which one???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wilson

which one???

Post by wilson »

if you had a choice between the equinox or the vortex, putting the price differance aside- which would you choose? i'm new to this and trying to do some homework first...i'm 53 years old, also our local archery shop allows to upgrade to the lumi-zone scope for $40 more...what are your thoughts???
...thanks
2011 vortex
s5
lumi-zone
sumner4991

Re: which one???

Post by sumner4991 »

It's a toss up between the bows. I'd pick the one that felt the best as I raised it to my shoulder and held it there with your finger on the trigger. Comfort is the key to that choice.

I vote for the lumizone. I like the light gathering. I rarely use the lighted recticles . . .matter of fact, the battery expired a couple of months ago and I haven't replaced it. However, it gathers light much better than the varizone.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey Wilson,

Since you're 53, you'll probably want a Vixen. That's what the Over-The-Hill gang around here shoots :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, okay...that was just a joke ya'll...had to pull a few legs here... :D

Seriously, the Vortex is a lighter pullin' bow. It'll be easier to cock and easier on your equipment. As for trajectory, I doubt you'll notice much difference between the two at 30 yards or under. If you do, it'll be minimal at best.

But I would recommend you take a look at the Vixen II (150 lb) or any of the 175 lb models (Axiom, Phoenix, Ibex). They'll take anything that walks and they're easier to cock, plenty fast and scary accurate. This usually translates into shooting the bow more which means you'll be more confident in your shooting abilities.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its a personal choice man, If you can, get a chance to shoot both. But for me its a vortex. Either way you really cant lose!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

I have an Equinox and my son has the Vortex. Both great, I liked the full camo of the Equinox!
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Between them 2 models at 53 Vortex would be abit more comfortable specially out of tree stands
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Had both, only the Vortex stayed. The Equinox is a BEAST, harder to cock, harsher shot, hard on serving; not sure that the 15 fps or so is worth it.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I can order either at cost, but I went with the Excocet for my own use. It's not as loud, easier on servings, and it's plenty fast enough for my needs.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Whichever one YOU like best. :lol:

What really matters, and I think all the forum members will agree, is not the Vixen, Phoenix, Exocet, Exomag, Equinox........, (or all the rest), sticker on the side of the rail - it's the EXCALIBUR sticker on the other side!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We all have our favorite model(s), but if Excalibur only made one model crossbow most of us would still be shooting an Excalibur with a big grin on our face. :lol:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Cossack wrote:Had both, only the Vortex stayed. The Equinox is a BEAST, harder to cock, harsher shot, hard on serving; not sure that the 15 fps or so is worth it.
I haven't had both but do own and LOVE a Vortex. The issues that Cossack outlines are the very reason I went with the Vortex.
I don't regret my decision one bit....LOVE my Vortex!! :D

Oh...and did I mention that I just LOVE my Vortex!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
secret

Post by secret »

Get a EXOCET 200 They rule!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

wilson wrote:if you had a choice between the equinox or the vortex, putting the price differance aside- which would you choose? i'm new to this and trying to do some homework first...i'm 53 years old, also our local archery shop allows to upgrade to the lumi-zone scope for $40 more...what are your thoughts???
...thanks
Buy both!! :D cause someone will always want to borrow one of them!!
The best things in life are not things!!