Loose bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Missin

Loose bolts

Post by Missin »

What a bummer, i lost 2 goats today.

Shot a nanny for meat mainly because she winded me and then wouldnt get out of my way or leave me alone. Shot her with a rage 2 blade (definitely not the preferred choice). Was abit high up the body, between the neck and shoulder blade i think. Anyway i watched the arrow sail into her. first time ever into only went about 10inches in and she ran off. I didnt know what the hell happened to have that happen but i went off trying to find her. Spent about and hour with 3 drops of blood and gave up. Later on in the day found another blood trail but also gave up. Goat lost and i came to the colclusion that it hit the shoulder but the crappy rage wasnt strong enough to smash it. Shot was about 15-20yards

2nd goat was at about 30 yards. One of the nicest billy goats ive seen in the area. The mob was onto me but i was making some really bad bleets and they stuck around. Sent an arrow sailing into his chest from a broadside shot. I hate to say it but i didnt see the fluro yellow vanes, i did see the red blood though. I thought it was a good hit. I went up to where he was and looked for the start of the blood trail. Absolutely nothing, even where i hit him. Looked for about 2 hours and got nothing so i had to leave it. I went to look for the arrow hoping for a miss but it was nowhere to be found even though there was a rock wall right behind him when i shot.

After the shot i noticed the limbs/ riser where it bolts to the rail was loose. I :| I had them of the other day to see if it was easier to carry (it wasnt). I tightened them up as tight as i could but they must have come loose with the fisrt shot which resulted in not the full energy being put into the arrow. Resulting in 2 lost goats, 1 my nice billy.

Moral of the story, check your bolts. Ive found you can do these 2 up all the way, cock the bow and you can go more :wink: Life is a lesson
Pydpiper

Re: Loose bolts

Post by Pydpiper »

I am usually a bit of stickler when it comes to keeping an eye on bolts coming loose, this season I have not touched it.
I am pretty sure the mud, blood and corn stalks stuck in every crevice is holding it together.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Pydpiper wrote:I am pretty sure the mud, blood and corn stalks stuck in every crevice is holding it together.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I use the blue loctite on every screw . . .everytime . . .not so sure blood, mud, and corn stalk is a locking combination, but, I like the way you think. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Missen Were you from?

When you refrer to goats what kind are you hunting.
Around here goats are antelope.
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
Missin

Post by Missin »

Put red loctite on everything.....AGAIN!, blues for vixen shooters :lol:

When i talk about goats. i mean goats like...Heres a pic from my trail cam, im pretty sure this is the second one i shot at that day. Nice for out here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have to drive at least 3 hours north for the bigguns.