First Crossbow - choosing between Axiom & Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Skoal Brother

First Crossbow - choosing between Axiom & Equinox

Post by Skoal Brother »

I just sold my compound bow and am looking forward to purchasing my first crossbow. Not sure which package to go with either the Axiom (305fps) or the Equinox (350fps) The axiom is $250 lss expensive but has a 14% slower speed.

Im very new to using a crossbow and have only shot a compund crossbow a couple of times. Do I need the extra speed? Does the bolt have a flatter trajectory, say from 10-25 yrds is the aiming point the same between these distances. Or should I save the $$ and go with the Axiom.

Any advice or thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated.
OkXbowHunter

Re: First Crossbow - choosing between Axiom & Equinox

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey Bro,

I have an Axiom and I've taken two deer already this year with it. It's a great bow. You can take anything that walks with this bad boy! My Axiom has cut vanes off of arrows at 40 yards. To say it's "scary accurate" is an understatement!

IMHO, 30 yards or under there isn't a deer alive that can duck an arrow from it. Also, the Axiom with it's 175lb draw weight will be easier on you, your arrows, targets, string, etc.

I'd save the money and get the Axiom. Take that money you saved and buy an STS system for it and a FFF string and you'll have yourself one hard shooting, deer killin' machine! (or any other critter for that matter!)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here are the charts. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/conten ... ballistics Your arrow set-up could be a little heavier than 400 grains, but, this gives you a guideline.

Both bows will do the job and do it very well.

Personally, I would choose the bow that feels best when shouldered. Same way I buy tennis shoes . . .forget the price tag and just buy the shoe that feels best when I walk around the store.

You are in a win-win situation.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
redeye

Post by redeye »

I have a equinox and I got a axiom for my son.We both have got bucks with them.He got a nice 8-point with his axiom and I've shot it and it very accurate with a better trigger feel.My equinox feels better to me with the thumbhole stock and the reach to the safety has never been a factor to me,I've got 3 bucks with it in 2 years and have had plenty of time to get the safety off before I needed to shoot.I've shot it a lot and still on the original serving,I push the serving back together and wax every time I practice.I don't think the faster wear is that big a deal unless you want to shoot all the time.My sons axiom shoots about as flat out to 40 yards.At that range and especially at 50 yards the equinox is better.I would feel very well equiped with his axiom under 40 yards but if I got a shot at the buck of a lifetime at 50 yards broadside or quartered away I would diffinitely be glad I had my equinox.We both shoot rage 2 blades and I like the extra speed for xpandadable BH's.If the choice becomes too hard you could just get a 200 pound CB and that fits you the best.I got the equinox since it is the flagship model,I'm impressedwith it and it won't be up for sale anytime soon.My son likes his axiom very much and it is a very good deal.If you don't want to spend the xtra 250 you'd still have a great CB.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My choice would be the Axiom. AT normal bow hunting range you won't notice the difference in speed,but you won't go wrong with either one.The excals are absolute dead nutz accurate killin machine's!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

:lol: Get the Vortex or Ibex better feeling if'en you hunt out of trees n stands.Unless you can handle the ultimate Excal the vixen! Think about it friend then choose a good one.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Go with the Equinox because we need all the help we can get. Were getting behind in kills on the forum. 8) 8) The old age club and their vixens are taken over. Joke you guys. :lol:
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Whichever one YOU like best. :lol:

What really matters, and I think all the forum members will agree, is not the Vixen, Phoenix, Exocet, Exomag, Equinox........, (or all the rest), sticker on the side of the rail - it's the EXCALIBUR sticker on the other side!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We all have our favorite model(s), but if Excalibur only made one model crossbow most of us would still be shooting an Excalibur with a big grin on our face. :lol:
wabi
Skoal Brother

Post by Skoal Brother »

Switched directions just a bit. Looks like I'm headed to an Exomax. Any suggestions on bolts and broadheads. Thanks for the help.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Skoal Brother wrote:Switched directions just a bit. Looks like I'm headed to an Exomax. Any suggestions on bolts and broadheads. Thanks for the help.
Save yourself a lot of headache and go with a mechanical. I perfer a 2" cut, three blade. There are probably four or five good choices out there. Vortex, Grim Reaper, Trophy Ridge . . .

I have really seen no differences in the three different brands of shafts I have used. Other than the weight, the straightness is about the same. I really like the Easton Powerbolts with 2" Blazers.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have a Phoenix. You don't need a lot of speed to get a deer, shot placement is the thing. A higher pound bow is flater shooting but I shoot 20 yards or so, so the Phoenix (175 pound) works well. Everbody has their own thing so you will have to make your own choice.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Skoal Brother

Post by Skoal Brother »

Came home today with my Exomax. Cant wait to get outside and start sighting it in. Thanks for all of the suggestions
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

mate, so you have the cash for either, if you have to choose between an equinox or a axiom mate go the phoenix heaps of grunt has dissipator bars better camo & the same power as the phoenix as the crew says much less wear & tear (strings & limbs) & other stuff, l'm a collector as well & love shooting the 200 & 225 lb excalibers but when l shot my first 175 lb bow l was hooked, mate dont waste your money. buy the phoenix. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Skoal Brother wrote:Came home today with my Exomax. Cant wait to get outside and start sighting it in. Thanks for all of the suggestions
hey mate still great bow its an excal enjoy ok, you''ll love it
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..