What to do with lost dog? (OWNER FOUND)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

What to do with lost dog? (OWNER FOUND)

Post by Pydpiper »

Coming past my house today I found a beagle nose planted to the ground going across my country property. When I called him he stopped and looked ashamed, I am thinking he pulled out of his collar and ran.
I put him in a large kennel on my front lawn for an hour or two, nobody stopped.
So what now? I won't call the pound, but I need to get the word out that I have him.
I have no tolerance for people who dump dogs in the country, but part of me hopes this guy has nobody looking for him.
How do I get the word out that I found him, I may let the local pound know that any inquiries can be directed to me, but I have no respect for how they deal with these things.
What is the best way to locate the owner? I have signs up in our two intersections now..
Last edited by Pydpiper on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Re: What to do with lost dog?

Post by Hi5 »

It would likely be impossible to know how far he travelled after he separated from his human. Maybe he was dumped off out in he country. Maybe he is disobedient and ran away. Maybe some kid is saddened and is missing the dog.

Maybe the Police, Conservation, Pound, and local Lost & Found would take note of inquiries from the person who had lost the dog, assuming a reoprt was made.

Good Luck. You are a good man to show that compassion and effort for another person's pet.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Post a sign at the nearest Tim Horton's
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Hey Pyed maybe try Kijiji> lots of folks look at that. Maybe Sobys in paris on the bulletin board and some posts in Princeton would be good too. If you can send me a pic I can put on my work web site lost and found for you.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Maybe he was dumped off out in he country. Maybe he is disobedient and ran away. Maybe some kid is saddened and is missing the dog.
My guess is he ran away. Very typical of the breed, they just follow their noses. Not a good dog to let run loose unsupervised if you live rurally.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Check for tatoos and take him to a vet to be scanned for a microchip! Some people are no where near as smart as you may think!

Good luck!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by roly »

You could try some of the local hunting groups
they may know of someone who lost a hound.

Or you could give him a name and let the kids enjoy him :lol: :lol:
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

CDN Taxman wrote:Check for tatoos and take him to a vet to be scanned for a microchip! Some people are no where near as smart as you may think!

Good luck!

Mike

+1, run away dogs show up where I work from time to time (1-2 per year) I drive them down the road to the vet clinic, they wave the reader over them and bingo, name, address everything for owner.....that is, if they are chipped.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I am sure you will do your best for the dog my friend. Dog would love hunting with you for coyotes. Mine sits with me on a leash and always watchs my back. If I turn around and look the way Simba is looking he will move around to watch my back. He just started doing it on his own. Dog would have a happy life with you if owner can't be found :) :) Good luck

And NO, I don't need a 4th dog! LOL From experiance, if it is a beagle mixed with Jack Russel, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! LOL Rumba can clear a 6 foot fence.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Got some internet stuff up, kids made some signs, and I will make some calls tomorrow.
In the meantime, someone is missing a dog, a really good dog.
He has a white stripe on the back of his head, shoulder to skull. My three year old daughter kept asking his name, none of us know.. After about the tenth time she asked my son lifted his head from his book and said "His name is "split, he has a split on his head and he split from his other family!" Can't ask for more than that!
Little bugger is pretty smart, listens to all basic commands, goes outside to pee, loves the kids and lets my Shepard/lab sniff him almost everywhere he goes, not to mention he walked up to the cat on his chair and just moved on. Dogs like this have families.
I will do what I can to locate his owner, if not he has a pretty accommodating place here.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

The best things in life are free!! I came into two of my best dogs the same way :D Tried to find their owners to no avail.
The best things in life are not things!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats how i got my dog Gussie. She is a JR/Beagle mix & was dumped on the hiway when she was barely weaned & had road rash on her head right side of her mouth. I cleaned her up took her home with me & she is mine! A most loving little dog that i dote on & share my meals with :lol: Beagle are great little dogs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Post lost and found pets on these websites for no charge:

Petfinder
Craigs List
Lost and Found
Find Fido
Missing Pet
Lost Dogs Database
Lost and Found Now
lostandfound.us
K911
Pets911
Lost and Pound
Fido Finder
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I think all dogs should be micro chipped. And all vets and humane society offices should be required to check for chips on every dog that comes through the door. No more lost or dumped dogs. My 2-cents.

And you're a good man for taking care of that beagle. :wink: Gary
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Your a good man for taking that dog in. My two cents would be to make an honest effort to spread the word around about the dog. Mention it at all your local meeting places. Post it at the resturants entrances. Mybe in your local lost and found in newspaper. When you have exshauted all avenures I would make it one of the family. Do what you got to do Pydpiper. I'm sure the dog would make a great friend. Aging :)