen is all one needs to take down a deer. I think vixen owners are deer whisperers as well which helps :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes Hunters using Vixen's kill more deer than the other models. Just ask me i will tell you so, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I may be completely off on my perspective, but I think the Vixen has a huge advantage.
I use a Phoenix now, but the one I have was one of the first made and is nothing more than a new style riser on a Vixen frame, so I approach deer hunting as if I were still using my old Vixen. :lol:

As for the advantage(s):
It's a big mental advantage (at least for me). I know I have to get close to a deer to avoid the possibility of it jumping the string. I set my personal maximum shot distance at 30 yards, but I keep almost all my shots under 20. That close it's hard to miss the aiming point by much, and if you know deer anatomy and where to aim that usually means a good hit and a short blood trail. I don't worry about the deer that don't come that close, I worry about making a perfect hit on those that do!

The lighter bows are easier on strings and easier to cock & shoot, so that means target practice is less tiring and more practice will probably be the result - and that is always good. :D

The lower velocity can mean better accuracy with a wider selection of broadheads.
Not trying to start an argument, but it's a fact that the faster the arrow travels the more the problems with broadhead flight can escalate. This has lead to new designs of fixed blade broadheads (shorter profile) which allows more possibilities, but the lower the arrow velocity the easier it is to get by with a less than perfect combination of arrow and broadhead. I'm not saying the faster bows don't perform as well or they can't be as accurate, but I will say that in my personal experience I did get better performance from a wider selection of broadheads from my old Vixen shooting them at 260fps, than from my old Exocet at 300fps. I also ran into less problems with mechanicals from the lower draw weight and velocity. Opening in flight (or perhaps more correctly - opening on launch) is much more of a possibility with the heavier bows.

Not everyone has the mindset to settle for less. I think a lot of those people who do have the mental attitude to accept the limitations the Vixen imposes are also a bit more "laid back" in their approach to deer hunting.
I know if I have a nice buck at 40 yards and have to let it walk I just shrug it off and figure there will be another day. :roll:
I spend a lot of time hunting, and I pass on a lot of deer. I hunt first for the time outdoors and the relaxation it provides for me, secondly for the meat it provides for me and my family, and last for the trophy. I don't have any professional taxidermy mounts except for a groundhog that was a very unusual specimen, and all my deer antlers are simply on wooden bases and attached to the wall for utilitarian purposes - they all have outdoor gear hanging on them. :lol:

If I don't get that monster 10 point buck at 40 yards, the fat doe at 15 yards is a fine consolation prize for me. Still unable to tell the difference in buck summer sausage and doe summer sausage. :lol:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I let a nice 8 pt go this morning est. 21 yds had my xhairs on him the whole time he rubbed a saplin. My mrs said don't kill any deer this morning cause the Doe i got yesterday.
Half Bubble Off BD360

bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

when most people have a vixen/pheonix they are going to take more deer then other excal models due to the numbers of them....isn't the vixen/phoenix a girls bow with the lighter draw weight :roll: :lol: ....my 200# exocet is not that hard to draw all day long, heck i put over 200 arrows down range one day and was ready for more :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds to me like there's another stat that sumner needs to keep track of!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

bob1961 wrote:when most people have a vixen/pheonix they are going to take more deer then other excal models due to the numbers of them....isn't the vixen/phoenix a girls bow with the lighter draw weight :roll: :lol: ....my 200# exocet is not that hard to draw all day long, heck i put over 200 arrows down range one day and was ready for more :wink: .........bob

Bob,
We aren't all created equally when it comes to physical stature. I found the Exocet's added draw length is just too much for me. If I could get a 225# Vixen I could cock it by hand, but I run out of reach with anything more than the Phoenix.

I will admit I am 5-6" shorter than the doctor's height/weight chart says I should be, though.
wabi
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

planter wrote:Maybe the folks who shoot Vixens are just better hunters.... :? Nah :wink:
Planter,
I think you are the winner!! with the correct answer!!! :wink: :wink: :lol:
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Not trying to take anything away from the vixen crowd...cause yall are certainally given the critters hell from what I'm reading!
But IMO most of the shooter's of the 150's are of the older I.e. Smarter crowd who are either retired or semi-retired! More time in woods equals more dead critter's!! :lol:
I know it's a poor excuse...but somebody's gotta defend the rest of us!!!!
Good hunting!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Older yes, smarter not really, but abit wiser lots of time possibly. I have to be back at the cabin by 10am by my mrs. orders. I haven't gotten to hunt all day nor half a day or the 1st afternoon/evening. Maybe next yr. i will have our place fixed abit more so i can hunt til noon on some days, heck i would love to hunt when i wanted not when the mrs says i can.
Half Bubble Off BD360

secret

Post by secret »

When did this contest start? how far behind is everyone else?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

secret wrote:When did this contest start? how far behind is everyone else?

I don't know when it started...but i aint to far behind! I got three dead critter's on the ground with my Ibex.
I'm just scared to rattle the vixen's cage to hard...might be eaten crow at the end of the season and washin it down with humility!! :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"