The end of an era.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

The end of an era.

Post by DuckHunt »

Today was a day I knew was coming and I knew I would be disappointed. Back in 2004 I was invited by a friend to hunt on a small piece of private property in Loudoun County, Virginia. It was small. 26 acres total until you subtract the part that is yard, lake, home, shed and work building. Then you are really looking at about 15 acres of woods much of which is too close to the house to hunt. So really, about 8 acres on top of a hill is all you have.

Since 2004 I have taken 39 deer from this little piece of heaven with 15 being antlered bucks. Virginia started allowing crossbows in 2005. I bought my ExoMax in 2006 and have taken 16 deer with it on this little parcel in five years. The hunting memories I will take from 'The Log' will be remembered forever. My first crossbow kill turned into a double within thirty minutes. Later that afternoon my young son took his first deer with my Exomax. Not ten minutes later, he also turned it into a double. We had four down in one day. 8) My three largest bucks were all taken there. A 9-point and an 8-point with my Exomax and a big 9 with black powder. It has been a hunters dream to hunt there.

Today I made my final trek up the mountain and retrieved all of my gear. It was a challenge hauling out almost 300 pounds of gear, but some ingenuity and a dear cart that has never really been useful worked out rather well. I really think we owe it to the landowners to leave things as we found them. I wanted to take everything out that I have brought in over the years. It was the least that I could do. I also made it a point to stop and talk with the landowner and let him know of my plans for this to be my last season hunting his property.
See, in January a deer was killed near Gore, Virginia some 40 miles away as the crow flies. That deer tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease, CWD. That single deer added Virginia to the list of states known to have deer test positive for CWD. Although the laws differ slightly from state to state and between provinces, generally you are not allowed to transport a deer carcass from a state where CWD has been detected to another state. This is done to help control the spread of the disease between herds. The deer must first be processed or completely boned out before it can be transported to an adjacent state. Antlers can only leave the state with a shiny clean skull plate.

This rule is meant to protect the herds of each state and I agree with them for the most part. It really doesn't impact residents of Virginia. It does however impact non-residents who live just over the border. Loudoun County doesn't have many deer processors. Most of them charge around $70 or higher to process a deer. I can justify the $240 a year in license fees because of the quantity of deer I can bring to the table. But if you add $70 per deer, it quickly becomes cost prohibitive. An average six deer year would cost me $660 in license and processing alone. Factor in broadheads and arrows and you really get into big bucks. :lol: I'm not really losing access to my hunting spot, I'm just being regulated out of it.

It really is the end of an era for me. See, West Virginia currently does not allow use of crossbows without having a disability. Many of our rules are in the stone ages and they seldom ever make any changes to the benefit of hunters. So I don't expect my crossbow to be legalized in West Virginia any time soon. I haven't decided yet if I will want to sell it or just let it sit for a while. I'm sure Excalibur will have some shiny new models available should I ever get the opportunity again.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Re: The end of an era.

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats sad fer you & its sad fer me. I enjoy yer hunting storys & the kills you made there. Mo. only allows Disabled with permit to use CB's, so i don't knowed if'en i am lucky to be Disabled! Like W Va., Mo. isn't wanting to change its archery laws either.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

What sucks is it was first discovered just across the state line from Gore in West Virginia. That means you could shoot one there and take it home with no problem and that's where the highest concentration of cases have been found. I live in the same county as Gore but the I 81 corridor is the dividing line for testing. I live on the east side of it. Loudoun is no where close to it IMHO. It's not really that difficult to bone one out. You could do that while they are hanging from tree and then take it home. Good luck and sorry. Man I wish I could find a place over there. Thats deer heaven
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sorry to hear of your being regulated out of a great hunting opportunity.

Sad part is that it's really a lot of guesswork on the government officials & biologists part that such measures will have any effect on stopping the spread of disease.
I'd guess a lot higher risk comes from the natural spread through the deer population itself, than you hauling a carcass a short trip home on the other side of the state line.

I've often wondered if it could be spread by something like ticks or mosquitoes. Seem like a logical possibility to me.
wabi
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

wabi wrote:I've often wondered if it could be spread by something like ticks or mosquitoes. Seem like a logical possibility to me
Wabi, that is a good thought. I wonder if serious research has been given to this possibility.

When it was first discovered the research facility had all the deer taken out and it was cleaned, but when deer were brought back in they also contracted it. I wonder what their process was to clean the facility? And like you said about ticks and mosquitoes carrying it, they would not all be killed, and when animals come back in, parasite populations go back up too. I imagine that even fleas could carry the disease too. Look at what fleas did to Europe with the "Black Death" in the middle ages. Little bugs carry more than we suspect. I remember reading an article by Charles Alsheimer where he said he had scoffed at Lyme disease until he was bit by a black fly (I think it was) and got it from that fly.

It would be good to hear some solid evidence and a plan for this disease, rather than, as you also said, "a lot of guesswork on the government officials & biologists part." Look at all the states that have banned bating. And now look at our province that has banned real deer lures, allowing only artificial (for fear that the real might come from a contaminated farm)...and probably we will soon loose bating too. And all of this is speculation and legation while the disease continues to spread unchecked.

The worst part is that now, in the are this post is the subject of, they are loosing hunters. Fewer hunters means increased deer population, and increased deer population is the only thing that seems to connect the cases of CWD, meaning that now there is a higher chance for more deer to have CWD...

Sounds like things are going to get worse before they get better for you guys down south.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
secret

Post by secret »

I feel for you! i just drove by a place that i have been hunting for 27 years and found it posted!!! Signs stating due to the damage that quads have done to my property no hunting period! dont ask its no!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

PA has a law where you can bring deer home from those states that have CWD....just can't bring any part of the spinal cord/brain home with you....CWD wouldn't stop me from hunting that spot you have had all those years........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Do a search here on the Alaska methode of butchering or cleaning a deer.

Why not de bone the deer in the feilds wrap in cheese cloth?

I would figure out a way. Don't give up on that spot, no one that good!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey DuckHunt, I feel for ya! So sad to hear that story. A double loss.

Like others have said, I think I'd just debone the buggers in the field. and take 'em home. Saw off the antlers just leaving the skull cap...of course I don't know the specific laws, but it's a bad situation.

Hope you have a change of heart and figure something out. I'll miss your stories! :(
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You need to learn to butcher , keep a vacation day in reserve kill a deer call in the sick/vacation day butcher the deer and take it home.
Or move
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

I'll make it easy on ya. Lets hunt it together and I'll debone the first few for you in trade for permission to hunt. You know they're worse than flys there :D .
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Really a sad story and a shame you had to leave. Change is always a constant is'nt it. I hope you find a solution to what happened. You will always have great memories in your mind and trophies to look at on the wall. Best of luck to you.
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Yep I definitely say skin and de-bone your kills in the field! I used to do it that way before I owned a quad just to save having to drag the deer entirely uphill (VERY STEEP) from where I hunt to my vehicle. I packed an entire deer out on my back with my Nimrod pack system, not to mention when you do get it home there is less to deal with, NO processing costs and you've handled your game from field to freezer and know exactly how it was handled (which I really like). I think it adds to the pleasure of the overall hunt AND best-of-all in your case...YOU GET TO KEEP HUNTING YOUR CURRENT LOCATION!
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sad story, I hope it all works out in the end.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
frisky

Post by frisky »

DuckHunt
Sad story, I feal your pain. The property I hunt is getting over run over by sub divisions. Every year I say this is the last , and every year one more buck passes through the property :D The owner is 84 years old and could leave us at anytime :( That 20 acers have been good to me!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting